2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

RAM Diesels Cheating?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 12:43 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
RAM Diesels Cheating?

Not sure where this article should be posted, but I figured Super Duty owners would be interested. A large class-action lawsuit has been filed against FCA and Cummins for willfully cheating on diesel emissions, in a similar way VW did, but going about the cheating in a different way. Here is the link:

https://consumerist.com/2016/11/14/d...-on-emissions/

Lawsuit Alleges Ram Cummins Diesel Trucks Are Cheating On Emissions [Updated]

Old 11-15-2016, 12:56 PM
felix4
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Saw this yesterday.

How many of them still have emissions equipment on them?

Old 11-15-2016, 01:10 PM
Nimrod
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do know BMW was put through the wringer right after VW got torched. Their BMW X5 Diesel for 2016 was held up until around March of '16 due to government verification of their numbers. All other models were out around Sept of '15.

As a side note, there is a sub-industry out there that will strip all the EPA stuff off a new diesel. I know you guys don't know anything about that so I thought I would mention it....

Old 11-15-2016, 01:11 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another Dieselgate. Too bad if it's true. I like Cummins overall, they are a good engine builder. Not very fond of the Fiat.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:12 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Nimrod
I do know BMW was put through the wringer right after VW got torched. Their BMW X5 Diesel for 2016 was held up until around March of '16 due to government verification of their numbers. All other models were out around Sept of '15.

As a side note, there is a sub-industry out there that will strip all the EPA stuff off a new diesel. I know you guys don't know anything about that so I thought I would mention it....
But I see you, hiding behind a smilie!!

Old 11-15-2016, 01:14 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by felix4
Saw this yesterday.

How many of them still have emissions equipment on them?
Supposedly affects 2007-2012 trucks. Is 2012 when they started using DEF?

That's an interesting thought. If there is some sort of EPA mandated "fix" or "buyback" program a la Volkswagen, is it voided if you have deleted? Do YOU get in trouble?

Old 11-15-2016, 03:02 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,437 Likes on 937 Posts
2013 was beginning of def, emissions related issues greatly reduced from less egr, more optimized timing tables as result of DEF.

Im not sure about the grounds of the lawsuit, all of the pre-def trucks were more prone to issues

Old 11-15-2016, 03:15 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76
2013 was beginning of def, emissions related issues greatly reduced from less egr, more optimized timing tables as result of DEF.

Im not sure about the grounds of the lawsuit, all of the pre-def trucks were more prone to issues
So the lawsuit is related to non-def vehicles, just like VW.

thanks.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:33 PM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well it's a good thing nobody does modifications on their trucks like DPF deletes. I whole heartedly do not believe cars are the major polluter in cities. When power went out for several days in Ottawa car traffic was actually busier then normal and there was a noticeable drop in air pollution.

A system that filters out participles and burns them off still creates particles and pollution just not as noticeable or can you actually make something disappear into thin air?

Old 11-15-2016, 07:26 PM
BostonScorpion
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sleepyguy
Well it's a good thing nobody does modifications on their trucks like DPF deletes. I whole heartedly do not believe cars are the major polluter in cities. When power went out for several days in Ottawa car traffic was actually busier then normal and there was a noticeable drop in air pollution.

A system that filters out participles and burns them off still creates particles and pollution just not as noticeable or can you actually make something disappear into thin air?
With chemistry, you can.

Old 11-16-2016, 02:42 AM
Arctic_Wolf
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sleepyguy

If you burn something really, really hot, it'll burn far more cleanly and efficiently with few byproducts besides carbon-dioxide and water vapor. Compare how a modern engineered woodstove generates a lot of smoke when the fire gets started (cold fire) but once the fire is roaring (hot fire), you can't see any smoke (particulates). Close the air vent (reduce efficiency) and once again it starts smoking.

The only reason why diesel trucks need a DPF and regen is because the engine can't withstand the extreme temperatures needed to avoid creating particulates. The DPF is nothing more than a soot collector that doubles as an incinerator. The addition of DEF fluid in the exhaust stream can be used to reduce NOx tailpipe emissions, which allows automakers to tune the engines more lean to otherwise run more efficiently and produce less soot, and in turn, need less fuel for active regens.

If someone managed to make an engine that could handle extreme temperatures without burnt valves, warped heads, toasted turbos and melted pistons, then no catalytic converter or DPF would be necessary to meet strict emissions protocols.

Regarding the situation in Ottawa, was it during colder time of the year? Hardly anything runs without electricity nowadays, so many people with oil stoves would have been without any heat when the electric power is out, and a lot of existing oil stoves aren't particularly clean burning due to far less regulation than motor vehicles.