Notices
5.0L Coyote 5.0l Ford OHC Coyote engine for 2011+

'13 engine Timing chain replacement?

Old 01-27-2018, 08:55 AM
dnewton3
Elder User
dnewton3 has a good reputation on FTE.dnewton3 has a good reputation on FTE.
Today's engines are FAR better made than in decades past. Bot the design and manufacturing are better.

The reason today's engines wear so well is due to five things:
1) good air filtration; keeping the silica out
2) good oils; the additive packages have been improved over the years to better deal with soot and insolubles
3) TBC; the oxidation barrier that builds up actually is a major contributor to reducing wear (Ford/Conoco oil study as told in SAE 2007-01-4133)
4) sealed system; with sealed crankcases (localized PCVs), there's very little free-moisture intrusion to induce corrosion
5) good combustion processes; engines produce far less soot than in years past, because of great quench of the cylinder heads and also excellent control of the fuel via computer controlled injection events

You can change oil as often as you want; that's your prerogative. But that does not change facts. Wear rates are fairly steady overall. Changing oil frequently does NOT alter wear rates in a positive manner. UOAs (used oil analysis) prove this time after time in all manner of examples.

The old mantra of frequent oil changes was due to the fact that oils did not have the robust additive packages that they do now, and engines back then did not run as clean as they do today (both in terms of reduced soot and also contamination control). While is was not a bad idea to OCI often way back in the day, to flush out contamination, that's not applicable today.

Changing oil frequently does not really hurt an engine. But it most certainly does not, in any manner, help it either. Data proves this beyond any reasonable doubt.

These ain't your daddy's lubes or engines.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:03 PM
nccatfan
New User
nccatfan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 92F350CC View Post
I've decided to follow a 10K OCI(which seems to be inline with my OLM). However I am running Mobil 1 full synthetic.
Same here with our '14. 80k miles and entirely trouble free. Been doing that since it's first oil change