Sponsored by: DP Tuner

potential problem in 2000 7.3 PSD

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 03:32 PM
gar
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a 2000 7.3L psd excursion limited 4x4, I was wondering what kind of mileage I should be getting, I drive on fairly flat ground, and usually do not exceed 70-75 mph, my rear end ratio is 3.73 I think, I have been getting around 14.5mpg lately, it seems that I used to get better mileage a couple of month ago, does the heat have something to do with it? It has been miserable around here lately. Also, I had the high pressure oil pump replaced about a month ago, was leaking a serious amount of oil, happend all of a sudden and I brought it to the dealer right after I noticed, I dont think I ran the system too low on oil, anyway about 3 days after I got it back from the dealer, I noticed a diesel smell inside, I got out and noticed diesel running down the front of the engine, being that I was 120 mile from home I just left it alone, well I havn't noticed a drop of diesel since or the smell, I wonder why it would leak once like that and then just stop, this has been like three weeks or a month ago. and then this morning when I started it it "fired" immediately but surged three times before it went into smooth idle, does this sound like air in the fuel system? I am not real familiar with diesel engines. Is there fuel related components attached to the pump, I know that it controls the injectors but is there actually fuel lines the go to and from it? Any help would be greatlly appreciated, thanks in advance

Old 08-24-2003, 09:28 AM
rickeybell
Freshman User
Wink potential problem in 2000 7.3 PSD

I average 22 mpg keeping it under 65. The interstate brings it back to around 16 mpg. Pulling a 16' enclosed trailer with about 2000 lbs of scuba gear on the interstate at about 80-85 will bring it down to 12 mpg.

I do have 4" exhaust and a bully dog chip set to 40hp.

Old 08-24-2003, 01:11 PM
skuteman
Elder User

gar , my suggestion is first go to wal-mt and buy aset of regular sockets and a set of Metric sockets...3\8 inch drive. Then, buy another set of "deep set", i.e. longer sockets both regular and metric. When you open your hood ...look in the center of your engine just in front of the radiator and you'll see a Black plastic cover with two black , plastic covered nuts on top. I thimk they're metric. See,you're already learning how to fix things...also you need to wipe some grease Under your fingernails otherwise your wife will think you've been smoking something instead of "wrenching". When you remove that cover you'll see a flat , round cover about 4 inches in diameter.......thats the top of your fuel filter Cover. To remove it you can use a Large pair of channel locks by sticking the ends down into the cross hatches and twisting. unscrew the lid and your fuel filter will be sitting inside , completely submerged in diesel. Pay close attention to how the Rubber rings are utilized. One on top that comes off with the lid and then another about 3\4 's of the way down on the body of the filter. You only need to change your filter about every 10k miles. I 'm just describing the procedure for you so you'll know what the Sam Hill you're doing. I would inspect the connections around the fuel filter for leaks (that you mentioned) even if you don't need to change your fuel filter. The more you know about the basic functioning of your vehicle the LESS your gonna get Screwed by an unscroupilous(sp) repair shop or dealer for that matter. Just tell'um ...Dis ain't my furst Rodeo.......I done whupped da lass crooked son of a biscuit eatter that didn't fix my Edsel. They'll know you mean business then for sure!!!!If that don't work ...show'um your socket set(s) and lastly you can always put MO' grease under those manicured finger nails of yours. I'm being a smart **** here and just having alittle fun. happy wrenching.....sk

Old 08-24-2003, 01:11 PM
skuteman
Elder User

gar , my suggestion is first go to wal-mt and buy aset of regular sockets and a set of Metric sockets...3\8 inch drive. Then, buy another set of "deep set", i.e. longer sockets both regular and metric. When you open your hood ...look in the center of your engine just in front of the radiator and you'll see a Black plastic cover with two black , plastic covered nuts on top. I thimk they're metric. See,you're already learning how to fix things...also you need to wipe some grease Under your fingernails otherwise your wife will think you've been smoking something instead of "wrenching". When you remove that cover you'll see a flat , round cover about 4 inches in diameter.......thats the top of your fuel filter Cover. To remove it you can use a Large pair of channel locks by sticking the ends down into the cross hatches and twisting. unscrew the lid and your fuel filter will be sitting inside , completely submerged in diesel. Pay close attention to how the Rubber rings are utilized. One on top that comes off with the lid and then another about 3\4 's of the way down on the body of the filter. You only need to change your filter about every 10k miles. I 'm just describing the procedure for you so you'll know what the Sam Hill you're doing. I would inspect the connections around the fuel filter for leaks (that you mentioned) even if you don't need to change your fuel filter. The more you know about the basic functioning of your vehicle the LESS your gonna get Screwed by an unscroupilous(sp) repair shop or dealer for that matter. Just tell'um ...Dis ain't my furst Rodeo.......I done whupped da lass crooked son of a biscuit eatter that didn't fix my Edsel. They'll know you mean business then for sure!!!!If that don't work ...show'um your socket set(s) and lastly you can always put MO' grease under those manicured finger nails of yours. I'm being a smart **** here and just having alittle fun. happy wrenching.....sk

Old 08-24-2003, 01:12 PM
skuteman
Elder User