2015 + Expedition & Navigator 2015 + Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

'17 Expedition owners, report?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 07:17 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
'17 Expedition owners, report?

Didn't want to hijack another thread. So, I'm seriously looking at a '17 Expedition to replace my wife's Toyota 4Runner sometime this year. No complaints on the Toyota, but it's getting long in the tooth, and starting to nickle and dime us. Would have replaced it sooner, but wife loves the car.

The new 4Runner is a no-go, as they "redesigned" it and took away a significant amount of rear cargo area. This is a "deal breaker" for us, as we have 4 Labrador retrievers (all 4 are rescue dogs), and we use her car to haul them around when needed (vet trips, runs to the park, "rides", etc). Her current car is really too small for this, but we've "made do". Can haul 1 or 2 (barely) in the back seat of my truck, but the older ones can't make the jump anymore.

Haven't seen the base model (if you can call it that) Sequoia, but it doesn't look like the rear seat folds flat for a flat cargo area. The only one my local dealer seems to get in is the high end platinum edition (which we don't want).

Anyway,

The new Expedition looks good for our needs, probably just the standard model, possibly the "EL", although wife doesn't want something "too big". So, I'm thinking XLT, 4x4, tow package, 3.73 limited slip rear, cloth interior (wife says "no leather"), and she wants "blue" (lol, ok). One option I don't see is heated side mirrors. Is this available (without being buried in some huge package like KR or ?)?

I've seen lots of reports on ecoboost problems, so I'm thinking of doing the oil can mod, and drain plug mod for the intercooler right away. Anyone doing these? Any blow back from Ford on warranty coverage after doing said mods?

Feedback on the car in general, good, bad, etc?

Thanks.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:31 AM
B-McD
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey! What's wrong with blue?? Mine's a 2016 but exactly the same as the 2017s. My first Ford in about 15 years and I am really enjoying it. 10K on the clock and nothing but oil changes and tire rotations. Bought it to tow our 30' camper but from your pic you have the towing covered. I also looked at the Toyota but felt it was a bit outdated. Yukon Denali was my first choice but they were not budging much on price. Was able to get almost $10K off on the Expedition price, which started out $10K less than the Denali. Test drive some of the others - the Ford won me over on ride comfort.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:58 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Lol, I like blue. The funny part for me was she said that like it was her "line in the sand" demand. It HAD to be blue! Lol, ok dear, I'll do it for you.

Hehehe.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:43 PM
jbhford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although we don't have a 2017, we do have a 2007 with 110,000+ miles. We've bought it in December '08 with less than 30,000 miles. We came from a 1997 4Runner with 170,000 miles to a 2006 Expedition Eddie Bauer we kept for a year and a half. I'm very familiar with the Sequoia line as well as my mother drove a 2003 Limited for thirteen years and 120,000 miles and traded it last year for a brand new 2016 Sequoia Limited. All vehicles mentioned were 4x4. As said, I don't have a 2017 nor an Ecoboost, but may be as qualified as any on this forum by having plenty of seat time in all three vehicles. So here's my take.

I like both the Sequoia and Expedition, with an obvious leaning towards the Expedition. I feel each one gives up an attribute for another in order to stay competitive price wise.

Toyota assembles an overall tighter vehicle. Go tug, push and contort the interior of a Sequoia; the handles, dash panels, *****, rocker buttons, even give the seat backs a good two-handed shake. Very solid compared to the Expedition; mushy door panels, crackly dash components, etc.

Now as for the "ride", no comparison. Our 2007 Expedition even trumps the 2016 Sequoia. It's quieter (engine, road and wind noise) and smoother riding. Although the Sequoia has a tightly sprung suspension that feels solid, which I like and can probably be replicated with the custom suspension in Platinum and Limited Expeditions with 22" wheels.

What impressed us most about the high mileage Toyotas was the overall service life of components that get used daily. On both the 1997 4Runner and 2003 Sequoia, every little button and gizmo still functioned when they left the driveway; the doors shut solid, buttons/controls still crisp and tight, leather in great condition, window motors strong, etc. The Expedition has not been the same; paint flaking on buttons/controls, window motor shot, CD exchanger hung up, heated/cooled seat harness shorting out, etc.

In short, I think the Toyota designers got together and said, "We need to release a $60,000 full size SUV. Let's give up some comfort for longer service life of certain components. Sacrifice a smooth, quiet, engine for a solid platform that gets the job done even if the MPG is underwhelming." Whereas, Ford decided to go the completely opposite direction. Nothing wrong with either concept.

As for us, our next vehicle will still probably be the Expedition again. Both are great vehicles and a great value compared to the other brand. Hope this helps.