Tiny home movement question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 05:04 AM
mrollings53
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I see you guys bitching about a lot of non issues. My time is worth too much to waste on building a tiny home. It costs too much for what you get. They are built by nobodies that don't bother with research, and just find the cheapest trailer to slap a shed on. Somehow all of the household appliance repair people have said **** the world and walked off of a cliff.

You forget that RV's and tiny homes are built for different things. RV's are meant to be easily moved. Their light and aerodynamic. Tiny homes are not meant to be moved. You build it, find a spot to put it, and live in it for 30 years. RV's are not meant to be lived in. Because they need to be light the materials they are made from are different, and with constant use are more likely to break or be damaged. Tiny homes are built from the same materials that any other house is built from. No one expects to have to replace their entire home after 10 years because the roof leaks, the pipes froze, or the siding has yellowed.

They aren't just made by random people that have no experience or knowledge about what they are doing. At first they were, but that was because it was brand new. The trend is only about a decade old, but in that time we've got dozens of manufactures building the houses, special built trailers, workshops, tutorials, and books on the subject. Most commercial manufacturers are RVIA certified, so tiny houses are built to the same standards as any other RV.

I've spent two years planning what I want to do with one. I've researched size restrictions based on DOT and state regulations. Trailer styles that best fit my goal. The appliances, and amenities that I want. When I get enough money to start this I'm going to take all of these researched topics to an architect and get a set of blueprints made. I want details about where each stud goes, where to bolt this, what kind of hurricane strap is needed here. The trailer will probably be custom built. Because I've gone to the trouble of having an architect design it for me I should know exactly where the axles should be, and how much weight they need to support.

If I want to go camping, or travel the states for a year; sure I'll buy an RV. I'm a single guy. I don't need a large house. I don't want to live in an apartment. I'm already living in about 50 sq ft, so bumping up to 200 will seem cavernous. Plus 11 foot ceilings; does your RV have that?

Old 04-05-2017, 06:49 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 819 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by mrollings53
Plus 11 foot ceilings; does your RV have that?
No, but I'm only 6' tall, so I don't know what I would need all of that extra height for, and you still have to heat and cool that air way up there.
My RV only has a 7' ceiling but it does have a 13'+ wide living room, dining room and kitchen area that can seat 10 adults.

Name:  e7fc6d6ca5a2aadae0919d896e1632bc_zps912a5103.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  93.1 KB