2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Anyone have a problem with the Intelligent key door handle sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 12:57 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 535 Likes on 259 Posts
Anyone have a problem with the Intelligent key door handle sensors?

The last couple of days I can grab the door handle with the fob in my pocket and nothing happens. The lock pad works but not the handle. It has been snowy and salty but the handle is relatively clean. Anyone experience this?

Old 02-12-2017, 01:12 PM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
YES!!!! And Ford can not fix it! At least in my case they can not. The door unlocks then locks in a flicker. At first it was just the door handle sensors. Then keyfob. Both keyfob. It does the exact same thing for unlocking and will repeat doing it until you walk away and come back.

7 weeks later not fixed and no solution.

Not sure if that is what you are seeing but.. I made a thread about all my problems and I have many.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:37 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Hopefully not the same prob as yours, Sleepy. Mine has worked fine since October 4th when I bought it. When I touch the door handle nothing happens. Have tried several ways. Will try the passenger side.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:40 PM
Xwild
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I may be, but since this is my first truck with a fob, I've been writing it off as it being a user issue... I've had it unlock/lock on me, and I thought I was maybe pulling the handle a touch too soon, or maybe also touching the lock spot on the outside too soon after.. so I've been being more deliberate about it, and it seems to be better.. almost like there's not quite enough delay in the system?

Old 02-12-2017, 01:40 PM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
BCM or body control module is what handles the inputs. Also linked to the ECM I think they referred to it as which controls all electronics features like cameras and such.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:54 PM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Troverman, be sure to let us know how this one turns out for you.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:33 PM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
First excuse will be interfearance. Where are you parked when this happens. What do you have in your pockets. Have you tried both fobs. Does it do the same thing on both doors.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:42 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Passenger door works. Drivers worked after grabbing it and rubbing the back of the handle a bunch of times. We'll see if it improves once the snow stops.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:04 PM
coolidge54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Once every 2-3 weeks it seems to unlock and relock a couple three times before it opens. Otherwise it works fine, fob always works.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:40 AM
troverman
Hotshot
So as a follow up, the snow is all done, and the smart key is back to working totally normally on both doors. No major problem. Apparently the snow, salt, and water confuses the touch sensor.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:28 AM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
On the whole truck or just the handles? If so my truck will not work for 6 months of the year.

Where did you get told snow, salt, and or water effects the doors?

The Volvo has worked flawlessly for years with exact same type of system. Seems like poor excuse to me to be honest or Volvo makes better vehicles.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:31 AM
camping nut
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
The ones on my wife's Ford Edge have never had a problem. Not sure if they are the same system. Also on a side not the ones on my Honda work flawlessly.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:45 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Sleepyguy
On the whole truck or just the handles? If so my truck will not work for 6 months of the year.

Where did you get told snow, salt, and or water effects the doors?

The Volvo has worked flawlessly for years with exact same type of system. Seems like poor excuse to me to be honest or Volvo makes better vehicles.
What do you mean "on the whole truck or just the handles?" We've had heavy snow / light snow / ice for the last couple of weeks. Driving through the salty slush kicked up a lot all over the door handles in addition to the rest of the truck. Touching the back of the handle as usual did not recognize and the door did not unlock. However, the lock pad always worked.

Now that the handles are dry (and cleaner) again, they are working fine.

Nobody at Ford told me this...I drew my own conclusion. I've seen water affects the handles...back in the fall when washing my truck, spraying water in the area of the door handles would cause the truck to unlock and then lock repeatedly.

In reality, I didn't get that concerned. The keyless entry worked properly, and the punch-pd on the door pillar also let me in.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:18 AM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Doing some research it appears these systems. Not just Ford but most smart key systems the car sends out signals on a constant bases. When the key is in range it picks it up and responds. Thus saving battery life on the key fob by not always transmitting.

So if they door is not responding it's likely the signal is not being sent or received.

Once activated the car should be able to tell if it's locked or unlocked and respond accordingly. There is why my truck had problems. It seemed to see the key and get the signals but not do the right action.

Like sitting in the office chair spin you around a dozen times then tell you to walk north. The truck did not understand the input after the formalities of authentication was dealt with.

Anyways I am learning as a write this. Interesting stuff.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:22 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Sleepyguy
Doing some research it appears these systems. Not just Ford but most smart key systems the car sends out signals on a constant bases. When the key is in range it picks it up and responds. Thus saving battery life on the key fob by not always transmitting....
If you buy a GM truck, nothing to worry about. They don't offer this system at any cost. Not even a flip-key, either. Just a fob dangling off the chain.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a problem with the Intelligent key door handle sensors?