Where are you camping this summer

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 12:44 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Originally Posted by defekticon
We're departing MD Tomorrow to head for South Dakota. No reservations until we get back to Destin, FL in August. We're trying to do things a little differently this trip and see how it goes. Hoping to see as much of the midwest National Parks as possible but our plans are totally flexible.
If you have not been to the Badlands National Park, hit that up. My wife and I have been several times during our travel across the country.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:09 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by defekticon
We're departing MD Tomorrow to head for South Dakota. No reservations until we get back to Destin, FL in August. We're trying to do things a little differently this trip and see how it goes. Hoping to see as much of the midwest National Parks as possible but our plans are totally flexible.
I'm in Rapid City... Holler if you need ...

Old 06-30-2017, 09:24 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerky's_06 F350
Never boondocked before. Nice link. Have to explore solar/battery options since I run a cpap at night.

John
Me too and I got the 12v adapter for mine as the brick just converted 110 to 12v. Installed a 12v outlet at my headboard and it uses very little battery. Easiest upgrade is to swap Group 24 for Group 27, but I went the dual 6V and solar option.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:28 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Our main camping is in Boothbay, ME and Meredith, NH, but we've been cross country and back twice and also have Letchworth SP in NY plus eastern TN on the agenda for the fall.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:12 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I go to a church run RV park in central PA for the summer to do some class-A trout water fishing. I'd tell you all about it, but I like the fact no one knows it is there.

Castaways RV Resort just outside Ocean City, MD is really nice. The campground is right on the beach tucked behind the unpopulated section of Assateague State Park with a free shuttle to the boardwalk. Some of the sites right by the beach are a little packed-in, but the sites further back are a nice size. There's a premium section that is gated if you want to spend a little more and be right on the water.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:40 AM
Super Duty DJ
More Turbo
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts
Heading out in about a week for an eight day trip in the Uncompaghre National Forest in southwest Colorado. All boondocking, which should be good. Last summer we had a five day trip in the San Juan National Forest not too far from where we are going this year and it was great.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:26 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Will be heading to Camp Timber Lake at Huntington, In.
If your into zip lines they have 6 and one crosses over a lake

Old 07-01-2017, 06:38 PM
Edkajo
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mrytle Beach. Been there a few times before but we've done all the cross country stuff when the kids were younger. They're at the age now were they're more interested in bikini chicks than they are in canyons, campfires and smores.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:32 PM
mapitts66
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
So far this year Monte Sano State Park in Huntsville Al. Joe Wheeler State Park Rogersville AL. Honeycomb TVA park Grant AL. Just got back from Piney Grove MS (REALLY nice park). Leaving this Tuesday for Fall Creek Falls State Park, Spencer TN. Tallest waterfall east of the Rockies @ 256'. In August headed to Lenoir City TN to see the solar eclipse.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:51 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Spent 10 days in Myrtle Beach at PirateLand, home for two weeks and now at Payne's Creek Campground in Hartwell, GA on the lake. Have a summer ending trip to Skidaway Island before school starts as well. Plus, our normal camping routine every third weekend.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:45 PM
mapitts66
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by golfmedik
Plus, our normal camping routine every third weekend.
Sometimes you just cant beat a 3 day camping trip to recharge. Some of those are just as good as the long trips.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:24 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
We got a late start this year due to everybody being sick in April. Spent 3 nights at Hersheypark campground, indifferent on that one. 3 nights at Castaways in Ocean City MD, will return. Leave for Narrows Too in Trenton, ME in just under 2 weeks. After that we have 3 nights booked at Watkins Glen KOA in August, and 3 nights booked at Masseys Landing in Delaware for Halloween. Taking September off as it will be the wife's first month back to work after a year off with the baby.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:14 PM
defekticon
Senior User
Lucked out and got 4 days in Wisconsin Dells KOA for the 4th of July. Then we head to Arrow Campground in Wall SD for 4 days, then on towards Yellowstone which we haven't booked yet (looking for recommendations!). I drove through Chicago to get here, Never again. the stretch of the Ohio turnpike is really cool because of the electric sites they offer at the rest areas. I wish more places did this. Downside is the ~200 dollars in tolls.... I was warned, but made a wrong turn before Pittsburgh and stayed on 76 instead of on 70.

I love Castaways, it's a 2 hour trip from home base for me. But I hate OC, MD during the summer. Absolutely overcrowded. I try to go early in the spring or late in the fall, and we usually end up staying at Delaware seashore state park, because it's far more reasonable. We spent Halloween at Castaways two years ago and the kids had a blast. I will return again this fall.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:15 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
We just spent 7 days in Yellow Stone having made reservations last summer. Left there this morning. The crowd is overwhelming in most areas and when were there all the campgrounds that took reservations posted signs noting they were full. Don't know about the ones that are first come first served. Expect unending tour buses and long lines everywhere.

We stayed in Grant Village and the Canyon campgrounds. Liked the Canyon better.

If you strike out, I would suggest Coulter Bay in the Grand Tetons as it is not that bad a drive into Yellowstone, actually less a drive than folks make staying in commercial campground on the perimeter of the park and is neat in its own right. You won't be able to get reservations, but if you are there by say 10:00 in the morning, you should not have a problem getting a campsite. On the upside, if you intend to buy food, the grocery store there is miles ahead of those in Yellowstone with a genuine deli, etc.

The whole Yellowstone campground thing is really a curiosity as they say all the spaces are full, but they never are. There were multiple open sites every night we were there. I think it is so cheap that folks book and then don't show figuring the loss of the small fee for not showing doesn't mean much.

We are in Cody now and heading to Glacier in a few days followed by who knows where.
Saw one grizzly along with many elk and more buffalo what we can count.

Steve

Old 07-03-2017, 07:25 AM
Gary O
5th Wheeling
Headed to Colorado Springs for a week, 1st time in over 40years to visit Ft Carson,than north to Chatfield State Park for a week, than to Little Bighorn in Montana for couple days than to Custer, South Dakota for a week

Quick Reply: Where are you camping this summer