Tim's 1973 Dentside

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 05:07 PM
Tim Mausling
Cross-Country
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Tim's 1973 Dentside

Hi everyone,

Just starting a new project and thought I would say hello and ask a couple of questions that are on my mind.

First off, a few details.

I'm in California, so I have to deal with the smog laws here which is what started me on this project. I own a 1976 F150 that won't pass smog, long story, but overall it's in great shape. I came across a 1973 F100 frame with a 6" lift and a 360, Automatic Transmission and Transfer case.

My 1976 F150 also has a 360 but it has a 4 speed rather than the automatic transmission.

My goal is to move the bed and cab from the 76 to the 73, I've done the research on that and feel good about it.

What has me worried at the moment is if there are any subtle changes between the 73 frame and the 76. When I look in the LMC catalog, sometimes I see some notations about the 73.

Most specifically, I'm worried that my plan to swap the manual transmission into the 73 isn't going to be the easy task I'm hoping for.

Can anybody point out anything that I should be worried about as I start planning?

Thanks in advance, I plan to stick around for a while as I'm sure this is going to take a while...

Tim

Last edited by Tim Mausling; 10-29-2016 at 05:10 PM. Reason: attempted to add some photos
Old 10-29-2016, 05:36 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Other than the steering box location and ps versus manual, it is straight forward.

Btw, put your 76 title on non-OP with the DMV. There was a bill last year to move the exemption up to 1980 but it didn't get to the Governor's desk. The bill may get revived next year... ya might be swapping back!

Old 11-05-2016, 08:27 PM
Tim Mausling
Cross-Country
Got the cab all cleaned up and the doors off today. Managed to get the cab and the bed unbolted as well after I went on a socket hunt in my son's room.

I decided on some pier blocks with 2 16' 2x10s and I bought a 2x8 to make a couple of cross members. I have three guys coming over tomorrow, so the plan is to lift the bed and the cab off the frame and set them on the new wood frame. Once I've got that done I have a roller and it will fit in the garage.

I'm bouncing back and forth with the coating for the frame. For the moment, I've decided on sand blasting and having an epoxy primer and coating put down by a local place. I was going to powder coat, but I've seen other people need to modify their frames and ruin the powder coat.

Here are a few pictures.

Tim

Getting ready to remove the bed and cab

Out picking up the wood and blocks for the temporary frame

Hoping the 2x10s hold up well

Old 11-05-2016, 09:43 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
According to: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-answered.html

A bare cab is 317 pounds... a longbed with the tailgate mounted is almost 400 pounds.

Been eating your Wheaties, right?

.. ya best have pizza and brewskis for the helpers so they have something to look forward to when swapping!

Old 11-30-2016, 07:24 PM
Tim Mausling
Cross-Country
Got the cab and bed off, did a little clean up and took the gas tank out. Going to pull the motor, tranny, and transfer case out tomorrow. If momentum keeps up, might try and get out the rear suspension. Ready to get this frame sand blasted and in the garage.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:04 PM
fordmotorsports1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like some nice rust free rigs....California is the devil for laws but great for preventing rust

Old 11-30-2016, 10:12 PM
Tim Mausling
Cross-Country
I'm curious if anybody in NorCal recognizes the color scheme of the cab

Old 12-01-2016, 12:13 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
The upper'color looks like Pebble Beige. Dunno about the dark brown...

​​​​​​​.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:42 PM
D-rat
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Mausling
I'm curious if anybody in NorCal recognizes the color scheme of the cab

Guessing some sort of fleet vehicle..

Old 12-01-2016, 10:51 PM
Tim Mausling
Cross-Country
Yes, it's an old PG&E truck, our local utility company.

Can anybody tell me the weight of the stripped frame? Pulled the motor, transmission, and transfer case today. Going to work on stripping the rest of the frame in the morning. Curious what it's going to take to move it once it's stripped.

Thanks,
Tim

Old 12-08-2016, 10:50 AM
Tim Mausling
Cross-Country
Made more progress and thought I would post some pics. Have the frame totally stripped and dropped it off to an industrial finishing place to have it blasted and epoxy coated. OEM Black with a 20% gloss finish. Guy was great, told me to bring in any other parts I have and he'll do those do at the same time with no extra cost. The guy that runs the place does car parts on the side.

When we pulled the motor, we kept the transmission and transfer case bolted to the engine. That I wouldn't recommend, made it way too heavy on the one side.

I did manage to pick up a D60 rear end, thinking about using that instead of the 9", but not sure if the extra strength is worth dealing with 8 lug in back and 5 lug in the front.

Right now I'm ordering new suspension bushings and the larger gas tank. Once I figure out what shocks to buy, I should get those ordered too.

I'm just glad I'm making some solid progress, so is the wife.... Trucks on blocks in the front yard isn't what she imagined to go with the white picket fence.

Cut off the tabs that I think were used to align the frame. Filled them in and ground it down smooth. Thanks to my buddy with the welder in his garage...

Last edited by Tim Mausling; 12-08-2016 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Fixed pic
Old 12-12-2016, 05:51 PM
Tim Mausling
Cross-Country
Stopped by the coating place today to drop off the rest of the parts that mount to the frame. Got to see the where they do the blasting. That's one of my radius arms in there on the table.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:25 AM
Tim Mausling
Cross-Country
Been busy with the holidays, but have made some progress. Got the frame and most of the parts that attach to the frame back from being blasted and painted. The second parts truck arrived, a F250 2WD Trailer Special, original AC cab.

Got the 250 mostly for the Dana60 Rear end and the radiator core support. But there are still a few other parts I'm going to use that will allow be to keep the Green one as a runner a bit longer.

The original plan was to turn the green 76 frame into a truck bed trailer, but now I think I am going to do that with the frame from the 250. All the extra suspension for the rear axle seems like a cool thing for the trailer. I have an extra Ford 9" rear and I plan to use for the trailer once the D60 comes out.

I'm working on collecting the rest of the parts so I can start the rolling chassis. Right now the frame is up one one side strapped to the side of my garage (inside of course).

Here are a couple of pics. If you are in need of something from the 250, let me know. The AC suitcase is in really good shape and I don't plan on using it.

Merry Christmas!

Freshly blasted and painted

Lots of clean parts ready to be assembled

The donor, truck #3, it is a sickness

Using the quad and my friend the troll to pull the truck out so we can turn it around in the driveway.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:58 AM
76TOOFIFTY
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking good Tim!!! You Cali guys are so lucky with the rust free classics!!! I'm in Mn so we usually have to blast, cut out rust, replace or fabricate.... I would be interested in the trim, front parking lights, mirrors and the power steering line that zigzags back and forth multiple times from your donor F250. Looks like PO or someone stepped on it and kinked the line.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:57 AM
Tim Mausling
Cross-Country
As always, life gets in the way of the fun things. Took a break from building out the 73 for a while and decided to get the parts truck out of my driveway. Long term the trailer and truck will be restored to match. I have dream of buying one of the Capri Cowboy campers to put in the trailer to pull around. A redneck ramada if you will...

In process, saved the back of the cab to make a headboard for my daughter (her idea)

Got a set of rims and tires from a friend that had their F250 go up in flames.

Looks pretty good, went as overkill as possible welding up some extra steel plates for strength. I'm going to get some expanded steel to make a tray in the tongue to hold gas cans, cooler, or generator.

One less thing in the driveway = Happy Wife

Quick Reply: Tim's 1973 Dentside