2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Key FOB storage spot

Old 11-27-2016, 08:54 PM
DiamondDave1984
5th Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Key FOB storage spot

Does anyone know if it is okay to leave key FOB in truck all the time? I assume with the spot for it below the console storage, it is okay. Does leaving it in truck cause any problems?

Old 11-27-2016, 09:02 PM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you lock the truck with the door key pad it seems like you can leave it anywhere. I put it in the consol or the door of the truck no issues.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:19 PM
TravIsJT
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed......

Old 11-27-2016, 09:19 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the only problem is, if someone gets in they can drive off. check with your insurance and see what they will do if your truck gets stolen if you intentionally leave the key in it.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:29 PM
DingusKhan
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No way in heck would I leave it in there. It is not a "storage" spot. If the battery dies in the fob there is no key ignition switch (on the high end models.) This spot is only for a dead key fob which I assume is activated or read via NFC (not KFC) so the truck will start. That should be it's only use.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:48 PM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Originally Posted by wb6anp
the only problem is, if someone gets in they can drive off. check with your insurance and see what they will do if your truck gets stolen if you intentionally leave the key in it.
How is it any different then the old hide a key trick? Fact is your locking your keys in your truck. Old vehicles without engine disables could be started with simple hand tools.

Of course it's back and forth argument but I always use to lock my keys in truck when bush riding. Less risk of water or damage and vehicle is still locked.

I was concerned about locking keys inside but appears to work just fine. My door pad works like a charm and the pad activates the alarm which I purchased a shock sensor addon so hitting my truck triggers it.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:02 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It isn't any different from a hide a key that's why I would never use one, thieves know all the hiding spots. And as soon as they get in they can deactivate the alarm with the fob. And now they dont even need to break the window to get in, you can buy RFI amplifiers that will enable them to unlock the truck without having the actual fob. http://www.nbcdfw.com/investigations...330789692.html, just makes it easier by leaving the fob in the vehicle

Old 11-27-2016, 10:42 PM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
That is a whole other mixed bag of cats. Same for cell phone, credit cards, garage door openers etc the list is long. The criminals as always a step a head of the developers always have been just now it's easier to see.

The uneducated will be stopped and very few will actually be educated enough to break in and steal your truck. Mine has been hit 8 times in past 8 years and it's all been stupid things with resulting in really no gain on their part.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:51 PM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DiamondDave1984
Does anyone know if it is okay to leave key FOB in truck all the time? I assume with the spot for it below the console storage, it is okay. Does leaving it in truck cause any problems?

Fyi....the "Hidden" key place is not designed as a storage place for the key as mentioned several times on here. It is a designated spot to make a dup key if you loose one and want to reprogram a new fob. Read your manual if you get a chance. Lots of good info in there. Also...I leave my key in the truck at my house....but NEVER in the wild. I leave it running...but take my key. If they steal it and stop it....they are SOL anyway.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:53 PM
ssoundwave
Senior User
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DingusKhan
No way in heck would I leave it in there. It is not a "storage" spot. If the battery dies in the fob there is no key ignition switch (on the high end models.) This spot is only for a dead key fob which I assume is activated or read via NFC (not KFC) so the truck will start. That should be it's only use.
it's used to make copy's of your fob, although you need both fobs and a blank, there's a page on this in the manual

Old 11-28-2016, 08:01 AM
cferguson77
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another thing to think about when leaving your fob in the truck is in most vehicles it activates the computer. Not sure if this has been fixed or not, but it used to run the battery down rather quickly. The vehicle would sense the fob and activate the computer thinking you're about to do something, like start the vehicle, which would run the battery down. When I was driving tow trucks and get called for a dead battery this would be a common issue on some of the newer cars and trucks.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:04 PM
mlsjohn
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
If the key is in the vehicle and doors are locked the only way to unlock will be key pad or another fob. I was at car wash with my other car and the water locked the car and I did not have combination , had to call my wife for the other set.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:14 PM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Well....yes...that's the way vehicles work. Unless I am missing something. You either use your key/fob....your code...or if your keys are inside a coat hanger....LOL. That's the way it's been for years.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:52 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Rabbit hole anyone? I would assume that a smart well equipped thief could pretty easily make a RFID scanner that could detect keys in vehicles. Their signatures can't be all that hard to interpret. Rather than smash and grab 100 windows to find one with a key, it wouldn't take too much to know which ones you can drive away in! This would make stealing the truck even easier than requiring someone to actually find the hidden key.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:39 AM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
If thieves would apply some of that talent to an honest living, life would be better for all of us.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Key FOB storage spot