2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Got the truck tinted!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 08:13 PM
17BLKplat
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Got the truck tinted!

Hey guys!
I know everyone does the basic mods out of the gate, but it seems like everyone always wonders how tint looks once installed.

My truck has Huper Optik tint on all windows except the pano roof.

Tint percentages:
Rear glass and windows = 20% to match fronts
Front windows = 5%
Windshield = 35%

I personally love it this way! Looks great on black and keeps the truck a bit cooler in the summer too.
And for those wondering- NJ has self inspection for any diesel over 8k GVRW. So it makes for a nice clean windshield.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:24 PM
dh1200
Senior User
Looks good, now go get some dirt on that thing. It almost looks too clean. lol

Old 10-26-2016, 09:13 PM
CoDash
New User
Perfect. I did the same except I went with a 5% brow this time, and 20% on the moon roof. By the way, nice bullet antenna.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:22 PM
petei
Tuned
Originally Posted by 17BLKplat
Hey guys!
I know everyone does the basic mods out of the gate, but it seems like everyone always wonders how tint looks once installed.

My truck has Huper Optik tint on all windows except the pano roof.

Tint percentages:
Rear glass and windows = 20% to match fronts
Front windows = 5%
Windshield = 35%

I personally love it this way! Looks great on black and keeps the truck a bit cooler in the summer too.
And for those wondering- NJ has self inspection for any diesel over 8k GVRW. So it makes for a nice clean windshield.

Why don't you tint the moon-roof?And why you tint all the windows.I agree to tint the front but the backs are already tint right?

Old 10-26-2016, 09:35 PM
17BLKplat
Junior User
Originally Posted by petei
Why don't you tint the moon-roof?And why you tint all the windows.I agree to tint the front but the backs are already tint right?
The panoramic roof came with factory tint. You want to use a commercial film on roofs of any type because of the heat soak they'll see in the summer days or even typical use. It had enough shade to it that I didn't want to go darker and really lose the effect of its use.

I did the backs because factory is probably about 25% and I didn't want them not to match the 5% I did on the front driver and passenger windows. From the outside and inside the truck windows all have the same transparency now.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:51 PM
NStorm
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks awesome! I'm going to do the fronts to match the rears...then the pano, if it gets too hot.

Well done!

Old 10-26-2016, 09:58 PM
Saluki_guy
Tuned
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Windows look good

Where is the best place to go to find out what the truck tint laws are for each individuals state? I need to find out about Georgia, Illinois and Iowa..

Old 10-26-2016, 10:15 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Looks great but around here you'd get 3 miles and be pulled over. Things are generally pretty hassle free in Utah but dark tinted windows will get you a fix-it ticket fast.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:40 PM
Jace2016
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Looks great but around here you'd get 3 miles and be pulled over. Things are generally pretty hassle free in Utah but dark tinted windows will get you a fix-it ticket fast.
Same here! Windshield would last about a day around here. I use the clear on the windshield on every vehicle to cut down the heat but if you use anything darker they really hassle you around here. Looks good and it is DARK!

Old 10-27-2016, 05:40 AM
Benny996
Senior User
Wow, that does look good. I must be blind though, I just realized the windshield at the top isn't cut straight across. I have been lurking here for months, built countless 2017 trucks (getting it narrowed down) and never noticed the windshield. Now I have to wait until it gets light out here and look at my 2011. Again, sharp looking truck.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:56 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks good...front tint is not allowed here in CA except for a 4 inch strip across the top of the windshield.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:59 AM
17BLKplat
Junior User
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Originally Posted by Jace2016
Same here! Windshield would last about a day around here. I use the clear on the windshield on every vehicle to cut down the heat but if you use anything darker they really hassle you around here. Looks good and it is DARK!
Thanks for the compliments guys!
Jersey law doesn't allow anything forward of the B pillar, but I've had no issues cruising with this set up on my old truck. It's not legal, but I suppose they're more worried about cars and youngins than me in my truck. I was only pulled over once before and the cop even said "it looks great, but it's illegal." Lol

Originally Posted by Benny996
Wow, that does look good. I must be blind though, I just realized the windshield at the top isn't cut straight across. I have been lurking here for months, built countless 2017 trucks (getting it narrowed down) and never noticed the windshield. Now I have to wait until it gets light out here and look at my 2011. Again, sharp looking truck.
The new windshield edge along the top is new for 17. I actually really like it. It's a slick subtle accent that really adds a bit of character to the front end.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:06 AM
Arctic_Wolf
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Saluki_guy
Windows look good

Where is the best place to go to find out what the truck tint laws are for each individuals state? I need to find out about Georgia, Illinois and Iowa..
quick reference table:
Tint Laws

also for links to specific state codes:
Window Tint Laws: State-Specific Information - FindLaw

There's quite a few other references for this on the interwebs because all tint shops need to know what the rules are when an out-of-state vehicle rolls into their shop, or someone with noticeable tint decides to go on a multi-state road trip.

Originally Posted by 17BLKplat
It's not legal, but I suppose they're more worried about cars and youngins than me in my truck. I was only pulled over once before and the cop even said "it looks great, but it's illegal." Lol
It probably depends greatly on where you actually drive a tinted truck like that. In nice areas or out in the country nobody suspects anything. Granted that a big pickup isn't a drug-dealer's choice vehicle, but an Escalade with that amount of tint in a rough area would be a magnet for attention from police.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:19 AM
fidel.medrano
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That tint laws website isn't accurate.

For instance it says in texas the rear windows have to be 25 percent.

The facts *in texas*
The state law actually exempts the rear side windows.
Rear window is exempted as long as you have side mirrors.
Front side windows are limited to 25 percent.

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi...windowTint.htm

Old 10-27-2016, 06:39 AM
Arctic_Wolf
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fidel.medrano
That tint laws website isn't accurate.
Thanks for the heads up re. the first one linked.
Seems like the 2nd link I posted that goes to specific state gov websites for the official statutes is going to be more reliable.

Quick Reply: Got the truck tinted!