2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

F350 vs F450, what are the differences?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 11:25 AM
Johnpsz
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
F350 vs F450, what are the differences?

I am debating between a '17 F350 and a '17 F450, I have only been able to test drive a few F350s as not to many local dealerships have 450's on the lot. I have done a ton of research, but have questions as to a few of the differences I was told by salesmen (you know, they guys that don't know crap about what they sell).

True or false:
The 450 doesn't support the TPMS because the 110PSI tires.
The 450 rides exactly the same as the 350.
The 450 has a better turning radius than the 350.
It takes longer to get a 450 than a 350 when you order.

I hate to place an order for an $80+K truck that I haven't been able to at least test drive something similar. All the salesmen keep telling me the ride is no different than the 350's on their lot that I have test drove (all with 4.10's so it should be close to comparable). I find that a little hard to believe as I know that the tires themselves are stiffer and should produce at least a slightly stiffer ride, but hopefully not as stiff as the 07 Ram I would be trading in on it.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:39 AM
theboom
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
True or false questions:
1. I'm not sure. I don't think they do but I may be wrong.
2. False. The larger heavier wheels and tires and stiffer springs make the 450 ride worse. If you daily drive, it might be a factor.
3. True. 450 has widetrack front axle allowing tighter turning.
4. I believe true. From what I have heard it takes longer to get a 450. I have yet to see a 450 on lots. Seen plenty of 350's.

What are you towing and how often do you tow it? I personally want a 350 drw because it offers VERY close towing to the 450 and a better ride. Also rear axle is the same on the 350 vs 450 so no difference there and I believe front axle is same rating as well just the 450 can turn sharper like I said. If you tow a lot, like 25k+, often (like on a regular basis) then I would go for the 450. I want the 350 because most of the time I will be towing around 20k but like and will use capability of the occasional (admitted very occasional but it still will happen) 30k when needed and want a nicer riding truck because it will be my daily. The towing capacity used to be much bigger between the 350 and 450 but now I believe it's only about 1200lbs(31,300 vs 32,500). Also payload is higher by about 1000lbs I think in the 350. I know in reality the 450 would be higher but on paper and legally the 350 is.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:59 AM
kansas gary
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thing you should think about on the F-450.... The only thing that will be an upgrade to it is to buy yourself a over the road tractor... Nothing else is going to top the F-450 for pulling any kind of trailer...........

Old 02-13-2017, 12:05 PM
Johnpsz
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by theboom
True or false questions:
1. I'm not sure. I don't think they do but I may be wrong.
2. False. The larger heavier wheels and tires and stiffer springs make the 450 ride worse. If you daily drive, it might be a factor.
3. True. 450 has widetrack front axle allowing tighter turning.
4. I believe true. From what I have heard it takes longer to get a 450. I have yet to see a 450 on lots. Seen plenty of 350's.

What are you towing and how often do you tow it? I personally want a 350 drw because it offers VERY close towing to the 450 and a better ride. Also rear axle is the same on the 350 vs 450 so no difference there and I believe front axle is same rating as well just the 450 can turn sharper like I said. If you tow a lot, like 25k+, often (like on a regular basis) then I would go for the 450. I want the 350 because most of the time I will be towing around 20k but like and will use capability of the occasional (admitted very occasional but it still will happen) 30k when needed and want a nicer riding truck because it will be my daily. The towing capacity used to be much bigger between the 350 and 450 but now I believe it's only about 1200lbs(31,300 vs 32,500). Also payload is higher by about 1000lbs I think in the 350. I know in reality the 450 would be higher but on paper and legally the 350 is.
Thanks for the quick answers.

I feel a little dumb answering what I tow because it is so much lighter than some other guys, but I will explain more after I answer the question.

My 5th wheel camper is only ~15K, my gooseneck car hauler is just under 10K with my drag car, but can handle 14K if I put a heavier car/truck on it, I also have a gooseneck debris/dump trailer that is full of gravel for the new hardscape work we are doing around the house and I haven't weighed it but it stressed my current truck more than either of the other 2 mentioned above when I brought it home with 6 yards of gravel (rough guess 17-18K, but maybe more).

I know my weights do not "Require" a F450, heck maybe even not a dually to some people as my current truck is a SRW. However, those people aren't married to my wife, nor do they do long distance RV trips with a 7yr old and a 3.5yr old...

Here is what my wife want's in our next truck:
"The biggest truck so when/if we upgrade our 5th wheel, we don't have to worry about the truck being able to handle it, it must be a dually" and in other conversations she says "I want to to be quiet and comfortable for the long cross country trips we take".

Also, the truck is rarely used as a daily driver, maybe a couple times a month without a trailer of some sort on it.

So with the capabilities so close, but the nicer ride in the 350, and since I will not be stretching the limits of those capabilities do you guys think I'd be happier with the 350 over the 450?

Old 02-13-2017, 12:05 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kansas gary

Another thing you should think about on the F-450.... The only thing that will be an upgrade to it is to buy yourself a over the road tractor... Nothing else is going to top the F-450 for pulling any kind of trailer...........
It is a shame he had to get that jeep to push him across the sand.......

Old 02-13-2017, 12:08 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with the above comments. Just tell your wife whatever points toward the truck you want. She'll believe you won't she? Facts can muddy up a marriage pretty quickly (so can lies, you have to find that nice "in between")

Old 02-13-2017, 12:14 PM
theboom
Tuned
Originally Posted by Johnpsz
Thanks for the quick answers.

I feel a little dumb answering what I tow because it is so much lighter than some other guys, but I will explain more after I answer the question.

My 5th wheel camper is only ~15K, my gooseneck car hauler is just under 10K with my drag car, but can handle 14K if I put a heavier car/truck on it, I also have a gooseneck debris/dump trailer that is full of gravel for the new hardscape work we are doing around the house and I haven't weighed it but it stressed my current truck more than either of the other 2 mentioned above when I brought it home with 6 yards of gravel (rough guess 17-18K, but maybe more).

I know my weights do not "Require" a F450, heck maybe even not a dually to some people as my current truck is a SRW. However, those people aren't married to my wife, nor do they do long distance RV trips with a 7yr old and a 3.5yr old...

Here is what my wife want's in our next truck:
"The biggest truck so when/if we upgrade our 5th wheel, we don't have to worry about the truck being able to handle it, it must be a dually" and in other conversations she says "I want to to be quiet and comfortable for the long cross country trips we take".

Also, the truck is rarely used as a daily driver, maybe a couple times a month without a trailer of some sort on it.

So with the capabilities so close, but the nicer ride in the 350, and since I will not be stretching the limits of those capabilities do you guys think I'd be happier with the 350 over the 450?
I think the 350 would be better. She wants the biggest truck so you don't have to upgrade which is the 450 but like I said 350 is very close now, 31,300 vs 32,500, unlike in the past. Also she wants a nice ride when towing the camper so 350 rides better. You summed it up perfectly in that last statement in my opinion.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:17 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
My family and I spent quite a while test driving both. They rode nearly identical. If I wasn't making the crazy tight turns the F450 can make, I don't think any of us could tell the difference from the inside.

The F450 is WAY easier to park and navigate in tight spaces (e.g. parking lots, city streets). I'm sure it will be easier to put my camper on the spots I want with the wide-track turning as well.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:22 PM
theboom
Tuned
Originally Posted by 2009kr
My family and I spent quite a while test driving both. They rode nearly identical. If I wasn't making the crazy tight turns the F450 can make, I don't think any of us could tell the difference from the inside.

The F450 is WAY easier to park and navigate in tight spaces (e.g. parking lots, city streets). I'm sure it will be easier to put my camper on the spots I want with the wide-track turning as well.
I can agree, the 450 can turn noticeably sharper but I have experienced and heard otherwise about the ride being the same. Personal opinion I guess.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:26 PM
rustyshakelford
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I recommend the 350 for you! If your wife will drive it much at all she would appreciate the handling characteristics too. The 350 can handle just about any camper you can find. We went with the 450 for my 30k lb trailer

brett

Old 02-13-2017, 12:29 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rustyshakelford
I recommend the 350 for you! If your wife will drive it much at all she would appreciate the handling characteristics too. The 350 can handle just about any camper you can find. We went with the 450 for my 30k lb trailer

brett
I take it that benefits of the 7.5' smaller turning circle aren't enough to offset the ride difference for you? The bigger brakes are nice as well - the brake pads are WAY bigger on the F450.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:35 PM
rustyshakelford
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2009kr
I take it that benefits of the 7.5' smaller turning circle aren't enough to offset the ride difference for you? The bigger brakes are nice as well - the brake pads are WAY bigger on the F450.
Man I love my 450. However, unless you really need the benefit of the tigger turning and bigger brakes the 350 would be the best choice. People love their 350s and live with the turning radius of it. If I ordered again, I'd get a 450 but we use it. If you travel where the roads suck or used up asphalt it's gonna be a white knuckled ride. It'll send you all over. That's the only negative. I have yet to have my truck downshift when pulling. While waiting on the new tractor the most I've pulled has only been about 12k but it's a hoss

brett

Old 02-13-2017, 12:37 PM
ravill
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no tpms in the 450. Personally, I like it like that.

You can only get one rear end gear choice.

You might need commercial insurance and registration with a 450.

You will future proof all your toy needs.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:47 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rustyshakelford
Man I love my 450. However, unless you really need the benefit of the tigger turning and bigger brakes the 350 would be the best choice. People love their 350s and live with the turning radius of it. If I ordered again, I'd get a 450 but we use it. If you travel where the roads suck or used up asphalt it's gonna be a white knuckled ride. It'll send you all over. That's the only negative. I have yet to have my truck downshift when pulling. While waiting on the new tractor the most I've pulled has only been about 12k but it's a hoss

brett
It is really nice for actual owners to share the plusses and minuses of their truck, so thanks!

From my test drives, both the F350 DRW and F450 bounced around some when the road was rough. Maybe I didn't have enough seat time to discern the difference, but I think a F350 DRW with 80 PSI in the rear tires bounces similarly to a F450 running 70 PSI (which is more than enough for the 9900# rating according to the tire manufacturer).

Old 02-13-2017, 12:48 PM
oklarado
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F-350. Your wife will complain if she ever drives the F450 because they do wander on the road.

Quick Reply: F350 vs F450, what are the differences?