Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2.7L leaking oil pan x3

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 04:08 PM
gulfman12
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before I placed a factory order for a 2018 f150 lariat, being a retired automotive tech I asked a business friend that works in the Ford dealership parts department of any problematic areas of the 3.5 echobeast. He said to me worst thing they see is leaking oil pans, he never elaborated on just a gasket change or oil pan but I thought it's something easily checked and fixed. Hopefully will have it within the next 3 weeks, can hardly wait

Old 01-05-2018, 04:40 PM
mustang221965
New User
Oil Pan replacement

I also have a 2.7 Eb in my '15 F150 and have had the oil pan replaced twice. In between the first and second, Ford changed the procedure for fixing the problem. From what the service manager told me, the old pans are not reused as there is no gasket used in this application, only a type of RTV sealant that is impossible to completely clean off the old composite pan. The new procedure takes almost two days for a simple pan swap. The drop the old, let drip for 24 hrs, clean, replace with a new pan, let sit for 12 hrs again then fill with oil. Mine the leak was very minor but since it is under warranty, i'll keep having it fixed until warranty runs out. I doubt I lost more than an ounce or two of oil in the 3000 miles between services and also pan replacements. I have not looked to see if this repair is holding.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:51 AM
c1s1blues
New User
LEAKING OIL PAN

2016 F-150 with the ecoboost. 30k mile and this is the 4th oil pan the dealer is replacing. Do I have any other options? It's a week every time it goes in.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:15 PM
kblast523
New User
Me Too...

Originally Posted by mustang221965
I also have a 2.7 Eb in my '15 F150 and have had the oil pan replaced twice. In between the first and second, Ford changed the procedure for fixing the problem. From what the service manager told me, the old pans are not reused as there is no gasket used in this application, only a type of RTV sealant that is impossible to completely clean off the old composite pan. The new procedure takes almost two days for a simple pan swap. The drop the old, let drip for 24 hrs, clean, replace with a new pan, let sit for 12 hrs again then fill with oil. Mine the leak was very minor but since it is under warranty, i'll keep having it fixed until warranty runs out. I doubt I lost more than an ounce or two of oil in the 3000 miles between services and also pan replacements. I have not looked to see if this repair is holding.
Me too.
At 16k oil change in August 2016, shop that changed the oil noted the pan appeared to be leaking, might want to get a dealer to look at it. Kept my eye on the oil level (never went down), no drips on the drive...golden, right/ Nope. Scheduled 20k oil change at a dealer January 2, (68 miles from the house) and sho-nuff...leaking oil pan. Parts ordered, and work done January 20. Early June, five plus months later, traveling to Texas Motor Speedway for June race pulling 24ft. travel trailer, CEL illuminated just east of Childress. At Vernon, pulled into the Ford dealer who looked at and reset the CEL. Tech also mentioned I might need to get leaking oil pan looked at as there was a TSB on it. Oh, wait, you already had that done...but looks like it needs attention, again. And the CEL is bank 1 #1 passenger O2 sensor defect. We don't have it, but someone in the DFW area should. Good luck...On way back home after the races, CEL re-illuminated so I called the dealer who had previously done the work, told them about O2 sensor and oil leak. Scheduled appointment for following Monday, and also asked about oil change as I was at 24,000 miles. made appointment, got oil pan replaced, but had to order O2 sensor. When I picked up my f\truck, service advisor asked "Why does your truck have the old style oil pan on it?" My response was "Your guess is as good as mine, you guys did the only work I've had done on it." And then: We put Motorcraft oil in your truck, forgot you brought your own, that will be ok, won't it?' Well....not really. But Ok. Part came in, took the truck BACK to the dealer, they replaced the O2 sensor, and lo and behold, drained the Motorcraft and put my Valvoline Synpower in...overlooking the filter I had provided. Oh well.
In August I had an AFE trans pan installed, increasing fluid cap by 6 quarts. Found bolt missing from aero shield. Found 4 of 6 bolts holding cross member, loose. Found front aero shield improperly installed. Shop got it back the way it was supposed to be...but GEEEEZZZ LOUISE!!!! And they wanted to put a 'new' plug in the pan, looked like it was leaking....I pointed out that the oil on the drain plug is from the leak at the pan rail...and the pan is all shiny except where there is dirt in the oil.
So last Tuesday, while in Arlington, Tx, had a problem with the door locks (different forum, recall and TSB) and called a different dealer in Amarillo. They told me I should take the truck to a dealer in the metroplex to get it fixed immediately. Then I told them about oil pan....Oh, better wait, that takes three days. Well, guys it took less than 8 hours both the other times....
When the parts come in for the door locks, I will be returning the truck to the dealer in Amarillo. Not the first one, the second one. I have 33,400 miles on this beast and if the service departments can get t heir collective acts together, maybe I can get fixed.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:05 PM
Jnich1977
New User

Last edited by Jnich1977; 10-01-2021 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:53 AM
jadam
New User
Yup...Me too. My 2017 Supercab 2.7L with 8000km just went in for oil change and dealer says pan leaking. They say they need truck for 2 days to repair including sealant cure, . They ordered new pan, gasket(oil tube), bolts and nut/washer assy. Hope the repair lasts. And here I was worried about the bad cylinder heads....still keeping my eye on that too!

Old 05-22-2018, 07:42 AM
Don Shinsdale
New User
late getting here!

I currently have a 2011 3.5 EB F150 FX4. The only issue I've had twice with it are misfires after out of gap plugs and then when plugs needed replacing. Zero oil ever and it's currently at 205,000km. I am replacing it and am looking at a 2015 2.7 EB. The dealer said those particular engines have had an ongoing oil pan issue that they've thrown many 'solutions' at but could never fix. However, he did add they believe they now have the issue resolved. They have to replace the pan, let it sit for 6 hours and then add oil. I wouldn't generally buy into his word, but he is my wife's cousin and her father basically keeps him in business with his spontaneous purchases! So I don't have 'stats' as it comes from him but apparently it is an identified 2.7 EB issue. I've loved my 3.5 so hopefully the 2.7 doesn't tarnish the relationship.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:21 PM
kblast523
New User
Back to original post, leaking oil pan on 2.7L EB...FOUR oil pans in 21k miles later...https://ford.oemdtc.com/3636/oil-pan...9-ford-lincoln

Old 12-12-2018, 06:29 PM
69bossscj
New User
My 15 f150 2.7l oil pan gasket nightmare and MORE

So I purchased a 15 f150 4x4 supercrew sport with the 2.7l 8 months ago and it had just 20k miles (crazy low miles for a 4 year old truck right?). I noticed an oil leak when I got under it to change the oil and my truck has been at a local dealership for 2 months! The first month was for the oilpan gasket to be covered under the factory warrenty and to get the gasket installed. They also fixed the recalls which were for door latches and part of the carpet recall which could ignite if t-boned. So yeah... off to a great start. I drove it for 2 days and noticed my front end was howling like I had aggressive tread or mud terrain tires. After helping the technician (I am not kidding) locate the noise and driving him around our city for an hour so he could hear the noise he said "lets replace the front wheel bearings on ford's dime". I have been waiting almost a month and have been told the extended warrenty I purchased had covered it since ford wouldn't. Hub bearing assembly is on backorder until dec 29th from ford.... I think I am done with ford and this dealership.

Side note: before this I had a 13 focus hatch with the dual electric clutch which was a nightmare too!

I should have kept my 13 f150 6.2l platinum or the pickup I had before which was an 09 f150 supercrew lariet with the 5.4l.

Anyone else done with ford at this point? Looking for a tundra or Ram I think at this point...

any suggestions or help appreciated in advance

Old 12-13-2018, 09:00 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by 69bossscj
So I purchased a 15 f150 4x4 supercrew sport with the 2.7l 8 months ago and it had just 20k miles (crazy low miles for a 4 year old truck right?). I noticed an oil leak when I got under it to change the oil and my truck has been at a local dealership for 2 months! The first month was for the oilpan gasket to be covered under the factory warrenty and to get the gasket installed. They also fixed the recalls which were for door latches and part of the carpet recall which could ignite if t-boned. So yeah... off to a great start. I drove it for 2 days and noticed my front end was howling like I had aggressive tread or mud terrain tires. After helping the technician (I am not kidding) locate the noise and driving him around our city for an hour so he could hear the noise he said "lets replace the front wheel bearings on ford's dime". I have been waiting almost a month and have been told the extended warrenty I purchased had covered it since ford wouldn't. Hub bearing assembly is on backorder until dec 29th from ford.... I think I am done with ford and this dealership.

Side note: before this I had a 13 focus hatch with the dual electric clutch which was a nightmare too!

I should have kept my 13 f150 6.2l platinum or the pickup I had before which was an 09 f150 supercrew lariet with the 5.4l.

Anyone else done with ford at this point? Looking for a tundra or Ram I think at this point...

any suggestions or help appreciated in advance
Sorry to hear about your problems and your anger and frustration are justified but you have to take some of the blame for said frustration and anger because you didn`t do your homework before making said purchase.

Even though the vehicle had low miles and it might have looked like a new vehicle, you still should have had it inspected by an outside technician/mechanic that you know and trust before making your purchase. I`m glad that you have an extended warranty so hopefully they`ll get you squared away soon.

Yes, it`s a PITA to take a vehicle in for a recall and they happen to every brand of vehicle but, better to have a manufacturer issue a recall instead of trying to cover it up or not issuing one at all right?

You mentioned Toyota or RAM......If you go that route, I hope you have years of trouble free service but on a side note, just yesterday, Toyota issued a recall for their airbags.

Have a great day.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:38 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
I have read (somewhere) that the oil pan on the 2.7L EB (and maybe also the 3.5L EB) is composite and is considered "disposable". The process for replacing it involves a new pan, and is a 2-day operation. This is mainly due to the fact that it's glued in place, and the glue needs a day to cure. Any shop that attempts to short cut the process risks having to do it again.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:32 PM
ecoboost12
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are absolutely right the Pan comes with the Adhesive already on the Pan and it comes sealed so the air cant get to it
After they do the prep on the engine and clean it off they take the seal off of the Pan and install it on the Engine tighten
it down to the proper bolt tightening sequence and torque it down, The bolts are small so they tighten it to Inch pounds of torque
it has to cure for 2 days before they fill it with Engine Oil.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:34 PM
69bossscj
New User
Originally Posted by GABAR
Sorry to hear about your problems and your anger and frustration are justified but you have to take some of the blame for said frustration and anger because you didn`t do your homework before making said purchase.

Even though the vehicle had low miles and it might have looked like a new vehicle, you still should have had it inspected by an outside technician/mechanic that you know and trust before making your purchase. I`m glad that you have an extended warranty so hopefully they`ll get you squared away soon.

Yes, it`s a PITA to take a vehicle in for a recall and they happen to every brand of vehicle but, better to have a manufacturer issue a recall instead of trying to cover it up or not issuing one at all right?

You mentioned Toyota or RAM......If you go that route, I hope you have years of trouble free service but on a side note, just yesterday, Toyota issued a recall for their airbags.

Have a great day.
This is my 5th vehicle from this lot and I trust and know the service manager and I purchased the extended warrenty BECAUSE I did my research beforehand and the 2.7l engine is a newer option in the f150 and longevity of the engine and design is not as well known compared to say a triton. I guess I posted for advice on the best way to proceed rather than a Monday morning quartback comment that was passive aggressive. All manufactured vehicles have issues and recalls but by me looking to avoid ford is based on how things have been handled with my last two ford vehicles I have purchased. Ford does not seem to have the same quality design, engineering and ownership when it comes to these newer vehicles is I guess what I am saying. Maybe I had too much faith in the above and dealership I have used for years and I own that part. Ford just has been dissapointing

Old 01-07-2019, 12:32 AM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey guys - I normally post in the Super Duty forums. I know this is the F150 section but just over 2 months ago, we purchased a brand new 2018 Edge Sport with the 2.7L twin turbo EB. Had a funny smell from the get-go but when I asked the salesman, he just said it was the new engine smell and it'd be gone after 1,000 miles. At about 1,200 miles, the smell had gotten stronger, if anything, and to me smelled like burning oil. Confirmed a couple oil spots on the garage floor and took it in to our dealer who told us it was the oil pan being warped and/or not sealing properly.

This dealer has been excellent through multiple new vehicle purchases and one-off problems here and there. They replaced the pan but on Friday called and offered us a loaner because the replacement pan still leaked. The Service Manager told me he believes it was because they put oil in it too quickly w/o letting the sealant cure. They gave us a good loaner vehicle and we're just waiting. And then I figured I'd start searching these here forums and I learned this same 2.7L is in the F150 and lo and behold, we're not alone.

So - hit me with it. Has anyone actually had this issue successfully repaired?

Old 01-07-2019, 09:58 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
The oil pan replacement procedure can not be rushed. It needs to cure for at least a day after it been installed before you can add oil. If they did not keep the truck for a couple days, they rushed it.

Quick Reply: 2.7L leaking oil pan x3