Sponsored by:

replacing the stock exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 09:18 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
ok ok ok.

running the exhaust like you originally posted is fine. but have the shop remake your Y pipe with out that first cat especially since your running a hiflow cat which is totaly legal. just make sure they put a little crossover between the two pipes coming down off the manifolds before they get to the hiflow cat . this is were your o2 sensor should go. Also when you have them run it down the stock routing have them hang it up as high as possible. this will keep everything out of harms way if you plan to wheel plus it looks way better. also that price is very good.

NOW for Dw dude your driven a truck . how the exhaust gets run on your rig is totaly different then on a bronco. to be honest and dont take this the wrong way but your comments dont hold much in here about this topic . Running duals on a bronco can be done but the tcase for one is in the way causing some erratic bends unless you run duals down the stock routing but in which case is not a true dual setup. Duals are best for hi rpm power needs. this allows for the exhaust to get out as fast as possible . for a heavy 4wd bronco you want a single exhaust setup 3" being max in size to give better low end to move our heavy ***** .

Old 10-18-2005, 01:40 PM
IndySilverAnny
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I ran a 3" system with the Catco cat on my 88 302. I ran it without a muffler, and really liked the sound. It also had MAC shorty headers though.
I did it all at once, so I can't atribute the large increase in power to just the exhaust system.
That price is very good compared to what Midas charged me. Just make sure they don't crush that 3" pipe much while bending it, otherwise it'll defeat the purpose.
OK gotta get back to my hub swap...

Old 10-18-2005, 03:43 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
the exhaust should all be mandrel bent. if they dont offer that then it for sure isnt worth it.

indy you didnt know that midas is the most expensive shop for doing any kind of work there is. those guys are crooks

Old 10-18-2005, 04:05 PM
IndySilverAnny
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, at the time, I was working a lot of overtime, and had more money than time. They were right next to my office building and it was so convenient to drop it off, walk to work, and walk over an pick it up later.
On a bright note, that system must've been a good batch of pipe, because 3 years later when I sold it, it still looked new. No surface rust even.
I had them do a system on my 91, and it rusted off in two years.
They did the shocks at the same time, which are now worn out.
Bassani is getting my business as soon as I'm back to work and able to afford it.
Headers, y-pipe, and talpipe.
I'm also going to buy good shocks and install them myself.

Old 10-18-2005, 08:44 PM
rksiewert
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hollow out a cat

I have a 95 351w, and hollowed out the first cat at the Y pipe. I added a high flow cat converter in place of the stock and passed the Va state emissions test. The only down side I have come across is that the hollowed out cat has a hollow sound to the exhaust on the passenger side. Any popping or bsckfiring is echoed in the chamber. But, it is cheaper than the $400 Bassani Y pipe. I used a long drill bit and a long flat tip screw driver to chew up the cat and dumped the dust in the trash. Took all of 30 min. to do the job.
Ray

Old 10-19-2005, 09:10 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
back firing? why is that happening. that bassini Y with cats is cheaper then 400 if you know where to look. but all hiflow cats can replace both cats legally. the new ones can do the job of two which is nice to know.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:07 PM
Chrisconsin
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
besides it being illegal. The engine does breath and run better without a cat,

with a muffler properly attached. That wouldnt cause anybackfiring or any other harm to the engine components??? right???

Old 10-20-2005, 08:46 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
any engine that comes from the factory with a cat is there for a reason and in some cases might not run better with out. you can install a hiflow cat now days to eliminate flow issues and still put out cleaner exhaust.
it wont cause a backfire but in his case there must be an issue with his engine causing that. any backfire on an efi motor is bad.