1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Fuel Pump question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 08:15 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuel Pump question

So I have been looking at the e-fuel bit, and recently I came across a thread on PSN that mentioned that the bosch 044 pump was better than the stock 7.3 SD pump. Has anyone used the Bosch, and would recommend using it for the build?

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-05-2016, 11:28 PM
nateairman
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Are you building or buying the kit? I noticed the bar none kit has stock SD pump and the price seems nice at $10xx

Old 11-06-2016, 12:19 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Nate, I'm definitely building the system. Going with all 6AN oring fittings and lines. The BN kit is nice, and so is dieselsite's, but a cool stack is not what I'm looking for right now. Wiring is not a problem. I already have a donor fuse box from the part yard for the fuse connections.

Just wondering if the Bosch 044 was a good aftermarket solution to the stock SD pump or not.
I pretty much took 3 build sheets and compiling them for what I was looking for. I already acquired a bracket for a dual pump setup, but not sure if that will be be enough for stage 2 injectors?

Its been a hot minute since I was here, but fate made that left turn to get me back in the game.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:41 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
One pump will handle stage II's.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:28 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Thanks guys, I figured as much with one pump, the dual pump I might just put in there as a backup insurance if one fails, so it's right there to hook up.

Heading over to the truck to put a new injector wiring harness on, and possibly get everything hooked up to try and fire her up.

Old 11-06-2016, 02:57 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Whoop! Let us know what happens!

Old 11-06-2016, 06:46 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Wiring harness installed and turbo nearly mounted up. Just that lone 10mm that got lost. Will have to finish tomorrow. Will continue ordering parts for fuel ugrade, and in the next couple of days we'll see if she fires up again.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:58 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Glad to hear you're making progress!! I talked to the guy at Strictly Diesel (Driven Diesel) and he said the Bosh 044 pump was a great pump but it was designed for gas applications and not diesel, so it doesn't have the longevity that the SD pump provides. Also, I haven't really checked difference in availability, but I would imagine parts houses having the stock SD pump much more often than the Bosch044... But that was also a guy that was trying to sell his kit which happens to be one of the only ones with a SD pump on it.

My experience with the pump has been very good though. It is super quiet. In fact, I have to crack the door to even hear it running during the priming stage.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:47 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Thanks for the tip Jarrett! That's why I was just going to order 2 of them, and have a backup just in case!

As for the rest of the mods, they'll be coming, just a matter of getting the old girl running again so I can move her around where it's easier to work on her, and get an inspection done when she is.

Thanks for the parts again! I can't wait to see if the wiring harness fixes my problem!

Old 11-08-2016, 01:45 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
I thought the Bosch 044 is the OEM SD pump. The used take off pump I got was an 044.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:10 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by dclack
I thought the Bosch 044 is the OEM SD pump. The used take off pump I got was an 044.
I don't know... I was just repeating what the dude said. I have read that the 044 is the exact pump, and that the 044 is a "compatible" pump.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:31 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
Bosch 044 * Diesel and E85 shorten the recommended service life to 500 hours.

HOWEVER, this is a universal in-line fuel pump, not an in-tank fuel pump, so it will take some considerable modifications to your fuel system to make this pump work. This pump comes without any installation hardware or setup kit so right off the bat, fittings will need to be purchased. Your fuel tank will either have to be modified to add a lower sump, allowing the fuel to gravity feed into the in-line pump, or be completely replaced by a fuel cell with a lower sump.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:44 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by knottyrope

HOWEVER, this is a universal in-line fuel pump, not an in-tank fuel pump, so it will take some considerable modifications to your fuel system to make this pump work. This pump comes without any installation hardware or setup kit so right off the bat, fittings will need to be purchased. Your fuel tank will either have to be modified to add a lower sump, allowing the fuel to gravity feed into the in-line pump, or be completely replaced by a fuel cell with a lower sump.
Did you copy and paste this from somewhere? No tank modifications are required. All of us that are running e-fuel on our trucks use in line pumps.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:35 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by knottyrope

Ummm, sorry, what? I've Had E-Fuel for 3 years using an inline pump. It's how they are all built. And FYI, the Rockauto pump is very dependable. You guys might try looking at that one.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:22 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
I would not recommend mounting one higher then the fuel tank, the pump isn't meant to suck much or run dry. Running them dry kills them the fastest as well as running them with no fuel flow which cools the windings/motor. They can take a bunch of sediment but rust attaches to the magnets killing them fast too.

I have tested fuel pumps in ground water recovery and ran into those issues.
Lots of sites mention that the 044 burns out fast (more likely from being so popular) and the above could be the reasons for it.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump question