6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

New truck and engine build

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 11:48 AM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New truck and engine build

Well I have been keeping an eye out for a loaded 05-07 CCLB (not white or black ) and finally found one in my price range.

To get it in my price range I went looking for one with a popped motor.

I found an unmodified Blue 06 that seems to fit what I am looking for. Apparently the PO overheated it enough to make the oil smell burnt and lost compression in at least one cylinder.

I am not planning on building a high horsepower motor as it will spend most of it's time unloaded. I do not tow very often at all but do need a truck for picking up loads of steel and various large objects so I don't see a need for an all out motor. I currently have a 97 powerstroke (SCLB).

The truck has ~200k on it.

I have a line on an 06 theft recovery 6.0 (missing turbo and injectors) that has ~120k that I can get for pretty cheap.

My plan is to rebuild the extra motor and then swap them.

Given the mileage on the theft recovery motor I was planning on leaving the bottom end un-touched (pending inspection) except for re-sealing the bed-plate, front and rear main seals, BP water pump, and paint (black is boring and you can't see oil leaks). Not even sure bearings are worth it if they look good.

For the top end I am planning studs and egr delete. I will have the heads checked but again with the mileage I am not expecting much but I will have the valve seals and maybe the injector cups replaced.

I have built several motors in the past (though not a diesel) and very much enjoy it so I am looking forward to the build.

I had a few questions:

1. egr delete - is it still general advise to leave the valve in rather than use the block-off that most kits seem to come with?

2. Given the overheat condition of the old motor should I expect the turbo or injectors to be damaged?

3. How durable are the 5R110 transmissions on a stock engine? I have almost 300k on my 97 4R100 and it is just starting to show some shifting issues (no slipping but hard 2-3 shift sometimes).

I have started a spreadsheet of the parts list that so far looks like this:

Ford head gaskets (2)
Dummy Plugs (2)
Stand Pipes (2)
Injector Oring kits (8)
Injector copper washers (8)
Thermostat
Teflon Sealing rings for Power Steering and Hydroboost (6)
arp Head studs
Oil cooler
EGR Blockoff
Tunes to disable EGR
Water pump
Fuel pressure blue spring kit
exhaust manifold gasket (2)
Intake manifold gaskets (2)
Bedplate Seals
Permatex high tack spray
RTV Sealant TA-31
Oil pan gasket set
Rear main seal
front main seal
Valve cover gaskets
rocker box gaskets
updated Pushrods (maybe)

Am I missing anything?

I have thought of getting the Ford overhaul kit due to it's completeness but that includes pistons and bearings that I am not planning on using so will likely be more expensive.

For a tuner/monitor, I hear PHP is coming out with a special version of the Edge insight Pro CTS2. With that I figure I can get a monitor and tuner all in one.

I am open to comments and/or suggestions.

Richard

Old 11-22-2016, 12:13 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool! Looking forward seeing the build!

Personally, I would also have planned to replace all the injectors with motorcraft rebuilt ones as well as a rebuild kit for the turbo. I am also one of those who prefer to keep the EGR cooler, albeit a bulletproof version.

good luck!!!!

Old 11-22-2016, 01:01 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Magnus E
Cool! Looking forward seeing the build!

Personally, I would also have planned to replace all the injectors with motorcraft rebuilt ones as well as a rebuild kit for the turbo. I am also one of those who prefer to keep the EGR cooler, albeit a bulletproof version.

good luck!!!!
I have been going back and forth on delete vs BP cooler. What tilted the scales was that having the cooler out of the way makes it easier to work on in the future if I ever need to get to the hpop or oil cooler. i am planning on keeping the truck for at least a decade or more.

WRT the injectors, I might if budget allows but the injectors in my 97 are original and run fine. I would expect with a similar design in the 6.0 that they have plenty of life left if the overheat didn't damage them.

In my initial plan I want plenty of budget buffer in case I run into something unexpected.

I never thought of rebuilding the turbo, I figured on replacing it if there were issues. A new stock turbo is pretty cheap as far as turbos go. Have a link to the process?

I also have another question to add...

4. if i switch to the ELC coolant, is coolant filtration necessary?

richard

Old 11-23-2016, 12:56 AM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Lifters, I would do lifters also. Jmo

Old 11-23-2016, 06:47 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
And plan on the updated pushrods. They prevent a bottom out if the lifter were to collapse from no fluid.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:32 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
You mention it got hot, hot enough that the oil smells burnt. I'd first pull the oil filter and inspect the plastic standpipe. It is an indicator to how hot it got. If that standpipe is melted gone, I'd probably look for another block because all that plastic will be stuck in the oil galley and who knows where else.
Definitely new lifters and pushrods.
Some of the items you don't have to buy separate. Ford offers them as a kit. For example the oil rail standpipes and dummy plugs. For a little over $100 you get all 4 updated ones in one package instead of each piece separately. #6E7Z-9A332-B
For turbo I'd split it and inspect/clean or replace the unison ring and reinstall it. Ford also offers a install kit for this.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:21 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd scratch the injector cups,, you'd be opening a can of worms that doesn't need touched. This isn't a 7.3.
Rear cover gasket
Hpop seal kit (or stc kit)
Inj crush washers come in Inj seal kits
When I raise cabs,, 2 Teflon seals are needed
Turbo install kit
Exhaust mani bolts n spacers
Y pipe and up pipe bolts and gasket
Y pipe
Donut gasket comes with front cover seal kit (that would scratch the front crank seal, and front cover gasket)
Belt
Pick up tube oring
Cam n crank sensors (or at least orings for them)
Block heater oring (I like taking them out and cleaning them with brass brush bench grinder)
Glow plug wires,, and glow plugs
Flex plate bolts
Torque Convertor nuts
Harmonic balancer bolts
Lpo oring
I replace the lpo regulator
I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:29 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by run6.0run
I'd scratch the injector cups,, you'd be opening a can of worms that doesn't need touched. This isn't a 7.3.
Rear cover gasket
Hpop seal kit (or stc kit)
Inj crush washers come in Inj seal kits
When I raise cabs,, 2 Teflon seals are needed
Turbo install kit
Exhaust mani bolts n spacers
Y pipe and up pipe bolts and gasket
Y pipe
Donut gasket comes with front cover seal kit (that would scratch the front crank seal, and front cover gasket)
Belt
Pick up tube oring
Cam n crank sensors (or at least orings for them)
Block heater oring (I like taking them out and cleaning them with brass brush bench grinder)
Glow plug wires,, and glow plugs
Flex plate bolts
Torque Convertor nuts
Harmonic balancer bolts
Lpo oring
I replace the lpo regulator
I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff.
I won't be lifting the cab, I'll be making one of the engine lifters that attach to the front of the engine and the back of the head to pull it out the front ( Diesal Engine Lifting bracket from Ford Book - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum ).

I also have a CNC machine in the garage so making the odd shaped, back of the head piece is really simple.

Thanks for the updated parts... I talked to one of the well known local machine shops and they said that they almost always have to deck the heads (they even had to on a 60k engine) but it's not a lot. Everything will likely get here in January so I am in planning stages now. Everything might change once the engine comes apart.

Richard

Old 11-23-2016, 01:48 PM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
..................mistake

Old 11-23-2016, 01:55 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 2006powerstroke90
..................mistake
? Care to elaborate?

EDT: oh, I see... it was a posting mistake...

Old 11-23-2016, 02:05 PM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia
? Care to elaborate?
I went to make a new thread after reading this one and some how my thread was a comment on your thread and I couldn't delete the entire comment....lol sorry

Old 11-23-2016, 08:41 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia
I won't be lifting the cab, I'll be making one of the engine lifters that attach to the front of the engine and the back of the head to pull it out the front ( Diesal Engine Lifting bracket from Ford Book - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum ).

I also have a CNC machine in the garage so making the odd shaped, back of the head piece is really simple.

Thanks for the updated parts... I talked to one of the well known local machine shops and they said that they almost always have to deck the heads (they even had to on a 60k engine) but it's not a lot. Everything will likely get here in January so I am in planning stages now. Everything might change once the engine comes apart.

Richard
I shot this a couple years ago but it's worth bringing up every now n then.

That was a head straight off the ford parts desk.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:03 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by run6.0run
I shot this a couple years ago but it's worth bringing up every now n then.

https://youtu.be/EjayM4Kf8BM

That was a head straight off the ford parts desk.
<sigh> i miss working in a machine shop...

Richard