2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

resale value

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 09:52 PM
nxtdiesel
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
resale value

Does the resale value drop more than usual when a complete redesign of your model occurs? The reason I ask is because I have a 14 RAM 3500 crew cab diesel and was planning on keeping it until around 2019 which is when I have heard they will redesign their Heavy Duty trucks. Would it be smarter for me to get rid of mine before the new models are released or will it not make much difference?

Old 01-08-2017, 10:47 PM
347Flatty
Senior User
Originally Posted by nxtdiesel
Does the resale value drop more than usual when a complete redesign of your model occurs? The reason I ask is because I have a 14 RAM 3500 crew cab diesel and was planning on keeping it until around 2019 which is when I have heard they will redesign their Heavy Duty trucks. Would it be smarter for me to get rid of mine before the new models are released or will it not make much difference?

Just an fyi...this isn't a Dodge forum. Usually their value drops when ford's are around.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:05 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah I'd dump that turd now and get a new Superduty while your waiting on the '19

Old 01-08-2017, 11:15 PM
nxtdiesel
Mountain Pass
Where did I say I was getting another RAM? I'm planning on getting a SD. The question is, will mine be worth less do to the fact that a redesign of the RAM trucks would have occured.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:18 PM
Mxsledder
Senior User
I think you will take a little bigger hit once the new ones come out. Take the 2016 and previous Superdutys for example. With the dealers selling the leftover 2016s so cheap it definitely impacts the used market of these trucks.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:48 PM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Where did I say I was getting another RAM? I'm planning on getting a SD. The question is, will mine be worth less do to the fact that a redesign of the RAM trucks would have occured.
Get the best of both worlds! Wait a year to sell the Ram, it will still be the current model and the Super Duty will be cheaper then. Right now, there isn't much of a rebate on the SD, they are a new design, and folks are buying them since the design is so fresh.

Take that time to save a some extra $$ so you can load up on exactly what you want.

The answer to your question is yes, buts it's not that significant.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:24 AM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When a new model is introduced there is almost always a price increase that accompanies it. That increase pulls the price of the used models up with it, so many times the depreciation that is expected on the older models is negligible.
Good luck with whatever you decide. I too used to own a Dodge. Loved the Cummins engine, the rest of the truck, not so much.
The Fords I've owned have treated me well, and this 2017 has been flawless and very impressive so far.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:29 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by 347Flatty
Just an fyi...this isn't a Dodge forum. Usually their value drops when ford's are around.
Originally Posted by CuNmUdF250
Yeah I'd dump that turd now and get a new Superduty while your waiting on the '19
We're a Ford forum, but we aren't that kind of Ford forum. If you're posting to bash without bothering to answer the question please don't bother posting.

The only time I've seen resale value tank on a first model year is if it's a known problem child. The 6.0L diesel of 2003-2004 comes to mind, and to this day they're worth significantly less than an equivalent 1999-2003 7.3L truck, and sometimes less than gas trucks of the same vintage. With the aluminum bodies being out for two years in the F150s I don't think there's much risk of that happening. Both engine offerings are mild reworkings of what we've had since 2011, and they've developed a good record in that time.

The opposite is true for the previous generation; their value is dropping every day the '17+ trucks are on the road. A guy like me wouldn't even consider previous-gen model with how much better the '17s are.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:51 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 535 Likes on 259 Posts
Resale value is going to be worst during the first year of a new redesign. The reason, as someone mentioned, is that the dealers have leftover trucks from the same generation as yours. The dealers will be selling towards their bottom dollar, and additionally, the manufacturer will be offering decent rebates to move the old models off the lot. So book value will actually drop during this transition year pretty hard.

I went through this trading a 2016 for a 2017 Ford.

That said, RAM has delayed a full redesign of their HD trucks. It looks like in 2018 / 2019 their will be a refresh...probably minor exterior design tweaks, some upgrades to the interior, and a bump in power for at least the Cummins engine.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:11 AM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
If it's still a Cummins engine. I was reading that the Italian owners of Ram are pushing very hard to replace the Cummins with a Fiat diesel to keep their money "in house".

Old 01-09-2017, 08:39 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by RJC2
If it's still a Cummins engine. I was reading that the Italian owners of Ram are pushing very hard to replace the Cummins with a Fiat diesel to keep their money "in house".
I've heard this speculation as well. it makes perfect sense, given the lawsuits FCA and Cummins have both filed against each other. However, I don't think FCA is naive to the sales they get for the sole reason of the "C" on the fender.

I think its safe to assume the next update will still be a Cummins. Spy shots have captured RAM HD vehicles doing high altitude testing in the Rockies, with a sign on the door saying the vehicles belong to Cummins, not RAM.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:05 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd say it does, but it shouldn't be a factor for you. Waiting an extra year or doing it a year early will cost you more in either deprecation, or opportunity cost. I wouldn't let model changeover be a decision factor for you. But it might be of value to know that January 1 is every cars birthday, and the time of year for the market are bigger factors than what body generation it is from what I see.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:34 AM
LCC
Mountain Pass
You have the same chance at predicting the future by asking the magic 8 ball.

Value is associated with demand. If there is a high demand for your truck when you're selling it, then yes. I would keep a close eye on what RAM will be doing when your ready, and see if they do in fact change the engine. If they do, then that could be a good thing for you. I haven't meet a guy that didn't LOVE his cummings diesel. So, there may be a rush for older trucks if the cummings is dropped. Like the 99 to 2002 (if I recall) without emissions crap. Around here those are sought after trucks that command a high dollar. Remember when the 6.0 came out and had all sorts of "issues", a used 7.3 was in high demand and still is over the 6.0. Until the 6.7 came out

Old 01-09-2017, 09:46 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by LCC
...I haven't meet a guy that didn't LOVE his cummings diesel.
Not to be the grammar police, but it is a Cummins diesel. Cumming is something altogether different, lol.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:50 AM
LCC
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by troverman
Not to be the grammar police, but it is a Cummins diesel. Cumming is something altogether different, lol.

Quick Reply: resale value