Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Jump Seat Console Lid Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Jump Seat Console Lid Replacement

I am posting this here so more folks can see it. It is up in the 99-16 Super Duty section.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...placement.html

Old 02-13-2017, 08:45 AM
Capt.Schenk
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, when I read the thread title I was hoping to find a fix or a link to a cheap replacement. Mine has two issues, and I think I started a thread with photos a couple years ago. My first issue is/was the front driver's side corner was weak. It didn't take much pressure to push it down. When I first got the truck, it was firm. I think one of my boys jumped on it. To try to correct this, I installed a shelf bracket on the inside of the console and it firmed it up good enough for me. My second issue is the plastic in the lid is cracked. I removed the padding from the lid and epoxied some flat pieces of plastic over the cracks. That worked-out pretty well too. I hate leaning on the console with my elbow and hearing creaks and pops, and I hate that it's not firm. My repairs have been good enough, but if I could find a good/cheap replacement of the entire assembly, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:32 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
My truck had been sitting in the sun for years with the windows rolled up. The pad edges all rolled up as well and looked like crap. Figured I wouldn't make any worse if I pulled it apart. I broke off a few of the clips on removal but I got it off. Lol I removed the upholstery from the foam and found the material is what shrunk up. I got out the 4" sander and shaved about a 1/4" of foam off all over the upholstered surface. Re stretched it over the foam and used spray on upholstery glue to keep it in place. I threw it back together and never really gave it any more thought until I saw this post. I also glued the lid down to the plastic surface.

I bet you could carve the shape out of any type of wood and throw your old upholstery over it and it would be golden?

Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2017, 04:52 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

I am shooting for a finished wood product that would either match the trim in some Limited and Lariat trucks, or be customized with something you would want engraved/embossed/inlaid into the wood surface. So it would be a polished wood finish, not fiber board or plywood. I will keep the factory latch on the front of the lid as well, and incorporate it into the wooden lid. It will also incorporate the hinges on the storage bin, so it could be installed in a minute or two. Still working on the final idea, but the guy I asked to make me something to replace mine gets what I am after. I told him it has to be one solid piece of wood. Glued pieces won't cut it in a 130* Texas truck interior. They would come apart in no time.

I don't have an engraving machine and such, but I could easily cover a piece of plywood and slap some vinyl on it. I am after something nice and refined for the wife to look at, though.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:19 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Got photos of the template. The latch works and all. The wood is raw and untreated/unstained.

From here, he can now make the lids out of different woods, maybe engrave them, inset badges/insignias/emblems, stain them to match your wood trim interior (if you have it), stain them your favorite wood color, etc.

This is a rough template. May make it a 1/4" thinner to cut a little weight and bring it to flush with the front padding around the cup holder. This template is made of pine, which is pretty light, but still a tad heavy for my liking. I'll post more pics as it is refined a bit more, and I may inset something into this one to show how that would look. Anyone have anything they would like to see inlaid in the lid that would appeal to the masses?

Customization options are numerous, and all the broken lids out there could have a replacement option soon.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:56 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

More progress on the new lid:

Yes, the stitching is rough. I just threw this together to make sure it would work. It works!

Debating on whether to cover it with vinyl or finish it with a stain. Should have install pics in the truck this weekend.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:22 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
If you stain it, you might apply 3x coats of varnish, too. It will eventually get nasty/dark/dirty from the sweat on your arm.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:01 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Good advice, and that is in the cards this weekend. Thanks, Steve. I have pics of the finished lids...I made two. One covered in vinyl, and the other is stained. Here are pics:

S&W Mod. 410 on top. M&P on bottom.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:48 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool idea.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:10 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Got the seat and custom lid installed.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:24 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mike -Finish looks good - Nice job. When mine craps out I'll go that route for sure.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:56 PM
Dirtscooter250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That does look nice! Was just about to ask about the door panel colored door locks but then I realized it was an Excursion...

Old 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
jnk317
New User
Does your buddy have a website? How much for one just like your wood one, without the underside holster mount?

Old 08-31-2018, 12:24 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

He does not have a website. I know he has several ready to go. It will depend on what type of wood you like and the finish. Let me contact him (I just sold my house and moved), and I should be able to get some pics PM'd to you.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:09 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Great concept and execution!. You can get some beautiful and tough-wearing options with some highly figured exotic hardwood and a built up film of high gloss pre-cat lacquer clear coat.

Quick Reply: Jump Seat Console Lid Replacement