1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

I may need to replace ABS sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 06:06 PM
BlackNGoldRules
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may need to replace ABS sensor

I noticed that my ABS was engaging when I would slow down to a stop while turning left. I pulled the fuse for the ABS just to make sure that's what was causing the pulsating brake, and it was. Anyway, if it's an ABS sensor problem, would it be the front passenger side sensor if it's only happening when I turn left? Is there a way to test this. Would a scanner detect it? It hasn't been throwing a code or anything. Just the ABS engaging while braking and turning to the left when it shouldn't be. Thanks for any advice on this.

Last edited by BlackNGoldRules; 01-25-2017 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 01-26-2017, 09:32 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Use your ELM scan tool running Forscan software on the viewing device of your choice, to scan All of the vehicle computer/controllers for trouble code clues & post All code Numbers.
Doing so helped focus my ABS & intermittent power window problems a few of years ago. The ELM & FORScan allowed me to monitor both front wheel speed sensors, as well as the rear speed sensor, which it found was bad. More than paid for itself on that fix alone.

Here is a thread on the ELM. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-scantool.html

Old 01-26-2017, 03:49 PM
BlackNGoldRules
Senior User
Thanks for the tip. Will it show me something even if my ABS light isn't coming on? Thanks.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:58 PM
pawpaw
Yes the ELM running FORScan can monitor both front wheel & rear ABS speed sensors, if we call them up to be displayed on the dash board & we can monitor their PID outputs to the computer as we drive. It can also scan for & display any stored ABS system trouble codes.
Last time I used my ELM running FORScan, it could display up to 19 parameters at once on the FORScan display dashboard, Way more than we would likely need to use at once in trouble shooting about any vehicle system I can think of.
It's a really good & powerful bang for our trouble shooting bucks.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:15 PM
BlackNGoldRules
Senior User
Well, I don't have an ELM327, although I plan on ordering one since it would be a good thing to have so I can do my own diagnostics when I want to. I took my truck to a tire place and they scanned it. They came up with the code C1186 - ABS Power Relay Output Open Circuit. He said that could be a lot of things, but not the sensor itself. I told him how it only does it when I turn left while coming to a stop. He mentioned the possibility of a wiring harness but wasn't sure which one it could be. They don't do much with wiring there so that's all he could really tell me. Any ideas on what it could be or how I could find out the exact problem? Right now I'm just driving around with the ABS fuse pulled so I don't have to deal with it. Hate seeing the ABS and Brake lights on and the first time my wife has to ride with me, I know she'll see that and get paranoid thinking that my brakes will fail, even though it hasn't made any difference braking wise. Anyway, if you have any other advice I'd appreciate it.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:09 PM
pawpaw
Yes that's the definition I have for a Chassis C1186 trouble code.

Check the under hood power distribution box ABS power relay contacts/sockets for corrosion, bent pins, spread sockets. Maybe try a thump/wiggle test to see if you can cause the problem. If you can't find a problem with the relay contacts, or get the relay to act out with the thump/wiggle test, try swapping it out for a known like, good relay & see how it goes.
If no joy there back up to the relay fuse & do the same.

If still no joy, turn the wheels left the amount you noticed the problem showing up & begin a wiring harness, electrical connector, wiring run thump/wiggle test, to see if you can induce the problem & let us know what you find.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:24 AM
rangergolfer
Junior User
I had a similar problem last year with my y2k Ranger only difference was it would start to brake but stay in a straight line, turned out both sensors were bad and had them replaced and no more problem, I think if it's going left your left sensor could be bad, but I'm not sure.