2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Powerstroke vs Duramax dependability

Old 01-25-2017, 09:46 AM
Chris Crews
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Powerstroke vs Duramax dependability

im sure people have had this thread before but I am curious as to the comparisons between the two.

Not looking for the video of them racing however I saw on a GM thread people claiming that the powerstroke isn't going to hold up as well as the duramax because it has the Allison transmission.

im sold on the f250 but would like to hear from people with experience on the duramax and what you think of the truck.

its tempting to buy a chevy that's like 4K cheaper but dont wanna make a bad choice.

anyways thanks for the info guys

Old 01-25-2017, 09:48 AM
oklarado
Posting Guru
Its a toss up. I do think Chevy is much better about warranty work. I grenade a hpfp, and injectors on my 2011 duramax. They replaced it no questions asked, and I know it was was contaminated. Ford would never have done that.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:49 AM
Bear 1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You get what you pay for.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:52 AM
oklarado
Posting Guru
If chevy had a e-locker then that's what I would be buying. But they have those dumb auto lockers that are worthless.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:52 AM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm new to the diesel world, but from what several of my friends have told me (who are motor heads, some own duramax's and some powerstrokes) the 6R140 transmission on the Fords is the best transmission on the market for these pickups. And judging by the lack of work the Ford owners have had on their 2011-2016 super duty's, I tend to believe them.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:57 AM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The comparison of the torques shift to Allison 1000 transmission is no contest. The torque shift is a better and more reliable transmission. The Allison 3000 a different story. There are several ex GMC owners and dodge owners on this page driving new Fords. I am sure they will chime in with their experience and why they changed over. I am on my 3rd new Ford SD. I do know of all the issues with both motors, transmissions, overall truck. GMC/Chev doesn't have a pristine rescued in any of these categories, they have had numerous issues. My neighbor has two diesel durmax diesels, newer one is running good, older one just got replaced with a gasser. Head bolts corroded away, and head gasket leaking. I am driving a new 2017, so that's my vote.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:58 AM
Chris Crews
Elder User
Originally Posted by AK_SuperDuty
I'm new to the diesel world, but from what several of my friends have told me (who are motor heads, some own duramax's and some powerstrokes) the 6R140 transmission on the Fords is the best transmission on the market for these pickups. And judging by the lack of work the Ford owners have had on their 2011-2016 super duty's, I tend to believe them.
really? That's interesting. So even the chevy guys admit this is a better longer lasting engine...

What trabsmission does ford use if if GM has Allison

Old 01-25-2017, 10:02 AM
Chris Crews
Elder User
Also this is a quote I saw on a GM forum. Want to know if this is true because I am a diesel noob.

" Just remember that with Ford, Dodge, or GM- The emissions control devices on them are such that you will need to drive the truck during a DPF regen cycle and keep it at highway speeds for up to 30 minutes or 30 miles so that the DPF can do a good clean burn cycle. If you do a lot of stop and go and don't drive long distances, that DPF is going to get clogged up over time and that will cause issues down the road. That is what I am dealing with with my 2012. The previous owner (GE Oil/Gas) had this truck out in the oil fields. it saw a lot of idle and low speed driving times, didn't get to complete the regens on the DPF properly by long highway drives. The DPF will regen once every tank of fuel. It uses diesel fuel to regen, so your fuel economy will flat out suck when it is doing a regen and you will watch the fuel tank level indictor drop as the truck injects diesel fuel into the filter to burn off all the stuff. So if little things like that annoy you, be warned. "

Old 01-25-2017, 10:10 AM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by AK_SuperDuty
This is true where I live. My friend has a diesel performance and tranny shop. Allison's have more rebuilds and problems compared to the TorqShift.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:36 AM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Originally Posted by Chris Crews
really? That's interesting. So even the chevy guys admit this is a better longer lasting engine...

Absolutely. GM uses Allison, Ram uses the Aisin for their full rated engines, and Ford uses their own transmission. One of my buddies who recently bought a 2016 super duty moved from a duramax. He is a GM certified technician and spent 5 years working at a transmission shop. 10 years ago, the Ford transmissions were weak. But they hit it out of the park with the 6R140. He commented that when he worked for a warranty shop 15 years ago when GM first went with the Allison, the Allisons had huge problems and the biggest issue he had is that Allison wouldn't let them actually open the transmissions in the shop. They made them ship the whole tranny in for Allison to inspect. Ford has always had their qualified guys open transmissions for inspection so they could learn and improve their product. All of my diesel buddies agree that the 6R140 transmission in the Fords is the strongest piece of the drive train. Another buddy of mine who's had a duramax since 2011 is in the process of buying a 2017 Super Duty.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:41 AM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Also this is a quote I saw on a GM forum. Want to know if this is true because I am a diesel noob.

" Just remember that with Ford, Dodge, or GM- The emissions control devices on them are such that you will need to drive the truck during a DPF regen cycle and keep it at highway speeds for up to 30 minutes or 30 miles so that the DPF can do a good clean burn cycle. If you do a lot of stop and go and don't drive long distances, that DPF is going to get clogged up over time and that will cause issues down the road. That is what I am dealing with with my 2012. The previous owner (GE Oil/Gas) had this truck out in the oil fields. it saw a lot of idle and low speed driving times, didn't get to complete the regens on the DPF properly by long highway drives. The DPF will regen once every tank of fuel. It uses diesel fuel to regen, so your fuel economy will flat out suck when it is doing a regen and you will watch the fuel tank level indictor drop as the truck injects diesel fuel into the filter to burn off all the stuff. So if little things like that annoy you, be warned. "
Regens really suck. It's something I've accepted because I love the diesel, but no doubt they suck. The last long drive I took I was averaging around 20 mpg in a snow storm and then the regen started. My instantaneous mpg dropped to around 11-12 and brought my mileage down for the 200 miles trip from 19.9 to 17.8. I don't care too much about fuel economy and think the price we pay for petrol products is incredibly cheap. The fact that I can pay $2.80 for a gallon of liquid that will move my 8500 pound truck, fiancée, 3 kids, and 12000 pound boat 15 miles is absolutely mind boggling to me. It almost feels like the fuel is free.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:51 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts

I'm kind of a gear head, enjoy working on my own stuff, rebuild an engine, etc. I haven't had to work on any of my Ford Super Duty trucks, which is great. However, when I get a new truck, I like to crawl under it. I can easily spend an hour or two just sliding around on a creeper looking at how Ford did things.

I'm biased, but I feel the TorqShift 6 is absolutely the best HD transmission you can buy. It is massive and well made.

The 6.7L has some interesting technology in it compared to the Dmax. The Ford uses a CGI block with aluminum heads. The GM uses an iron block and aluminum heads. Iron is heavier and less strong, pound for pound.

The "hot-vee" turbo location on the Ford with reverse flow is actually a GM idea they never executed. Ford did. Having the turbo so close to the exhaust (inboard exhaust manifolds) really shortens the plumbing distance from exhaust to turbos. That improves response and lessens heat loss.

Another interesting thing on the Ford: both the Ford and GM engines are 32V, cam-in-block. GM uses 16 pushrods and rocker-arm "bridges" to operate the valves together. Bridges can be a weak point on valves. Ford uses 32 individual pushrods and 32 rocker arms. Ford also uses an incredibly robust pushrod "holder" with a giant roller wheel and two hydraulic lifters...so only one cam lobe is still needed.

Ford uses 13 quarts of engine oil; GM uses 10. I like having more oil.

Ford uses an air-to-liquid intercooler instead of air-to-air like the Dmax. Air-to-air can deliver a little more horsepower in cool temps, but will lose horsepower and torque in extreme heat.

Nevertheless, the US Gov chose to power the new Humvee replacement (made by Oshkosh) with a Duramax 6.6L. Not sure what their testing encompassed, or if Oshkosh ever considered the 6.7L...but the 6.6 is a pretty proven commodity.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:13 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Both great platforms. I think the Ford has a more reliable emissions setup. Hard to argue against the ole Duramax.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:31 AM
DeputyDiesel
Tuned
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Not engine related but chevy has IFS up front oppose to a straight axle. Lots of pictures of broken chevy front ends online.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:46 PM
oklarado
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DeputyDiesel
Not engine related but chevy has IFS up front oppose to a straight axle. Lots of pictures of broken chevy front ends online.
Most all of the issues have been owner error. Massive tires and a liberal application of the skinny pedal, tractor pulls, stuff like that. I don't think the average guy needs to worry about his IFS blowing out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Powerstroke vs Duramax dependability