Sponsored by:

excessive smoke offense

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 02:35 PM
Bigbad7.3
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
excessive smoke offense

okay so today I was driving down a two lane state road and a cop had someone pulled over and i have a 97 powerstroke with 150/146 baby swamps and a power hungry hydra so I decided to roll some coal, and I have done it before and never got pulled over, so i went down the road turned and there he was pulled me over and gave me a ticket for exesive smoke and I was thinking about fighting it I do live in indiana and it didnt last more than 10 seconds is there anything else i need to know to fight this?

Old 12-13-2016, 03:49 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Mostly that what you did gives a bad name to diesel drivers everywhere.
Cops have it hard enough already lately, they don't need some yahoo to come blow smoke at them for no reason.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:49 PM
Bigbad7.3
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
Mostly that what you did gives a bad name to diesel drivers everywhere.
Cops have it hard enough already lately, they don't need some yahoo to come blow smoke at them for no reason.
I understand that but it didnt go in his direction or "distort" anyones vision including other drivers i would understand if it was right on him or something of that nature but it wasnt like that

Old 12-13-2016, 05:17 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
unfortunately with the tree hugger attitude most people have these days, if you blow black, you are going to get a ticket. and there is nothing you can do about it except man up and pay the fine.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:52 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Bigbad7.3
I understand that but it didnt go in his direction or "distort" anyones vision including other drivers i would understand if it was right on him or something of that nature but it wasnt like that
Originally Posted by Bigbad7.3
......a cop had someone pulled over.......so I decided to roll some coal on him
So did you or didn't you? You obviously got his attention enough to get pulled over.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:10 PM
Seabiscuit-P3
Hotshot
Received 3,941 Likes on 1,213 Posts
Lecture time 101 and then lets go fishing!
I drive a 96 PSD and do not enjoy people giving us a bad rep. I've never seen a good reason to get smokey.

Imagine this.......You see a cop has someone pulled over on the side of the road so you decide to show off and roll some coal. The person receiving the ticket looks at the cop and says, "see that, what are you going to do about it".

Now, do you suppose the cop really wants to go back to the station and explain to his division commander why an irate motorist you just wrote a ticket to is complaining that you singled him out, but let another violator go?

Let's take it one step further. Wile the chances are minimal of this, they are much greater today than they were 5 years ago.....As you go by, you hit your switch, roll coal and distract the cop. In that instant he looks away, towards you, to see what you are up to and takes his eyes and attention off of the person he has stopped, that person pulls a gun out and fires at the Officer. Or goes after him with a razor blade. (One of the biker and gang tricks was to tape or embed a razor blade in their drivers license).

(Take a close look at my avatar)

What you did was instantly send a signal that you failed the FAT. That translates into Field Attitude Test. I would have most certainly issued a citation for it and if you placed me in an embarrassing position with the driver I had pulled over, I most likely would have towed your pickup to boot. You wouldn't pull up in front of an Officer and then do a burn out, why would you violate the same law by causing unreasonable or excessive emissions, to wit: exhaust. And by the way, I'm retired so you are safe from me.

Not to be a hard ***, but somethings just aren't smart. Diesels are getting more and more restrictions placed on them all the time.

Lecture over, fishing time.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:22 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 978 Likes on 753 Posts
I got a ticket in NY by epa police which have federal guidelines and their criteria was 3 seconds. My truck was doing a regen so I beat it.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:24 PM
Bigbad7.3
Freshman User
So did you or didn't you? You obviously got his attention enough to get pulled over.
my bad i was typing fast and didnt mean it like that it was not on him or near him it just came out and went the opposite direction of him

Old 12-13-2016, 10:26 PM
Bigbad7.3
Freshman User
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
I got a ticket in NY by epa police which have federal guidelines and their criteria was 3 seconds. My truck was doing a regen so I beat it.
in indiana i can have a straight pipe and dont have to pass emisions but there is still excessive smoke

Old 12-13-2016, 10:34 PM
Bigbad7.3
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit-P3
Lecture time 101 and then lets go fishing!
I drive a 96 PSD and do not enjoy people giving us a bad rep. I've never seen a good reason to get smokey.

Imagine this.......You see a cop has someone pulled over on the side of the road so you decide to show off and roll some coal. The person receiving the ticket looks at the cop and says, "see that, what are you going to do about it".

Now, do you suppose the cop really wants to go back to the station and explain to his division commander why an irate motorist you just wrote a ticket to is complaining that you singled him out, but let another violator go?

Let's take it one step further. Wile the chances are minimal of this, they are much greater today than they were 5 years ago.....As you go by, you hit your switch, roll coal and distract the cop. In that instant he looks away, towards you, to see what you are up to and takes his eyes and attention off of the person he has stopped, that person pulls a gun out and fires at the Officer. Or goes after him with a razor blade. (One of the biker and gang tricks was to tape or embed a razor blade in their drivers license).

(Take a close look at my avatar)

What you did was instantly send a signal that you failed the FAT. That translates into Field Attitude Test. I would have most certainly issued a citation for it and if you placed me in an embarrassing position with the driver I had pulled over, I most likely would have towed your pickup to boot. You wouldn't pull up in front of an Officer and then do a burn out, why would you violate the same law by causing unreasonable or excessive emissions, to wit: exhaust. And by the way, I'm retired so you are safe from me.

Not to be a hard ***, but somethings just aren't smart. Diesels are getting more and more restrictions placed on them all the time.

Lecture over, fishing time.
i do understand the first part of this but the rest is a little unlikely lol and theres no way i would have had my truck booted for a little black smoke its not like i smoked out the whole road my tuner was on an econ tune not a "smoke switch" or a race tune

Old 12-13-2016, 10:37 PM
Bigbad7.3
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
unfortunately with the tree hugger attitude most people have these days, if you blow black, you are going to get a ticket. and there is nothing you can do about it except man up and pay the fine.
That's about where I'm at sucks but a small price to pay for a little fun

Old 12-13-2016, 11:45 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Police have the leeway to act with some underhanded tactics. They can hold you for 24hrs on "suspicion" of something. He could have even said he thought there was a bulletin out on you/the truck, or one matching it's description, maybe even for similar behavior, and could have made your day very miserable.
Moral of the story: Don't be an *** to cops. Also don't roll coal, it's wasteful and casts diesels in a negative light. Given that some European cities are now banning diesel vehicles, this sort of thing gives the greenies something to point at.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:45 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You received what you were looking for, attention.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:54 AM
Seabiscuit-P3
Hotshot
Received 3,941 Likes on 1,213 Posts
Police have the leeway to act with some underhanded tactics. They can hold you for 24hrs on "suspicion" of something. He could have even said he thought there was a bulletin out on you/the truck, or one matching it's description, maybe even for similar behavior, and could have made your day very miserable.
Moral of the story: Don't be an *** to cops. Also don't roll coal, it's wasteful and casts diesels in a negative light. Given that some European cities are now banning diesel vehicles, this sort of thing gives the greenies something to point at.
The first paragraph is a little "Hollywoodeske" for Oregon, even Eugene or Portland...but they can make the next pickup payment seem cheap by comparison. Especially if they tow it.

(And then you get to have "the discussion" with your insurance man)

Old 12-14-2016, 03:12 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
there is a big difference between blowing white smoke because of regen and "rolling coal"

Quick Reply: excessive smoke offense