Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2015 - 2020 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum276/)
-   -   2.7L leaking oil pan x3 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1468289-2-7l-leaking-oil-pan-x3.html)

krvoorheis 12-27-2016 03:23 PM

2.7L leaking oil pan x3

Anybody having problems with oil pan seal leaking? I have a 2015 f150 2.7 eco boost. I noticed oil on the pan bolts during the first oil change. I took the truck for warranty repair, the tech added dye to determine where the leak was coming from and he confirmed the oil pan seal was leaking. They redid the seal and the problem continued. Next time they replaced the entire pan. Still leaking. Is this a recall issue? I don't know if its the techs or design flaw. Any help...? anyone...?

Tom 12-27-2016 04:49 PM

You're the first I've heard of this happening to. Sounds to me like either a misdiagnosis or badly done repair.

There's a TSB out for a minor leak at the oil pressure switch, any chance it's coming from there?

krvoorheis 12-28-2016 08:23 AM

I have an appointment at the dealer, I'll ask. Thanks. Where is the pressure switch located?

Tom 12-28-2016 08:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
See the attached TSB, and check your build date to see if yours is affected.

krvoorheis 12-30-2016 01:11 PM

If the repair fails again, should I contact Ford?

Tom 12-30-2016 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by krvoorheis (Post 16829858)
If the repair fails again, should I contact Ford?

I would have contacted Ford after the first one. Getting a regional customer support rep involved is always a good idea, and they may offer you an extended warranty or maintenance plan for the hassle.

(800) 392-3673

I'd give them a call now, they should be there today. :-wink

Sooner01 06-10-2017 08:40 AM

2.7 liter eco boost leaking oil

I have a 2015 2.7 in my truck. It is also leaking oil around the oil pan. I was about to change the oil in my truck and I saw what i thought was oil leak on the oil pan. I took it to my local dealer and they kept it to repair the leak. I picked the truck home and parked it. I drove my work vehicle the rest of the week. Friday of the same week I took off in my ford to Texarkana about 120 miles away took go shopping for a new kayak and when I got out of the truck at the sporting goods store I noticed a smell of burning oil. I looked under my truck and oil was all the way down the underside and up on my tailgate. I pulled the dip stick and no oil was showing. I called the dealership back up in Oklahoma and told them what was going on. They apoligised several times and told me to take it to the dealer in Texarkana or called Ford road side assistance to come get me. Well just so happen I had bought the oil for the oil change prior to discovering the leak so I put in 4 quarts before it registared on the dip stick, and slowly drove to the dealer which was about a 1/2 mile away. Needless to say they are keeping my truck till next week and ordering a whole new oil pan to put on my engine. Im just hoping there is no permanate damage to the engine.

2013 ford f150 3.5 eco boost
2015 ford f150 2.7 eco boost
2017 ford f150 3.5 eco boost

Tom 06-10-2017 10:33 AM

Wow. Did you wait fifteen minutes before checking the level? The 2.7L has baffled to slow drainback because of the start/stop system.

You wouldn't have damaged anything as long as it maintained oil pressure, and you would know if the pump started sucking air. It would start knocking and making lots of noise if it were hurting itself.

Gary Hogan 07-06-2017 02:40 PM

2015 f150 2.7 ecoboost oil pan leak

Dealing with my second oil leak. First time they called me and said the oil pan was defective and replaced it. Took it in for a second oil leak this morning. Again it was the pan. They thought they could just replace the gasket but the pan is plastic and they would damage it scratching the old gasket off. So they have another pan being shipped in. They said this is the only one they have seen. Does anyone know if Ford has addressed a better solution for this? Thanks.

93Cobra 07-06-2017 03:46 PM

The oil pan leak is something that is plaguing Ford right now. A very high number of both 2.7 and 3.5 ecoboosts are experiencing oil pan leaks.

IB Tim 07-06-2017 04:49 PM

Curious ..you type "a very high number" where do you get these figures...

Originally Posted by 93Cobra (Post 17310007)
The oil pan leak is something that is plaguing Ford right now. A very high number of both 2.7 and 3.5 ecoboosts are experiencing oil pan leaks.

93Cobra 07-06-2017 05:42 PM

All across the forums. If you read enough, you will see these issues. The 2017 Raptor crowd complains about this, but it must be widespread as it has affected quite a few regular f150 3.5 ecoboosts. The 2.7 has a smaller affected group. The loss of oil pressure on those engines is probably more concerning though.

JKBrad 07-06-2017 07:58 PM

WHY IS HE STILL HERE? He never has any references to back his statements up. He is using this site, and others, to bash EcoBoost engines.

The only reason I am repeating myself is so that the casual search engine user who is researching a product, like the F150, will see that 93Cobra (AKA Sasquatch, Sasquatch77, etc) is noting more than a trouble maker who actually lies about what is reported in one forum vs another.

If you ban him I will buy a paid membership!

NASSTY 07-06-2017 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by 93Cobra (Post 17310007)

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...bbd325eadb.jpg
As usual...trying to make a fairly rare issue seem like a huge epidemic to support your Ecoboost bashing crusade.

93Cobra 07-06-2017 08:37 PM

Prove to me that the 2.7 ecoboost does not have a "low oil" warning issue.
Prove that the 3.5 ecoboost does not have a problem with leaking engine oil pans.

Both are large issues - do your research.