Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 02:32 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Something to pull behind that SD

Ford drops the spec sheet for the 216-mph 2017 GT

Ford drops the spec sheet for the 216-mph 2017 GT

The GT owns a number of bragging rights within Dearborn, not least of which is the title of fastest production Ford ever. Its 216-mph (348-km/h) top speed puts it in the good company of the Lamborghini Centenario and LaFerrari Aperta, two 2016 debuts that top out at 217 mph (350 km/h).

We've long known that the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 mounted amidships would be the most powerful production EcoBoost ever, but what we didn't know was exactly how high above 600 hp it would rise. Now we know that the engine puts out 647 hp at 6,250 rpm to go along with 550 lb-ft at 5,900 rpm. The car weighs 3,054 lb (1,385 kg) dry.

Ford debuts the GT at NAIAS 2015
It may be fast, but the GT definitely isn't a straight-arrow land rocket, utilizing a precise mix of lightweight construction, active aerodynamics and active suspension to grip and rip the twists and straights of the track too. During development testing last year, Ford put it up against two very worthy competitors. The GT beat both the McLaren 675LT (2:10.8) and Ferrari 458 Speciale (2:12.9) with a 2:09.8 time at Calabogie Motorsports Park in Canada. Each car was meticulously prepared and raced by the same driver under identical conditions, says Ford.

"We achieved considerable weight savings with the carbon fiber architecture," explains Raj Nair, Ford executive VP for global product development and chief technical officer. "We then reinvested some of that savings into where it counts most – performance, specifically, the active dynamics. The result is an even faster car."

Fuel economy, for those wondering, is EPA-estimated at 11 mpg city, 18 mpg highway and 14 mpg combined – definitely more "supercar," less "Eco" (Boost).

Ford began deliveries of the US$450,000 2017 GT last month. Just 250 examples per year will roll out of the new, low-volume Multimatic assembly facility in Markham, Ontario.

Ford will build just 250 GTs per year
GT buyers were selected through a rigorous application process. After Ford began accepting online applications for the first two production years last April, it piled up more than 6,500 applications in a month, all aimed at a total of just 500 cars.

In August, it announced that it would extend production for two years, at a rate of 250 models per year. Year three is reserved for applicants already on the wait list and year four will open the process up to deferred applicants and those that missed the application window the first time around.

View gallery - 12 images

Old 01-25-2017, 05:39 PM
theboom
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
I love ford trucks, they are my favorite of all the full sized manufactures. I especially like the super duty. But when it comes to performance cars, gm is pretty superior in my opinion. The new ford gt is what? starting at like $400k, or did I read correctly that they bumped it up to $450k? Anyway I get that it has some value in the name but come on, that's not very great performance in its class, especially at that price. They said it beat the Mclaren 675lt by a slight margin, but whos replacement that is supposed to destroy it is being announced in 2 months. They also compared it to the Ferrari 458 Italia speciale, which is the previous gen Ferrari. Current one that came out recently is the 488 gtb.

I could cut it a bit of slack and focus on its looks and what it represents in heritage and ford getting back into racing but they made one mistake that really kills the gt: they put a v6 in it. I really don't have any clue why they went that route. Lets look at the domestic competitors engine, the lt4 out of the c7 z06. When comparing the GT's ecoboost to the lt4, the lt4 has a tiny bit more power, a CRAZY amount more torque, a WAY better power curve, so much better of a sound that it makes me want to laugh a little, better mpg, and from what I have been reading, fewer emissions. All that in an engine that I promises cost significantly less than the ecoboost and is not strung out anywhere near as much. The ONLY advantage I can think of that the ecoboost has is that the engine itself may be lighter and smaller because it is a smaller v6. But then again it has DOHC and twin turbos with all the crap that requires them to work so it may lose that advantage as well.

Oh ya and the c7 zr1 is coming out soon that should beat it in performance and at around $120k. After that we also have the mid engine corvette Zora that supposedly coming not to long after that and it makes me grin thinking about how bad its not only going to beat the ford gt, but the vast majority of supercars with the exception of a small handful of million, even multi million dollar cars.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:45 PM
YouDon'tKnowMe
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^Boom goes the dynamite...You hit every single nail on the head!

Old 01-25-2017, 05:47 PM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I LOVE the way the GT looks....but..uuuh...yeah. Porsche has a car with 900+....Current leader in the Lighting Lap in Car and Driver...no car has beat it's time. Ferrari has the LaFerrari at 900+....awesome machine. Ford comes along and puts ONLY 647 in this car??? Are you kidding us Ford? I'm not a race car driver....just a disappointed fan....

Old 01-25-2017, 07:28 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by theboom
I love ford trucks, they are my favorite of all the full sized manufactures. I especially like the super duty. But when it comes to performance cars, gm is pretty superior in my opinion. The new ford gt is what? starting at like $400k, or did I read correctly that they bumped it up to $450k? Anyway I get that it has some value in the name but come on, that's not very great performance in its class, especially at that price. They said it beat the Mclaren 675lt by a slight margin, but whos replacement that is supposed to destroy it is being announced in 2 months. They also compared it to the Ferrari 458 Italia speciale, which is the previous gen Ferrari. Current one that came out recently is the 488 gtb.

I could cut it a bit of slack and focus on its looks and what it represents in heritage and ford getting back into racing but they made one mistake that really kills the gt: they put a v6 in it. I really don't have any clue why they went that route. Lets look at the domestic competitors engine, the lt4 out of the c7 z06. When comparing the GT's ecoboost to the lt4, the lt4 has a tiny bit more power, a CRAZY amount more torque, a WAY better power curve, so much better of a sound that it makes me want to laugh a little, better mpg, and from what I have been reading, fewer emissions. All that in an engine that I promises cost significantly less than the ecoboost and is not strung out anywhere near as much. The ONLY advantage I can think of that the ecoboost has is that the engine itself may be lighter and smaller because it is a smaller v6. But then again it has DOHC and twin turbos with all the crap that requires them to work so it may lose that advantage as well.

Oh ya and the c7 zr1 is coming out soon that should beat it in performance and at around $120k. After that we also have the mid engine corvette Zora that supposedly coming not to long after that and it makes me grin thinking about how bad its not only going to beat the ford gt, but the vast majority of supercars with the exception of a small handful of million, even multi million dollar cars.
NAILED IT!

As for the Lt4 Z06, don't know if you have actually seen the power curve HP/T, but it is AMAZING. Just past idle 400 lbs is laid on the table for ya, from there its a gentle slope to 650 lb...from a PUSH ROD V8. Talking to some of the guys who live and breathe the numbers and I am hearing that with nothing but external work and tuning improvements they engine can deliver 750/750, the BowTie boys in an all out chase can break the 1000 hp barrier on pump gas, and take torque into the 800's and still drive it on the street. But its an internal engine play and relies heavy on cubic $$$.

All that said I love the design its a show stopper, now wrap that around a Lt4 that has the magic Zora dust sprinkled on it and give it a shot of nitrous for the passing lane with your speakers churning out Radar Love and its a good day...

And I remember my '56 Corvette, 240 HP, 270 Torque, 2 WCFB carbs, all the hp and torque one could get in that day...

Old 01-26-2017, 10:18 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Limited-run Super Snake celebrates Shelby's half-century

Limited-run Super Snake celebrates Shelby's half-century

Based on the current Mustang GT, the Super Snake is designed to crank up the power and drama without a sky-high sticker price. Working alongside Ford Performance, Shelby has tweaked the car from the ground up, starting with a revised suspension setup made up of new dampers, sway bars, springs and bushings. Combined with lighter forged alloy wheels, they should make for a more planted Mustang – no bad thing, given the slightly floaty ride in the regular car.

Of course, this wouldn't be a special edition Shelby if there wasn't plenty of power under the hood. The standard GT isn't exactly light on grunt, but a supercharger kit puts a huge 670 hp (500 kW) under the driver's right foot, compared to the stock 435 hp (324 kW). If that isn't enough, a range of supercharger options opens the door for more than 750 hp (559 kW).

With the full 750 hp package fitted, Ford says the Super Snake will sprint to 60 mph (98 km/h) in 3.5 seconds, before smashing through the quarter mile in just 10.9 seconds. It should also pull 1.2G on a skidpan, which is impressive given its size.

Under the hood of the new Shelby Super Snake
To make sure everyone knows you're not driving a garden-variety Mustang, the Snake has been treated to a makeover, with a new hood, grille, front bumper, rear diffuser and rear spoiler. There are also new head and tail lights, along with unique badging and stripes. It isn't subtle, but that isn't really the point here. It's a similar story inside, with fresh trim on the seats, floor and dashboard setting it apart from the regular car.

"We compared the groundbreaking 1967 and 2007 model Super Snakes to other cars of their era when setting the performance parameters for our anniversary model," says Gary Patterson, Shelby American President. "The new Super Snake matches those cars' competitive advantages."

All up, the Super Snake package will set you back US$36,795 on top of the base GT, making a complete car worth at least $69,995. Sure, that isn't cheap for a muscle car, but all your modifications are backed by a three-year factory warranty, and just 500 examples will be built.

Source: Ford Performance

View gallery - 6 images

Old 01-26-2017, 10:20 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Moved to General Automotive forum.