1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1949 ford f1 vs f47

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 05:44 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Welcome to the site

Kalon;

Welcome to the site, you look like you have a solid project. If the motor and rest of the powertrain are in good shape, I think you stole it based on today's market. Did you post the frame and motor serial numbers ? Would substantiate its history, but as you said it was your great uncle's truck, which makes it more special.

Really glad you are going with the stock resto for now.

Your plan may change based on your findings mechanically.
Frame off and getting brakes, steering, etc sorted out would be first on your list. It is really easy to focus on a lot of little details on these projects, but it will keep you out of mischief.....and money. If you get it mechanically sound, then I'd try to tackle rust on the cab, floor and box first, fenders may need some work at running board area.

Edit: Just noticed that the box has raised panels that mate up to the fenders, which should put it fairly early in the 1950 assembly date.

I am located west of Calgary.

I'm subscribing to your build, good luck with your project.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:18 PM
Tienmac
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Old 03-03-2017, 11:29 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
This is what could be

Tienmac: one beautiful truck!

Kalon: You don't have to set the bar as high as Tienmac but that shows you what a stock Ford can become when restored.

However you decide, hoping you get good results back on your powertrain so you can start unbolting stuff.

Looking forward to your progress. Once the weather improves I may do a road trip some day, I'm not far from you (3-4 Hrs)

Old 03-03-2017, 11:53 AM
Tienmac
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Kalon and Kirk,

I put up some pictures of my truck as Kirk had requested. Please use them as a reference for a restored to original 1951 Canadian F-1 truck. I have parts and other manuals for reference. I didn't do the restoration, as it was done in '97 by the previous owner. I was fortunate enough to purchase the truck and my challenge is to keep the truck in this condition and share it with others at local shows, cruises, etc.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:21 PM
Kalon Ternes
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=tip49;17000463]Tienmac: one beautiful truck!

Kalon: You don't have to set the bar as high as Tienmac but that shows you what a stock Ford can become when restored.

However you decide, hoping you get good results back on your powertrain so you can start unbolting stuff.

Looking forward to your progress. Once the weather improves I may do a road trip some day, I'm not far from you (3-4 Hrs)

Hey have not posted the model or serial numbers. The truck is sitting at an old farm we have so once I go pick it up ill take more photos of the truck and of the serial numbers. Should be sometime this spring once I get some time off work, I'll post the pics here and any info is greatly appreciated!

Old 03-06-2017, 11:17 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Kalon,
Welcome Aboard! Nice truck! It's good to see another '49/'50
getting saved. You asked where would you start the restoration process.
Hmmm...

o It's real easy to tear these old trucks apart ... then you have a pile of parts in the corner for two or three years...
It's hard to stay motivated.

o Personally ... I'd do exactly what you are doing change out all the fluids
& try to get it running & driving. Then I'd do weekend projects to get it back in shape while keeping it running.

o I'd get a new gas tank & lines. These tanks get all rusty & full of crud. Too hard to get it all out & it can cause all
kinds of crazy issues. (We put a 22 gallon '70 Mustang tank out back under the bed for $120 from Rock Auto.

o I'd change out all the steel brake lines - they rust out from the inside.
They aren't too expensive & stopping is nice. Change to a double chamber master cylinder while you are there.
Nice not to lose all of your brakes at once.

Have fun with it. Try to fight the urge to turn it into a big pile of parts.
You can fight the rust later - Body Work might be a good winter project.

Good luck up there in Alberta!

Ben in Austin (TX)
1950 F1

Old 03-07-2017, 04:11 PM
Kalon Ternes
New User
Hey Ben, thanks for the insight. I'll post updates as I go and any other advice you got for me is appreciated as I'm gonna have a million questions once I start the project!

Kalon

Old 04-08-2017, 05:13 PM
Kalon Ternes
New User
Got the truck home!

So finally got the truck home. I attached the serial number under the hood it would be nice if someone had some info they could share on that. Also took a pic of the FORD on the tailgate, I know there was different tailgates on these trucks so it would be nice to get some info on that. Also got a picture of the front end. Have a look and any comments appreciated.

Plan for the summer get her running and make sure the powertrain is all good!

Attached Images        
Old 10-28-2018, 04:45 PM
F47
New User
Tail Gate

Nice project.
I have not been on this form for a very long time, but happened to see your posts.
Regarding the tailgate, I think the Ford script was correct on a 49. I thought they changed to the block letters in 1950 part way through the year perhaps, or maybe not till 51.
(I have seen 1950 Canadian trucks with the ford scroll too.) My original 49 had the script tailgate.

Good luck with the restoration.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:33 AM
Cobravii
Junior User
Hi,

Nice project :-)

i saw the licence plate..... are you in Saskatchewan? if so, what part? I grew up there but have lived in Alberta for the last 25 years.
Mines a '50 F47

Larry

Old 12-29-2018, 04:10 PM
Kalon Ternes
New User
Originally Posted by Cobravii
Hi,

Nice project :-)

i saw the licence plate..... are you in Saskatchewan? if so, what part? I grew up there but have lived in Alberta for the last 25 years.
Mines a '50 F47

Larry
South west Sask small town in Fox Valley.... Bout 40 minutes north of Maple Creek.... but currently reside in Medicine Hat.... You got a picture of your truck always like to see new ideas of how guys restored them. Been working on it a little when I have time, just waiting for a few parts then going to fire it up for the first time or attempt to.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:14 PM
Cobravii
Junior User
Originally Posted by Kalon Ternes
South west Sask small town in Fox Valley.... Bout 40 minutes north of Maple Creek.... but currently reside in Medicine Hat.... You got a picture of your truck always like to see new ideas of how guys restored them. Been working on it a little when I have time, just waiting for a few parts then going to fire it up for the first time or attempt to.

Ahh been there done that ;-) i took a video.

here's my build album on facebook. My mom and dad lived in Regina. When dad passed away he left me the truck. I had heard rumours it ran well but didn't know for sure.
https://www.facebook.com/larry.loren...5495213&type=3

Larry

Old 02-04-2019, 03:51 PM
Kalon Ternes
New User
Originally Posted by Tienmac
Kalon and Kirk,

I put up some pictures of my truck as Kirk had requested. Please use them as a reference for a restored to original 1951 Canadian F-1 truck. I have parts and other manuals for reference. I didn't do the restoration, as it was done in '97 by the previous owner. I was fortunate enough to purchase the truck and my challenge is to keep the truck in this condition and share it with others at local shows, cruises, etc.
Hey there, was curious where you get your oil filters from? I have the exact setup as your 51 and the previous filter was a NAPA filter but they discontinued them. Ive looked on line and went to numerous auto part suppliers and haven't found one. You can do the conversion kit or just get of it completely but was hoping to keep it original. Thanks Kalon