Sponsored by: DP Tuner

02' 7.3 F-250: Panic alarm horn sounding; dome light on

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 04:05 PM
ffspiel1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02' 7.3 F-250: Panic alarm horn sounding; dome light on

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

I own the above described vehicle; I'm at about 196k and I'm the original owner. It's a quad cab, 2002 7.3L with power everything. I believe it's the XLT package (it's not in front of me... I'm at work. CONFIRMED... XLT package).

Currently, it's the workhorse and back-up for the family, not my primary driver - luckily. I've had failure if the automatic door lock on the rear pass. door, and a sticky lock on the rear driver's side lock - they've both been in this state for at least the last four years, no problems beyond the hassle of manual manipulation of the door lock from the inside - otherwise no electrical issues really to speak of.

Three weeks ago, we went to the snow. I rarely use the 4x4, but found that I had to use it that day to get out of some mud - it worked fine, no issues. In addition, I also used the cruise control... something I do rarely, but have not had any issue with it either.

In exiting the area some hours later at the end of our day, I noted two things... the "door ajar" dash light was illuminated and did not shut off through the drive home, and the dome light remained on until the battery saver shutdown shut it down... quite some time (where normally a key in the column turned past the insertion would shut it off).

When I drove home I used the cruise control, as mentioned, and it worked fine.

In exiting the vehicle while at home, as soon as the door was opened the horn started blaring panic alarm style - honk, honk, honk, honk... - and when the batteries are attached, there is nothing that stops the honking, except the battery saver timeout. BTW... no key in the ignition.

I don't use the FOBs... the batteries were dead anyhow (and I moved the FOBs out of range of the vehicle).

Attempted fixes:

- Lubing the lock/WD-40, then shutting/opening the doors (no luck/no change).

- Pulling door panels, removing locking mechanism, removing door ajar switches (I don't know what they're called), manually manipulating the piston AND checking each with a multimeter. (NOTE: One "seemed" not to work properly, so I purchased one from dealer and placed it back... still, no luck resolving the issues overall).

-Checked the wiring looms supplying all four doors - no broken wires noted.

- Replaced the two vehicle batteries.

I'm at a loss and I'm hitting up this forum before I move forward...

I've read that there are issues with the VSM for this year's model, but I'm hesitant to purchase the module without further feedback from a tech or anyone with experience in the failure of this. I've read some general posts about alarm systems (doesn't apply to me) and horn issues (but those were horn constantly blaring... not the intermittent horn blasts of a "panic alarm sounding."

I've heard that the GEM and clockspring could be an issue, but I have to look more closely at the associated problems (like recheck to see if the cruise works... door windows go up/down like some threads have mentioned...). I have also read that the door ajar sensor switches attached to the automatic locks could be culprit, as they may "work" when pulled out, but not work when they're installed in the vehicle.

Ultimately what I'm looking for here is suggestions to what the cause to the panic horn beeping, dome light and door ajar instrument indicator being on.

Any practical suggestions would be greatly welcome. I suspect that I have to take this thing in for at least a scan... but the local dealership is pretty pricy, and I was hoping to avoid these costs if possible. I'm capable enough to pull a steering wheel clockspring, but I'd love to get some insight before I move forward with any more time or money invested.

Help?

Thanks again for your time.

Rob

Old 01-30-2017, 04:32 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2002 model years are notorious for the GEM module being a little finicky and can cause a lot of the symptoms you describe.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:25 PM
garydmundy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alarm & dome light problems

I have a 2002 F350 and had similar problems. The VSM turned out to be the problem. I had the same dome light problem as you have, my headlights went on and off and my door ajar light stayed on all the time. Did the same things you have done before I broke down and bought a VSM from Ford. A very nice mechanic told me that I could same 3-400 dollars if I put the new VSM in myself, that way Ford would charge me only $90 to program my new VSM.

The VSM is located in a almost impossible place to get to. It is up under the dash roughly behind the radio. It is very high almost at the bottom of the windshield. The mechanic told me not to tell anyone but what they do is remove the connectors from the old VSM without removing the VSM. Then they plug the connectors into the new VSM and zip tie it to anything up under the dash. They haven't had any problems. That's what I did and it fixed everything except my door ajar light. I probably could have taken it back and have them recheck their programming but I never have (2 yrs ago). Oh, I just remembered why I didn't take it back. After the new VSM, in addition to the door ajar light, the automatic door locking when you start driving didn't work. I didn't like that anyway so it worked out for me.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:11 PM
ffspiel1
Freshman User
Thank you members for your replies.

In looking at this further today, I've found that my cruise control is out of commission.

In determining this, I tried to engage it the normal way by pressing two buttons on the steering wheel - the "on" button and "set/accel" button together. Instead of engaging the cruise control with confirmation of dash cruise indicator light, I got nothing.

SO.... I figured, "I haven't tried the cruise in a bit... could the button combo be different?" and pressed "on" and "cruise" together. What happened then? I got the horn to honk.

Well, this leads me to think an issue with the clockspring????

I have a horn, I don't have cruise control.

Q: Is there a cruise control relay of some sort for this model (7.3, cruise control, 4x4, quad cab)?

Q: What is the likelihood of the problem now being the clockspring (vs. the GEM or even the VSM??)

Thanks!

Rob

Old 02-01-2017, 05:21 PM
ffspiel1
Freshman User
Also... time-out switch/relay works, automatic door lock with placing vehicle into "drive" doesn't work.

Just an update..

Old 02-01-2017, 06:27 PM
erikkloss
Senior User
Everything you described are all functions of the VSM, except the cruise control. There is no GEM in 2002 because the VSM replaced it (the wiring, computers, and fuse panels were completely updated in 2002).

I can't say I have experience with your exact problem, but it kinda sounds like your clock spring is okay. I say this because when a clock spring goes bad, it typically would loose all connection to your steering wheel controls. Since you said that your horn honked when you pressed the buttons, than the button inputs are passing through the clock spring, and it is that the pcm is not processing the commands properly, or is locking out the cruise because of a fault detected???

There is no cruise control relay. Cruise control is a function of the pcm. The pcm uses a string of logic to engage cruise, so if anything disagrees with the logic, then pcm will not engage cruise. There are 2 brake switches (pressure switch and pedal switch) that have to be functioning. Certain ABS faults will cancel cruise, and even some engine or transmission faults could cancel the cruise. Who knows, but maybe even the door ajar is programmed to cut cruise off???

As far as the VSM, I replaced mine in my 2002. Like Garydmundy said, I left my old one attached to the firewall and tie wrapped the replacement under the dash.

The door pin switches are available from most auto parts stores. You might want to try replacing those first. I have never had any luck with just cleaning them or spraying wd-40. I have always had to replace them to work correctly. The VSM is programmed to look for a series of events to occur, like turning off ignition, then opening door, then closing door. If these series of events don't occur, it can confuse the computer logic and start causing strange system glitches. I have experienced this.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:39 PM
ffspiel1
Freshman User
As much as I appreciate the information, Erik... it was news I didn't want to hear... dang. Both items are costly, the VSM and Clock Spring. I for sure thought by me manipulating the cruise control buttons... by doing so eliciting a horn blast, I thought for sure the Clock Spring would be the culprit.

I took the steering wheel mostly off today - before I saw your reply - with the intent of doing some diagnostic to the Clock Spring, which apparently can be done. (It also seemed a slight easier than accessing the VSM, which I've kinda done already... just to locate it). I"ve checked the door switches and have replaced one.

I'll keep the forum posted on my findings. Thanks again for the detailed reply... much, much appreciated. Let's see where this leads...

Figuring out this mess is such a headache.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:00 PM
garydmundy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another thought on your cruse control. Don't ask me why, but the electrical power for at least part of the cruse control goes through your "3rd" brake light, the one on the back of your cab. If it is burned out, your cruse control won't work. It happened to me after I replaced the clock spring that was perfectly fine to start with. Check that before buying a clock spring.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:16 PM
ffspiel1
Freshman User
Thanks, Gary.

Problem is that the cruise is not the only problem. But I'll check it.

Clock spring removed; checked for continuity... no problems with it.

Going to VSM, I think...

Old 02-02-2017, 04:19 PM
ffspiel1
Freshman User
"Door ajar maybe cuts cruise off" Good possibility?

Old 02-02-2017, 06:10 PM
erikkloss
Senior User
Originally Posted by ffspiel1
"Door ajar maybe cuts cruise off" Good possibility?
I tried that for you today. I left my door ajar and tried the cruise. The cruise still worked.

You can try this. Find the VSM and unplug the grey connector. Use your multimeter to check that your door ajar pin switch circuits are good. Check pins 4,5,6,11 by opening and closing the corresponding door and making sure the circuit is either open or grounded depending on door position. Try opening and closing each door several times while watching the multimeter. IIRC, it will be grounded when door is open, but I might be wrong and then it would be the opposite. If 1 of these circuits is bad, it could cause all those issues you are having (except cruise).

For the cruise, if you can use a scanner to check your pcm DTCs, there might be a dtc set that would disable the cruise, ie: brake pressure switch malfunction.

Attached Images    
Old 02-02-2017, 06:16 PM
ffspiel1
Freshman User
Erik...

To check the doors, I'm guessing my black needs to be grounded to the vehicle? Then red to corresponding door inputs on the female plug. process to check is open/close, check for continuity changes?

Will check if that sounds good.

Also... I pulled fuse #19. Door ajar cluster light stayed on, panic horn 'honk, honk, honk..." was silenced.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:38 PM
ffspiel1
Freshman User
Erik -

I checked each door to the schematic, double checked. Each door switch is operating correctly, per the multimeter.

Looks like door switches are ruled out. This sounds like the VSM?

Old 02-02-2017, 06:42 PM
erikkloss
Senior User
Originally Posted by ffspiel1
Erik...

To check the doors, I'm guessing my black needs to be grounded to the vehicle? Then red to corresponding door inputs on the female plug. process to check is open/close, check for continuity changes?

Will check if that sounds good.

Also... I pulled fuse #19. Door ajar cluster light stayed on, panic horn 'honk, honk, honk..." was silenced.
Yes, you are correct. Black to vehicle ground and check for change from continuity to open on the door input pins when doors are opened and closed. You can also put your black lead on pin 14 since that is ground.

Last edited by erikkloss; 02-02-2017 at 06:44 PM. Reason: correction
Old 02-02-2017, 06:58 PM
ffspiel1
Freshman User
Just ordered a VSM. $240. Checked with dealership and their price was a bit higher.. not much. The programing is what's going to gouge me... quoted 187.

Quick Reply: 02' 7.3 F-250: Panic alarm horn sounding; dome light on