1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

E-fuel: Beans, irate, bar none, someone else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 07:39 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
E-fuel: Beans, irate, bar none, someone else?

So after deciding not to get the beater F250 I was looking at (because honestly, I can'y afford to spend 2500 now and have potential more issues when my poor bronco needs some love), I made up my mind that I am going to order E-fuel as soon as possible.

Before I make the jump on the purchase, I'd like to know what brand you guys think would be a good one to go with? Right now, I'm considering beans or bar-none. I read Bar-none doesn't need the turbo removed while other setups do, but then read things about some people not liking their fittings.

Basically any experience with these kits would be nice! I'm trying to stay at or under 1k for these kits, I know some go for about 1500 and I don't think I can spend that amount of coin now.

I know they can be built for less, but I don't think I want to go through the hassle of trying to piece together my own setup now when I don't know how the whole setup is supposed to go together. I'd rather have the kit ready to install instead of trying and piece things around for several weeks or more! I know that if I tried building my own, several things would come up and my Bronco would be down for probably a month or more. I'm sure once I see an electric fuel kit, I'll feel more comfortable in making my own for my next powerstroke!

Old 01-14-2017, 07:49 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Good luck, lots to pick from. I got the Irate kit about four years ago but its used with the T4 platform with a s366 turbo.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:31 PM
nateairman
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
After building mine I would recommend that route. I learned a lot and it didn't really take that long. If you use the stick fuel to the heads get a 3/4" orb to 1/2" pipe thread coupling and reduce it to 3/8" barb. That is the hardest part. I just cleaned my bench. Otherwise I would send a photo.

I think the stock pump could have the hose connection removed and welded to the orb fitting. But that is not exactly screwing some junk together.

Wiring is super simple. Use your fuel bowl heater wire to set a fused (20amp) relay that sends power to the pump through an inertia switch. I used a stock SD pump and Dorman fittings for the pump.

Wix filter bases and filters mounted to an angle bolted to the cross member, from the 95 efuel thread.

I wish I had done it years ago but I didn't.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:13 AM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Really? you put a psd in a bronco. dude you can build your own with no problem. It is actually pretty simple and there are tons of people who have documented their process so you can learn from their mistakes. Just start reading and starting buying parts.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:17 AM
Shawn MacAnanny
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to build my own kit but after pricing everything it was only going to save me $200 or so. I got the bar none kit for $849 when it went on sale, and it was excellent. It's when about 9,000 miles with no issue or leaks.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:34 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I've got the strictly diesel kit. I love it. You have to pull the turbo but no more potentially problematic banjo bolt

I agree, compared to putting a powerstroke in a Bronco, diy e fuel is peanuts

Old 01-15-2017, 06:34 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell
I've got the strictly diesel kit. I love it. You have to pull the turbo but no more potentially problematic banjo bolt

I agree, compared to putting a powerstroke in a Bronco, diy e fuel is peanuts
I think the strictly kit is very good. I basically copied a lot of their design. The steel fittings and pishlock hose is darn affordable. If I were to buy a kit myself it would be strictly kit. Their customer service is stellar as well.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:43 PM
B-Rad88
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah I'm surprised he is nervous with this project when he did the psd swap into the bronco. Granted, it is a lot easier than you might think it is, but talking to him today about it, it seems he wants to just get something right now, and then put it in and be done with it. He was daily driving it until this issue. He was in the process of prepping his camaro for an engine swap but now thats on hold because he is driving it now. So I am positive he could easily make his own kit, I'm sure even I can and I am nowhere near as experienced as he is here, but I think he's looking for quick. But hey, maybe I will benefit from it because we can build one for me when I get ready to do e fuel on my f250.haha

Old 01-16-2017, 07:36 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If I had a $1,000 budget I would absolutely do the efuel. I've collected a few pieces already so I think I could do it for $500.

But if I was on a tight budget, short of needing to replace the filter canister itself, I'd replace whatever needs attention, even the mechanical fuel pump if it needed. I'd add an in-cab fuel pressure gauge and watch the pressure and fret about Efuel if/when the injectors start taxing the stock fuel system.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:44 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Originally Posted by LeoJr
If I had a $1,000 budget I would absolutely do the efuel. I've collected a few pieces already so I think I could do it for $500.

But if I was on a tight budget, short of needing to replace the filter canister itself, I'd replace whatever needs attention, even the mechanical fuel pump if it needed. I'd add an in-cab fuel pressure gauge and watch the pressure and fret about Efuel if/when the injectors start taxing the stock fuel system.
If he had a gauge he would know he needed it long ago lol

Old 01-17-2017, 06:11 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Yeah I know I would be able to build my own somewhat easily, but I think the extra components I may need (like fittings etc.) aren't available nearby to me so I'd have to drive on the opposite side of Phoenix probably. I also haven't had much free time recently so I could see the extra running around adding up to weeks to a month or so.

I'm just being a little lazy but also would like to get my truck up and running again as fast as possible since I have a bit of work I'd like to do on my camaro ad well. I have a 350 sitting in the garage that needs to replace the camaros 305, but I can't get that out of the way when my Bronco is down!

I was going to order Beans diesel fuel aystem, but their website said they had potential order delays and I couldn't get a hold of them when I called so I went ahead and ordered the Bar None kit.

Im hoping I can get it by this weekend so I can be back to driving the Bronco! I'll at least start by taking out the fuel bowl/pump/lines so that's done!

Old 01-17-2017, 06:15 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Oh, and I did get my gauge working recently. The psi was semi low (about 35 at idle), but the BB mod pushed it up to around 50-60. However, fuel is getting in my oil so I'm assuming that's due to the fuel pump leaking out through the plunger. I don't think fuel would really enter the crankcase any other way.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:35 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Bubba Jones
I'm just being a little lazy but also would like to get my truck up

If it helps at all, I've been on here for over 12 years and have found at least half of the DIYers after completing the job have stated that they wish they would have just bought a kit.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:12 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
If it helps at all, I've been on here for over 12 years and have found at least half of the DIYers after completing the job have stated that they wish they would have just bought a kit.
This is exactly what I found doing research. My first kit was a stellar one built by Bill. In the 4 years I had it, it NEVER gave me issue and was really simple to install. My second one is coming this week. It's a used kit done by Dieselsite that gave its first owner zero issues.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:08 PM
Pigpen1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does Bill still build efuel kits?

Quick Reply: E-fuel: Beans, irate, bar none, someone else?