Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Advice on wheels/tire selection

Old 11-18-2016, 08:49 AM
shnoop
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on wheels/tire selection

I recently picked up an old '84 F250 4x4 that has crap tires (11 years old...great tread but dry rot thru the tread). So I'm looking to replace them but then I started considering if I should stick with the same wheels that are on there (16") or move to something larger while I'm at it. The current tires 235/85/R16 which just don't look right on it - too skinny mostly, but the truck is lifted a bit (4 inch lift maybe?) so it might also look better with bigger wheels overall, or maybe just bigger tires?

I confess I know nothing about tires and wheels, especially on trucks so I'm hoping to pick your brains since I've read so many conflicting things on the internet in my research already, specifically:

1)Some people recommend sticking with the 16" wheels because you get a ton more options for tires than 17".
2)Most people say you can safely go up or down an inch and be OK but any more than that and you'll get into a bunch of other stuff you'll need to do to the truck.
3)Some people say big wheels get poor gas mileage and provide a rougher ride.
4)Others say big wheels provide better handling on the road, plus they look badass
5)Other truck enthusiasts say big wheels are just for showing off in the parking lot and do nothing for off-road performance...others say the exact opposite -lol

What would you recommend for my scenario? I intend to drive it on paved roads regularly including in the rain and snow. I also want to be able to drive it off-road quite a bit but I'm no hardcore mudder or anything like that but we're on a farm now with quite a bit of land so I need to use it for work around the property and haul stuff and not get stuck in the mud. I'd also like to be able to tow trailers etc on occasion (but that's not a huge demand for me)? Should I stick with the 16s and get some bigger tires? (if so what size?) or go with some bigger wheels 17s? 20s?

thanks a lot!

EDIT: Follow up to this, the wheels on this are garbage too, only 6 inch wide rim and junky looking so that explains the narrow tires (they shouldn't even be that wide really). So either way I need to get some new wheels too so I'll await your suggestions

Last edited by shnoop; 11-18-2016 at 10:15 AM. Reason: additinal info
Old 11-19-2016, 11:30 AM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
All the newer stuff is really 18". Still quite a bit of 17" new also. I find the 18" options for heavy capacity and lots of tread style and sizes to be the best. 17" is right in there too. 16" has not come on a new F-series since around 2005.

I recommend the 17" wheel and the tire 285/70/17. That is always a great combo. I have had it numerous times on many different trucks.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:37 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Clearly basic human interaction is not one of your strong points.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:05 PM
shnoop
Freshman User
Clearly basic reading comprehension is not one of your strong points. These are quoted directly from the original post:

Originally Posted by BruteFord
You haven't said enough about the truck
Originally Posted by shnoop
I recently picked up an old '84 F250 4x4

and your uses for it?
I intend to drive it on paved roads regularly including in the rain and snow. I also want to be able to drive it off-road quite a bit but I'm no hardcore mudder or anything like that but we're on a farm now with quite a bit of land so I need to use it for work around the property and haul stuff and not get stuck in the mud. I'd also like to be able to tow trailers etc on occasion (but that's not a huge demand for me)?
Nor what you want, bigger?
The current tires 235/85/R16 which just don't look right on it - too skinny mostly, but the truck is lifted a bit (4 inch lift maybe?) so it might also look better with bigger wheels overall, or maybe just bigger tires?

Old 11-19-2016, 05:15 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Clearly basic reading comprehension is not one of your strong points. These are quoted directly from the original post:
Maybe I should have been more specific, I gave you too much credit. Gear ratio, manual trans, BIGGER as in diameter, how heavy, can you get by with a low load rating? But now I don't give a F how you answer, good riddance to you.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:22 PM
shnoop
Freshman User
Maybe I should have been more specific, I gave you too much credit. Gear ratio, manual trans, BIGGER as in diameter, how heavy, can you get by with a low load rating? But now I don't give a F how you answer, good riddance to you.
Don't get all butthurt because you can't friggin read...the whole point of the thread was to gain knowledge on a subject on which I am ignorant. That's why in the very first post I say:

I confess I know nothing about tires and wheels, especially on trucks so I'm hoping to pick your brains since I've read so many conflicting things on the internet in my research already
So no skippy, it's not ****ing helpful at all when some illiterate jagoff chimes in trying to be an internet tuff guy.
Also cute how you went back and editted your initial dumb post even though I've already quoted you on it.

GTFO with you, you look like a fool.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:25 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Don't get all butthurt because you can't friggin read...the whole point of the thread was to gain knowledge on a subject on which I am ignorant. That's why in the very first post I say:

So no skippy, it's not ****ing helpful at all when some illiterate jagoff chimes in trying to be an internet tuff guy.
Also cute how you went back and editted your initial dumb post even though I've already quoted you on it.

GTFO with you, you look like a fool.
Quoted for the record.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:35 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Closed until the forum mod can adjust attitude and address the posts.

Stewart