New Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 02:32 PM
Barclavius
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Antenna

Hi.

So, some f@#$%^ decided to jimmy his window with my antenna and now it's a thin rod of crap. Obviously, I'm going to replace it, but before I do I am wondering...

Is there a better antenna out there for a 2007 Ranger? I don't have Satellite or XM or anything, I'm just interested in something with better reception than the stock antenna. It's not a huge deal, I'm just curious and want to better my truck, if I can.

I may upgrade the radio/stereo at some point, but that's a way off.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:32 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Welcome to FTE.
What do you want to do that the OEM antenna fell short on, or couldn't do?

Old 11-04-2016, 08:36 AM
Barclavius
New User
Something with better than average reception would be nice. I'm not a CB radio user, I don't have satellite anything. I just don't know what my options are; I'm not sure where to start.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:45 AM
pawpaw
Originally Posted by Barclavius
Something with better than average reception would be nice. I'm not a CB radio user, I don't have satellite anything. I just don't know what my options are; I'm not sure where to start.
Ok no CB or Satellite, that's good feedback, so do you listen mostly to Local AM, or FM, or Distant out of town stations? Do you live way out of town, in mountains, or in town with lots of tall buildings?

Old 11-04-2016, 08:58 AM
Barclavius
New User
Antenna

I live on a military base. For 20 minutes in every direction, there is nothing but farms, so all the major stations are roughly an hour away...40 miles or more. I was getting okay reception before someone busted my antenna, so I want to see if my truck is compatible with something better.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:26 AM
pawpaw
Ok more good drill down feedback, so your sorta in the boondocks, the stations are remote, 40 miles or so, & being in NJ I'm assuming it's mostly flat where you are, so lastly are most of the stations you listen to on the AM, or FM band? All these drill down questions can help decide a good option, if you want to improve reception on a particular band.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:43 AM
Barclavius
New User
Antenna

Mostly FM. We have an emergency channel on AM, but thats all I care for on that band.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:33 AM
pawpaw
Ok, well maybe all you need is a replacement mast from a local salvage yard, if the screw in base & threads are ok.
If you want, or need to boost signal strength, then consider adding a 12 volt powered signal booster that the antenna lead plugs into before it goes into the back of the radio. Opt for one that says it has AGC = Automatic Gain Control, so when your close to a station, it'll automatically cut the signal boost back, so as not to over drive the radio detector circuit, as that can cause sound distortion.
Your Base PX may have them in stock, or can order one at a good price, or if you have a Radio Shack, or the like electronics store close by, or even a well stocked Walmart may have one & if it doesn't perform they have a good return policy. Buy with the right to return if it doesn't perform to your liking.
If your still unsure what to do, if you know some guys in the Signal Core Radio Section, query them on what you want to do, they should have the tech knowledge to guide you, or go with you to buy a booster, so you get a good product.
Some thoughts for consideration. Let us know what you do & how it turns out.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:36 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I had not-good luck with a signal booster I installed back when dirt was relatively new.

You can buy an aftermarket replacement 'mast', which will attach to the nub left if the old one has that. Most will fit over the nub, and have set screws with allen heads to tighten them in place.
If you must replace the whole thing, mast, base and cable, you can use the old cable to guide the new cable in place. Disconnect the antenna from the back, and attach some string to the end of the cable using tape. Pry loose the base cover plate on the fender, and remove the screws, or loosen the antenna thick portion with the two flats. Either way, drop the antenna down, and move the two legs to one side of the other so you can pull the base up from the fender hole. Try flipping the legs the other way if they don't want to come the first. Some have an offset.
The string should follow the cable through the plenum, and then out the fender. Attach the new antenna to the string, and feed it into the hole, then pull on the string from inside the cab, gently, and guide the antenna cable through the grommet in the plenum wall/floor. Put the base parts in as directed, and connect to the unit.
Most fixed length antennas are fine for AM/FM reception. Adding length doesn't help for the most part unless the factory was a stubby version.
You should be able to find a replacement that has a FoMoCo style base if you want it to match, or can go with a chromed or black if you want to change style.
tom

Old 11-04-2016, 02:04 PM
Barclavius
New User
Antenna

I will definitely consider these options. Thanks guys!