Sponsored by:

Repair panels

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 07:58 AM
Tpndrcn
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Repair panels

I looked in the tech folders and searched the forum with no luck prior to this post. Anyone find where they make rust repair panels for our EX's? I am referring to the section in the lower corner of the rear doors and lower section of the front of the quarter behind the fender flares. I have found places that manufacturer the rockers but not these sections. I have attached pics to show you the areas I am referring to.

Attached Images   
Old 01-19-2017, 12:34 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Tpndrcn
I looked in the tech folders and searched the forum with no luck prior to this post.
Appreciate that! But yeah, not a lot of rust repair DIY threads here. They can be found in the section for the older trucks (50's & 60's) but not so much here, so far.

Stewart

Old 01-19-2017, 07:37 PM
Tpndrcn
Junior User
Stewart that was kinda the expected response but I was crossing my fingers hoping for the best.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:48 PM
Red97350
Laughing Gas
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
They might be similar enough to the pickups, but would still involve some work. I think the issue is that the excursion is such a small market that aftermarket manufacturers probably won't manufacture body panels. You could try a junkyard and see if they will let you cut the panels you need out.

Red

Old 01-19-2017, 08:26 PM
Tpndrcn
Junior User
Red97350 i just need to find a yard with one in it, that's not rusty on top of it. Here in the Midwest it could get tricky.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:10 AM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 391 Likes on 240 Posts
I've got a friend in VA who would just cut out the rust and piece in new metal. Not that he can help you where you're at, but if you ask around a lot of body people do side work out of their homes.

That doesn't really need whole panels. Just some basic shapes out of sheet metal, welded up, ground down, filled, and painted.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:30 AM
sessland
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
When I bought my EX it came with the rear rust like your first picture.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to track down sheet metal for it and wasn't able to find a source for any EX specific parts even though there are a couple places claiming to have them.

Like Red said the pickup rear cab can be made to work, but I'm not sure how much fabrication is involved.

I've been meaning to head out to a scrap yard that has an EX involved in a roll over to check the condition of those exact parts.

If they're decent I'm cutting them out and saving them

Old 01-20-2017, 11:44 AM
Tpndrcn
Junior User
Sessland thats exactly what I would like to do as well. Find a wrecked one and cut the panels off of it. However, I am going to stop by a buddy's shop tonight , he is an awesome fabricator . I don't know if you have watched American Pickers at all but his name is Ben and his shop is Kustom Metal and he has done a lot of work for Mike and Frank on the show. He can make pretty much anything out of metal , it just depends on cost and the time to do it.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:07 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello. I did a similar rust repair thread a while back. you can find it here. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-rust-ugh.html
The rocker panel was used up until they redesigned the Superduties just now. they don't make the X specific one anymore, but you can buy the front one and cut it down to fit on the rear of the X. Ya, the rocker is an issue. mine was OK, but when the time comes it will be junk yard hunting for one.

Good luck!

Old 01-22-2017, 10:48 AM
Tpndrcn
Junior User
1 Excursion camper thanks for the thread link. It's pretty much what I need to do and then some. I am struggling with the decision to fix it, I have had two different guys look at it and they say about $2000 to start. That's to fix all of it on both sides and the bottoms of the doors. I definitely understand that it's labor intensive and materials are expensive but I need to decide if I want to make the investment because after doing rust repair my EX needs springs and shocks as well so I could be looking at investing in the area if $4000 into it.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:07 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My step-dad just had similar rust repaired on his late model Chevy extended cab and he paid something in the. $2k to 3k range to have both rockers cab corners replaced and painted with "lifetime" warranty. He ordered replacement panels and the shop said they weren't good enough for them to use and he had to return them minis a stocking fee and return shipping which ended up being a couple hundred altogether.

Call lkq, their inventory is computerized, they can find one nearby or ship it to the closest location. May just want to let the body shop that does the work procure them so they get enough to repair and are comfortable with what they get. Good luck.