6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Looking at a 2015 this weekend, haven't kept up so fill me in please

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 08:50 PM
ponch37300
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at a 2015 this weekend, haven't kept up so fill me in please

So I've been out of the diesel game for a few years after my 03 7.3L was totaled around 2008. Loved my 7.3L and knew a lot about it from this forum. Had intake, DPTuner, MBRP exhaust, and a ton more stuff done to it. Finally in a position to pick up another truck and looking at newer 6.7s.

When the 7.3 went I stopped keeping up on the F250s and the diesel engines. So now trying to play catch up and learn what I can before jumping back into a truck.

We just moved from WI to Iowa for the wife's work. I'm still in WI for now but will be joining them in the next couple months. But for now we drive back and forth about every other weekend. Wife will probably keep the truck for now because she likes new things. So it will be a daily driver which from what I have read isn't the best for these things. Eventually we will use the truck to tow a trailer moving the rest of our stuff to Iowa, mostly my garage full of tools. And will be looking at travel trailers in the next couple of years to two for vacations. We have two teenagers and a one year old and discussing having one more kid. So as much as I would like another lariat like my 7.3 we are looking at the XLTs with the middle seat up front.

Going to look at a 15 with 20 thousand miles on it this weekend. And like I said I don't know much about these beasts besides the little bit I've read in the last couple days. I've been searching the forum and have read a lot but thought I would start my own thread with my specifics. Can anyone catch me up on the cliff notes with these trucks and what to look for when buying one? Common problems? Things that have changed since my 7.3? I know they are crazy powerful so is there any reason to tune them for better mileage? How are the trannys? What do I need to knwo about DPF? When looking at exhausts all they have is the DPF back kits that look like a short tailpipe. Is it even worth it to get an exhaust? I know with my 7.3 it opened it up and also sounded good but just not sure a short section of tailpipe would do anything?

I'll continue to search the forum tonight but just wanted to put some of my questions out there since it's an information overload. Thanks

Old 11-09-2016, 10:59 PM
DavidT.
Elder User
Originally Posted by ponch37300
So as much as I would like another lariat like my 7.3 we are looking at the XLTs with the middle seat up front.
One of the big reasons why I like the XLTs! Good'ole center seat!

Common problems?
They're fairly reliable. The 6.7 is proving to be quite a workhorse. Some early models had turbo bearing issues and regen issues but most problems have been worked out by the later years. Though there is a thread here somewhere about 2015+ models jackhammering or whatnot.

Things that have changed since my 7.3?
A LOT! The thing I disliked the most about my 7.3 was the automatic transmission. This new 6-speed shifts like butter, shifts fast and IMO is tuned real well with the 6.7's power. The ride is also 100x better and so is the turning radius

I know they are crazy powerful so is there any reason to tune them for better mileage? How are the trannys?
I personally wouldn't put a tune it on it until after your warranty expires. Even so, truck has a bunch of power already especially the 2015-newer with the bigger turbo.

What do I need to knwo about DPF?
Regens stink sometimes. Aside from that, it should clean itself out and last awhile.

When looking at exhausts all they have is the DPF back kits that look like a short tailpipe. Is it even worth it to get an exhaust? I know with my 7.3 it opened it up and also sounded good but just not sure a short section of tailpipe would do anything?
Not worth it IMO. Unless you plan on doing a full delete w/tune.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:06 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I had a center seat in my Lariat... but I had to special order it.

Otherwise I agree 100% with what DavidT. said. Some delete the processing plant underneath the truck and some (like me) leave it on. My reason is warranty and potentially resale. It's harder to trade in a deleted truck. Yep, some dealers take them, but ALL dealers take an intact truck. It's also $2k - $3k depending on what you get and if you do it yourself.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:11 AM
94ruck
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I bought a simple xl crew cab long bed. 60/40 center seat with small console ontop when the seat is folded down. i have seat 6 several times and glad to have the center seat.
The cclb is a rough ride- see notes about rear end bounce. new shocks are mandatory and I waited 2 years to do it and so glad i did.
DEF- put in correct tank- make sure anyone who may drive your truck understand how this works
DPF- regens vary and will reduce full miliage. the more you tow, the less you regen. this truck is made for towing for sure. Hiway mileage can also vary depending on how heavy your foot is. i have 3.31 gearing, 35 inch tires and drive easy and was getting 15mpg hiway before my delete. with the stocker 17" tires(31 inches tall) i would get 17.5 avg. Before it would regen, i could get 20 mpg. i do a lot of hiway driving and watching my mpg go from 20 to 15 actual average per tank depending on regens was frustrating but understandable.
Transmission is good. i had 2 7.3 with manual 6 speeds so cant compare and a 6.0 with an automatic that I loved. this transmission is better. smooth shifting.
I love the electric locking rear axle. i am off road considerable amounts of time, many times pulling and I am not a mudder. No tire spin! i use 4x4 a lot and with the rear locked, i can go through goo with no issues. I love the tow mode and engine brake as well. i havent used the descent mode yet.
Aside from the rough ride and ultimately concerns about the dpf , regen and egr,(which i deleted based on the issues i had with my 6.0 and concerns about being stranded), there is nothing i dislike about this rig. the radio and "sync' is simple on mine, no nav or screen to look at. The phone is bluetoothed in for hands free calling and the folks on this website actually helped connect me to a Ford rep to help me set up my phone and Ipod. I elected for the fleet truck for price and i did not want carpet as again, being offroad, my floors can get dirty quick. I had to steam clean my last trucks on a regular basis to keep the interior clean and new looking. this one is easy, wet towel wipe outs and she is "purty" again!
Oil changes are similar to the 7.3
fuel filters are simple, draining water out of the bowl is simple,
I have several friends who are hot shot drivers out of Texas and have 250,000 plus on their 6.7s. Minor stuff like oil leaks around turbos and vacuum pumps, a few radiator leaks. They just fix em up and keep driving them like the 7.3s.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:44 AM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Before doing anything. Just drive one. You really don't need to tune it. While towing our rig I can set you back in the seat when I punch it. Also while towing I have been known to squak the tires. Did that while son was in truck. He said DAD.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:57 AM
ponch37300
Elder User
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like they are nice solid trucks.

The only reason I asked about a tune was for fuel mileage since it will be driven back and forth from IA to WI once or twice a month. I know my DP tuner helped with mileage on my 7.3. What are you guys averaging for fuel mileage on 70 MPH highway drives not towing?

And the exhaust was just because I know on my 7.3 you wanted to open everything up from the intake to exhaust. But looks like a lot has changed since then and with the DPF exhaust systems. I didn't think the short section of what I call a tailpipe would do much but on the website it says it lowers temps and better mileage so I didn't know.

Did a lot of reading last night and learned a lot. Will keep going through the forums and learn what I can.

Any particular things to keep an eye out for on a test drive?

Old 11-10-2016, 07:40 AM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
While your reading, check out the tech folder at the beginning of the 6.7 forum.
It could answer some questions you didn't even know you had !! Lol
I have made the trip from Wisconsin to Iowa many times. Pulling a trailer with five sleds and five guys, with -10 degree weather, the lowest MPG was 9-9.5.
Summer time no trailer 6 people, 18.5. I have had no issues with mine.
Dealer did first oil change and reset the fuel tank size. Hasn't been back.
Good luck shopping.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:46 AM
polarlys
Senior User
We have a '15 and like it. Ours is a Larame XLT, SRW, 4x4, crew cab short bed w/ 6.7. It just turned 36k miles and probably 95% of that while towing a travel trailer that weighs in at 8,000#. All's well with the truck and I do enjoy driving it. I'm currently having a dispute with ford over the trailer hitch. ( see thread on that if interested). Recently I've had several small episodes of front end death wobble. Can't seem to get it to happen consistent enough for a warranty claim. From my reading I hope it's a simple fix with new shocks as the remedy. Mileage ranges from 12.5 - 14 while towing ( computer reading). I put a Titan 50gal fuel tank in and my towing range is 500 miles. Not towing much greater, of course. I don't do much long distance, non-towng, but mileage seems to range upwards to 21 or so. Again computer reading. I drive very conservatively but things can get pretty exciting if I punch it. So far I would NOT advise any deleting. It's got plenty of oooomph as it is. Transmission shifts nice and smooth. About the only criticism I could possibly come up with is that I think the engine braking function does not operate aggressively enough. It works and is a big help especially when towing but I think the Dodge/Cummins system works better. I would not let that keep you away.

Old 11-10-2016, 04:27 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
While on the test drive. Drive it at least 10 miles to get everything warmed up as this rig has a huge radiator , then you can can run it thru the paces of power, ac check and anything else you can think of. Good luck and welcome to the 6.7 forum

Old 11-10-2016, 08:46 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I drive a 2015 and have owned 7.3's and a 6.0.
This new 6.7 is simply the best truck I have ever owned. I still like 7.3's but this truck would run circles around any of my old trucks.
I have had zero issues so far.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:09 PM
ponch37300
Elder User
Ended up bringing home a 2015 Lariat with 18 thousand miles on it. We wanted the bench seat but it was really limiting our choices so decided on the lariat because of how nice it is. If we do decide to have another kid we will have to figure something out.

I did blow off an intercooler hose tonight when I was getting on it. Got it put back on and tightened the other ones after noticing they were a little loose. I know this was an issue back with my 7.3 but would have thought they would have it under control by now.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:21 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Congrats... and the CAC is a known issue with the 6.7. Usually it grenades and can't be put back together.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:35 AM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Congrats on new to you purchase. The crew cab version would have helped in the kid Dept.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:38 AM
DavidT.
Elder User
Congratulations!

Old 11-13-2016, 08:00 AM
ponch37300
Elder User
Originally Posted by bigredtruckmi
Congrats on new to you purchase. The crew cab version would have helped in the kid Dept.
Thanks guys. We did get a crew cab. The only reason for the bench seat was because we have two teenagers and a one year old so now the truck is full. We are still undecided on weather or not we are going to try for one more kid. Have all girls now and thinking about trying one more time for a boy. If we do we need the bench seat option to fit the whole family. But we will make this work for now.

Quick Reply: Looking at a 2015 this weekend, haven't kept up so fill me in please