2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Regret your 3/4

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 07:13 PM
Chris Crews
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Regret your 3/4

To those of you who have went from gasser to diesel. Do you regret it after the " new " feeing wore off?

How much more did the pump and oil changes hit your wallet?

Would you go back to a gasser or are you I love with the power and sound of the diesel?

I know some people who buy a diesel cause they just love the damn things - I love me but never owned one that's why I'm
In the boat and asking lots of questions to get answers before I spend a boat load of cash. I wanna know and hear feed back from actual owners who made the switch I'm thinking about.

Oh and if you are wondering am I going to tow? Maybe but do not own any heavy equipment at the moment so I would be buying to have the engine and power if I want it and as far as ride quality I'll lift it with BDS lift so it won't be as rough.

Thanks a lot for the input look forward to you guys info!

Old 01-20-2017, 07:23 PM
gbkeith
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You realize you can buy a 3/4 ton gasoline, right?

Old 01-20-2017, 07:26 PM
Oz97tj
Junior User
My first diesel was a Ram 2500 but I had a very similar Ram 2500 in gas prior to it. Personally the diesel drove so much nicer that even if I wasn't hauling I'd still opt for it. I've been through a few now and still feel this way. I'm still driving the Cummins but my new Powerstroke is on order. I can't comment if a Ford gasser would give the same effect but with the Rams it sure did. It made the vehicle feel lighter and more nimble just because the truck moved around so much more effortlessly.

As for maintenance, the Ram had 15k oil changes so twice as long as the Ford or the Ram gas but at 15 quarts and a more expensive filter the cost was about the same as the gas however there is also $100 bucks in fuel filters too. With a ford diesel, oil changes give or take to twice as often (and twice the cost) but fuel filters are about the same. Either way more expensive than gas. Diesel fuel is usually a bit more costly but you'll get better economy out of a diesel. 3/4ton gasser is lucky is be getting 11 or 12 mpg unloaded. Diesel usually will get at least 15 or 16 so fuel costs are a wash. DEF is cheap. At around 20k miles a year, I probably spend less than 50 or 60 bucks.

If long term ownership is planned, there could be other things like the DPF and such that may end up costing big money though

Old 01-20-2017, 07:26 PM
Chris Crews
Elder User
Yeah I do - but I prefer going diesel

Old 01-20-2017, 07:31 PM
Chris Crews
Elder User
Originally Posted by Oz97tj
My first diesel was a Ram 2500 but I had a very similar Ram 2500 in gas prior to it. Personally the diesel drove so much nicer that even if I wasn't hauling I'd still opt for it. I've been through a few now and still feel this way. I'm still driving the Cummins but my new Powerstroke is on order. I can't comment if a Ford gasser would give the same effect but with the Rams it sure did. It made the vehicle feel lighter and more nimble just because the truck moved around so much more effortlessly.

As for maintenance, the Ram had 15k oil changes so twice as long as the Ford or the Ram gas but at 15 quarts and a more expensive filter the cost was about the same as the gas however there is also $100 bucks in fuel filters too. With a ford diesel, oil changes give or take to twice as often (and twice the cost) but fuel filters are about the same. Either way more expensive than gas. Diesel fuel is usually a bit more costly but you'll get better economy out of a diesel. 3/4ton gasser is lucky is be getting 11 or 12 mpg unloaded. Diesel usually will get at least 15 or 16 so fuel costs are a wash. DEF is cheap. At around 20k miles a year, I probably spend less than 50 or 60 bucks.

If long term ownership is planned, there could be other things like the DPF and such that may end up costing big money though
excellent input. What made you switch for a powerstroke and not a dodge anymore?

so the fords can't go 15k for an oil change ?

ive heard people say ride quality is worse in the diesels but I mean with a upgrade lift and shocks I don't see how.

Thanks for for your input look forward to more!

Old 01-20-2017, 07:32 PM
Super-Truck
Senior User
I have had a lot of diesels and not once have i regretted it. I could drive my truck multiple times a day and still smile when i get in it! Its one of those things, if you have to ask you cant afford it... I think if youre considering a super duty, you arent doing too bad in the financial department. If youre capable of spending the money on a super duty i dont think a $100 oil change should be worrying you. It costs almost that much to fill up my truck every couple of weeks. Just be realistic, theres much more cost effective options if youre not looking to tow. The super duty is designed to work and is definitely not going to impress you in the mpg department. Having said that. Just get the diesel youll be much happier and the new will NEVER wear off.

Im coming out of a 2011 6.7 Cummins that had absolutely ZERO problems. Ive never wanted a ford until now due to the fact that their body was 18 years old and they've never had a diesel motor worth purchasing until now (thats just my opinion). I am an absolute die hard cummins guy, but the 6.7 PSD is a beast and that cant be denied. Plus the super duty does have a nicer interior and more creature comforts.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:12 PM
Chris Crews
Elder User
Originally Posted by Super-Truck
I have had a lot of diesels and not once have i regretted it. I could drive my truck multiple times a day and still smile when i get in it! Its one of those things, if you have to ask you cant afford it... I think if youre considering a super duty, you arent doing too bad in the financial department. If youre capable of spending the money on a super duty i dont think a $100 oil change should be worrying you. It costs almost that much to fill up my truck every couple of weeks. Just be realistic, theres much more cost effective options if youre not looking to tow. The super duty is designed to work and is definitely not going to impress you in the mpg department. Having said that. Just get the diesel youll be much happier and the new will NEVER wear off.

Im coming out of a 2011 6.7 Cummins that had absolutely ZERO problems. Ive never wanted a ford until now due to the fact that their body was 18 years old and they've never had a diesel motor worth purchasing until now (thats just my opinion). I am an absolute die hard cummins guy, but the 6.7 PSD is a beast and that cant be denied. Plus the super duty does have a nicer interior and more creature comforts.
i can afford one but it'll take me a little while to pay it all off - however with the price of these trucks how much of a dp would you put down? Cause it shows without a double digit down payment I'm looking at a 900 payment which I could do but would prefer to get closer to mine which is currently 609 and I'd like to be around 750.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:11 PM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
I don't think anyone can answer your $$ questions. But, with models from XL to Platinum...surely you can pick something that fits your financial situation.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:16 PM
Oz97tj
Junior User
I'm real happy with my current Ram actually. Planned on keeping a while and when I bought it (it's a 2015) I liked them much better than Ford or Chevy. Last fall I bought a new RV. A big *** toy hauler with heavy pin weight. Long story short, it out he's the truck around and I don't like it so started looking into dually. As we all know, the new fords ard nice. I get ford employee family pricing and for the month of November and December family could actually get a plan pricing. So, I had my uncle pull the number, which is good for a year in December and I placed my order for a F350 DRW in January.

As for oil changes, it's my understanding ford is around 7500 oil changes give or take depending on hours and use. Ram was 15000ish depending on hours and use.

Again, comparing Ram gas vs diesel basically identically equipped the diesel I felt rode better.

As for your lift, I've lifted lots of trucks and jeeps. A bunch can go into ride quality. Definitely get what you pay for but unless done carefully a lift could easily create a worse ride. Tire choice makes a difference too, lifted or not.

Originally Posted by Chris Crews
excellent input. What made you switch for a powerstroke and not a dodge anymore?

so the fords can't go 15k for an oil change ?

ive heard people say ride quality is worse in the diesels but I mean with a upgrade lift and shocks I don't see how.

Thanks for for your input look forward to more!

Old 01-20-2017, 11:34 PM
WolfFox
Senior User
This is my first diesel. I've owned a Ranger, F150 Explorer Eddie Bauer, now the F359 DRW. I bought this to pull a 16K 5th wheel. Would I have spent this much money to just have a diesel without having anything to pull with it?...Probably not. Do I love this truck? Absolutely! It drives better than anything I've had. I'd wait and save up my money, for when I needed something to pull with. If I had money to burn...I'd buy one just because I could.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:29 AM
191124x7
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Crews
To those of you who have went from gasser to diesel. Do you regret it after the " new " feeing wore off?
To own a diesel truck it to join a brotherhood. It's a feeling. It's a lifestyle. It's a way of life. There's just something awesome about it.

I don't regret my 6.7L for a second. What I do regret is not buying an F450, but that's another story. I do kind of regret that it's not louder... that the turbo isn't louder also. I do kind of regret (kind of) all the emission stuff -- it has its plusses and minuses. But every time I start it... every time I accelerate, and every time I tow or haul... it makes me really happy.

I'm not knocking gassers... but for me... there's nothing as awesome as a diesel truck.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:29 AM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by gbkeith
You realize you can buy a 3/4 ton gasoline, right?

Yeah....a little confused also....because title doesn't match the questions...LOL

Old 01-21-2017, 01:53 AM
OkieSweetness
Junior User
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Well, I started off in a V10 Excursion. Pretty solid and awesome vehicle, then made the jump to the dreaded 6.0L Diesel. Life changing!! Power, sound, and great ride! Will never go back. My 2017 KR Diesel is sitting at the dealer waiting for my return to the states. In my case, went Diesel and never looking back.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:31 AM
workingdan
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have owned a 7.3 super duty and a V10 super duty. The 7.3 was a nice truck, i never had anything heavy to tow with it. I have a short commute to work (2 miles) so i ruined the motor because it never warmed up. 15 years later i bought a 14 F450 6.7L to tow my 43' camper. It was great lots of power (deleted and tuned) but the maintenance cost was crazy. I have ordered a F350 SRW gasser and cant wait to get it. I know towing will be slower and i will be avoiding mountains, but think it will do just fine. Waiting to have a nice daily driver again.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:31 AM
MSDeltasleeper
Cross-Country
I'm coming out of a Raptor (6.2L) Tuned and what-not. It was a beast. Fast. And way more comfortable than my SD. This is my first diesel and I'm still learning. But this truck will blow the doors off that Raptor especially after a rolling start. The Raptor pulled my boat great through hills on the way to the coast. But this SD pulles the boat like its a toy! 22' bay boat with a TALL console and windshield.

I smile every time I get in and drive it.

No regrets.

Quick Reply: Regret your 3/4