Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Emissions testing woes 76 460 in AZ

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 09:06 AM
speedfreak78
Cargo Master
Received 423 Likes on 338 Posts
Get a propane plumbers torch and hide it somewhere in the truck, I put it under the seat. Run a piece of hose from the torch to a carb/ intake vac port. Crack the torch open as you pull into the service station. I think the propane leans out the mixture. My uncle told me this trick, got my old blazer through inspection a couple times.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:32 AM
traveler1234
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When we had testing the Harley's always failed. We ended up retarded the
hell out of the timing and turning up the idle speed. They passed but you had to get back to the shop fast or the pipes would burn up.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:42 AM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by speedfreak78
Get a propane plumbers torch and hide it somewhere in the truck, I put it under the seat. Run a piece of hose from the torch to a carb/ intake vac port. Crack the torch open as you pull into the service station. I think the propane leans out the mixture. My uncle told me this trick, got my old blazer through inspection a couple times.
Propane is FUEL. It would make it RICHER.

Nitrous Oxide would lean it out

Old 11-02-2016, 11:05 AM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
Nitrous Oxide would lean it out
Yeah, there are many, many handgrenaded engines that prove that!

Old 11-02-2016, 12:02 PM
D-rat
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knew a lot of guys with air cooled Pinzgauers a few years back that were always marginal to get through emissions. They would put a couple gallons of ethanol in the gas to clean it up (hotter burn). Given how close you are to passing that might put it over the edge.

To whomever suggested the bribe, that won't work in AZ....everything is a computer printout and the emissions stations are state run, not private like CA.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:07 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Methanol alcohol, Racing alcohol.

I've read about that too. Almost gave it a try.

I'm fairly confident that if he jets it down a size or maybe even two, that it'll slide right through.

Oreilly Auto Parts can get any of the edelbrock jets/Rods, usually same day.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:23 PM
No704
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get colecters insurance on it. Then tell the dmv to pound sand.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:21 AM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by No704
It will STILL have to go through inspection and pass smog before they'll give him plates. He already said he didn't want to do that.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:33 PM
wacoustahonyock
Freshman User
It will STILL have to go through inspection and pass smog before they'll give him plates. He already said he didn't want to do that.
In AZ it doesn't get inspection or smog on collector registration regardless of year, but to get collectors insurance you need a primary vehicle in addition to your collector vehicle. I was denied by Haggerty because I said I'd drive my truck to work a handful of times a month. I could lie, but then I'd be SOL If I ever got in a wreck.
Originally Posted by No704
My '79 supercab (with an FE engine swap) is currently insured as an antique, so it falls under the collectors emission exemption. The limits imposed with that type of registration is not acceptable for my '76. I want to be able to drive it to work when it is not possible to ride my Harley. Technically I cannot do that. The whole reason for buying this truck was to have something reliable as a primary vehicle (other than my Harley) once VW buys back my TDi. Once gas get expensive I may rethink it.

Last edited by wacoustahonyock; 11-04-2016 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 11-04-2016, 02:17 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by wacoustahonyock
In AZ it doesn't get inspection or smog on collector registration regardless of year, but to get collectors insurance you need a primary vehicle in addition to your collector vehicle. I was denied by Haggerty because I said I'd drive my truck to work a handful of times a month. I could lie, but then I'd be SOL If I ever got in a wreck.My '79 supercab (with an FE engine swap) is currently insured as an antique, so it falls under the collectors emission exemption. The limits imposed with that type of registration is not acceptable for my '76. I want to be able to drive it to work when it is not possible to ride my Harley. Technically I cannot do that. The whole reason for buying this truck was to have something reliable as a primary vehicle (other than my Harley) once VW buys back my TDi. Once gas get expensive I may rethink it.
It's still has to pass because you already failed. Had you done it first you would be exempt....

Did you see what I said about leaning it out?

Old 11-05-2016, 11:31 PM
wacoustahonyock
Freshman User
It's still has to pass because you already failed. Had you done it first you would be exempt....

Did you see what I said about leaning it out?
That sucks, how could I know it would fail prior to testing it...this state is so stupid. Just like how they won't do a title without registration. When I registered my '79, I got a late charge because I was trying to get it to pass. This is the same thing. Luckily this time I know I can get a late penalty waiver (they did not bother to tell me that the last time).

yeah, i did see about leaning it out. I tried again and the result was almost identical leaning it out to the point it was trying to die then added a little back.

I think I'm just going to pull the cat off my 79 just to get through the stupid test.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:59 AM
mikeceli
Senior User
Yeah, it sucks when a state like CA has more common sense to make vehicles exempt after a certain period of time and the exemption keeps rolling instead of being a fixed point like AZ uses.
CA and common sense don't belong in the same sentence.

Our exemption's start at 1975 and older. 76 and newer must pass standards tighter then when the cars were 4 years old!

Old 11-19-2016, 05:37 PM
wacoustahonyock
Freshman User
well the truck passed, barely.

I did end up putting on the cat I had previously used to get my '79 with 352FE to pass prior to getting collectors insurance.

I think the cat had fallen off the shelf at one point because some packing seemed to blow out and it was rattling pretty good after. it is a dual inlet/outlet with 2". I had to use 2"->2-1/2" adapters, but there was just enough play in the pipe to get it on there. I have already pulled the setup off and installed a x-pipe and some glasspack mufflers from Summit (look like Dynomax ripoffs). It has a nice rumble to it. I still have to modify the tailpipe after the muffler, but it doesn't sound like your typical truck anymore.

I'll have to figure out something else for testing next year once I get headers. I may just put on a pair of high flow cats so that I can increase static ignition advance and decrease mechanical advance when I recurve the dizzy. Lots more stuff to do on this thing to wake it up.

At least I can finally register the darn thing.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:44 PM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
well the truck passed, barely.

At least I can finally register the darn thing.
Congratulations! Happy for you that you got that taken care of. Love to see our trucks on the road!

Old 11-19-2016, 07:46 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Once it's on the road and driving, you will be able to really get it tuned up properly. Next year shouldn't be a problem if there isnt some underlying problem.

Quick Reply: Emissions testing woes 76 460 in AZ