Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Chirp versus honk?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 11:45 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
Chirp versus honk?

Has anyone re-wired their truck to "chirp" instead of honk when you double-bump the lock button? The horn is OK, but is fairly disruptive. Would rather there was a diminutive "chirp" instead. I just don't know if this is even possible?

Old 02-12-2017, 12:45 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Since the Body Control Module (BCM) controls when, why and for how long the horn sounds I doubt that there is any easy way of doing this short of re-writing the firmware in the BCM.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:53 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
I was just wondering (kind of out loud), whether there was a separate lead that activated the horn electronically; separate from the actual horn button on the steering wheel? What kind of "chirper" so to speak, would be up to the installer.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:08 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Actually, the horn button isn't connected to the horn. It sends a signal to the BCM which activates the horn relay in the under hood power distribution box which then activates the horn. Ain't computers wonderful! Two thousand dollars worth of electronics to honk the horn!

Old 02-12-2017, 02:08 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
So maybe what we need is an intelligent switch in between that can distinguish between a chirp command and an actual honk?

Old 02-12-2017, 10:12 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd just like to shut down the feature that honks the horn when you get out with the truck running......It usually happens at the most in opportune times, like opening the gate at the deer lease at 04:00 in the A.M.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:03 PM
benwalt
Senior User
Originally Posted by RigTrash601
I'd just like to shut down the feature that honks the horn when you get out with the truck running......It usually happens at the most in opportune times, like opening the gate at the deer lease at 04:00 in the A.M.
That must just be on the higher end models? My XLT never does that and I'm in and out of the truck with the engine running all the time.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:10 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Yeah, if you have the push button start, and get so many feet away from the truck with it running, with the key in your pocket, it honks twice.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:44 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry to be a smart A....

You could lock the truck before leaving
You could hit the lock button only once
You could manually lock the truck with the keys
You could hit the last two buttons on the keypad to lock the doors (7/8 and 9/0 at same time)

Lots of options! I realize you're talking about an aftermarket solution but please don't make the trucks sound like Toyotas chirps. Besides being obnoxiously cute, it cuts down on the usefulness of finding your truck in a parking lot when the chirps don't travel so far.

I do have that one customer who insist on getting an air horn....

Old 02-13-2017, 08:38 AM
benwalt
Senior User
Yeah, if you have the push button start, and get so many feet away from the truck with it running, with the key in your pocket, it honks twice.

Ah, got it.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:58 PM
seadragon
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PupnDuck
Actually, the horn button isn't connected to the horn. It sends a signal to the BCM which activates the horn relay in the under hood power distribution box which then activates the horn. Ain't computers wonderful! Two thousand dollars worth of electronics to honk the horn!
That explains the damn delay between hitting the horn button and hearing it. It's very hard to give a friendly "toot" with this horn. It's always in "get the #*%# outta my way" mode.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:28 PM
Bandera
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Frantz
Sorry to be a smart A....

You could lock the truck before leaving
You could hit the lock button only once
You could manually lock the truck with the keys
You could hit the last two buttons on the keypad to lock the doors (7/8 and 9/0 at same time)

Lots of options! I realize you're talking about an aftermarket solution but please don't make the trucks sound like Toyotas chirps. Besides being obnoxiously cute, it cuts down on the usefulness of finding your truck in a parking lot when the chirps don't travel so far.

I do have that one customer who insist on getting an air horn....

I don't like it either. But until I get around to getting that double honk eliminated, what I do is just close the door but not enough to make it latch (the interior lights stay on). That way it won't honk at 2 in the morning when I'm checking my mail (and pissin off all the neighbors) !

Old 02-13-2017, 10:42 PM
rmccbride
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This along with lots of other neat stuff is easy done using the Forscan program and the correct OBII reader..

Want your mirrors to automatically fold when truck is locked? Fun to stand there and roll up the windows, fold the mirrors and lock the truck all via the fob...

Old 02-14-2017, 05:46 PM
Beachums
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Forscan....will do that.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:57 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
I'm about to make a few software changes, like 2 presses for horn honk, disable seat belt/door open chimes, with forescan.
This isn quite a program, can see and watch all sensors digitally or oscilliscope, Will post success rate

Last edited by Curt's05; 02-18-2017 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: Chirp versus honk?