82_F100_300Six
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Good info guys. Thanks

Old 11-05-2016, 01:06 AM
Tarster
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well im not sure that fixed the problem, I had it stumble once when starting, I think it was monday, I did the remote start as I was walking to the pickup and it failed to start, did it again and it started just fine..

Drove my wifes car for most of the week and drove the pickup today to work and back, fired right up in the morning, we have a slanted drive way so it either sits uphill or downhill depending on how I park it.

I got out today after it had sat for about 6hr, and started the pickup, from how long it took I could tell that it wouldn't have started normally if I was not holding the key forward.. Thinking there is still something odd going on.. Seems to be only happening to me when parked for 6hr plus on a flat surface.. heck if I know.. lol

Old 11-07-2016, 07:46 PM
rkmfordman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarster
Well im not sure that fixed the problem, I had it stumble once when starting, I think it was monday, I did the remote start as I was walking to the pickup and it failed to start, did it again and it started just fine..

Drove my wifes car for most of the week and drove the pickup today to work and back, fired right up in the morning, we have a slanted drive way so it either sits uphill or downhill depending on how I park it.

I got out today after it had sat for about 6hr, and started the pickup, from how long it took I could tell that it wouldn't have started normally if I was not holding the key forward.. Thinking there is still something odd going on.. Seems to be only happening to me when parked for 6hr plus on a flat surface.. heck if I know.. lol
that's too bad mine has not done it since changing the fpdm I read a thread somewhere where a guy was having similar problems as we had and his was fuel pump

Old 11-08-2016, 11:40 AM
Tarster
Tuned
Tis possible its the fuel pump.. but man.. That would be disappointing.. thats like 250$ and then I have to drop the tank.. Not the end of the world as I have done a few on older rigs.. but rather not if I dont have to.. and thats getting to the point I dont want to just throw a part at it...

Old 11-10-2016, 01:06 PM
Tarster
Tuned
Update again.. So it happened yesterday after work.. I have a pretty easy drive in, about 17 miles or so from home to work, takes me about 30 minutes roughly.. Drove into work and parked the pickup, 8 hours later I went to leave.. hit the remote start walking out to the pickup.. no start.. hit it again.. No start.. Got in the pickup and held the key forward for roughly 5 seconds like I have in the past.. fired right up..

I am still baffled about this.. It seems to happen when my pickup has been driven to work.. and then sits for 6 - 8 hours on a flat surface..

My drive way at home has a decent slope to it and I have only had 1 stumble when starting compared to all the issues I have had when its parked at work. I think I will try and park it on the street at home where its flat to see if I can replicate the issue..

Old 11-28-2016, 09:19 PM
Tarster
Tuned
Update.. So I took a video of the starting, this time it stumbled alittle bit and then started, this start wasn't to bad, it normally is harder to start, I'm going to try and get a video of it when it does its normal no start.

https://youtu.be/JStQ2xNZiYE

Old 11-28-2016, 11:13 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
I watched the video, then the full auto shoot at saddle butte. I can't quite tell, do you try to start it, then back the key off for 3 seconds, then try to start again, and that's when it will start?

Old 11-28-2016, 11:23 PM
Tarster
Tuned
Haha well I'm glad you enjoyed the other videos out there

I held the key forward the whole time.

I clicked the key forward so that the dash would come on, turned off the radio and then held the key forward until it started.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:07 AM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Have you tried removing your 5star tune? I have seen issues with tuners come up in the past.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:18 AM
Tarster
Tuned
Yep, put it back to stock for a day and had it happen twice, so I went back to the 5 star tune, didn't seem to make a difference, one of the times, I used the remote start and got back next to the fuel tank and could hear the whine of the pump while it was trying to start.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:32 AM
Tarster
Tuned
Update, So I took my truck to work today, standard day, start it up this morning which went fine. Drove it roughly 15 miles to work including some stop and go right before town, no problems. Parked it and 8 hours later got off work and walked out to my pickup, Here is the video of how it went... After the video, I drove it home, same 15 miles with some traffic, drove great, and then its been drove around town picking some stuff up for building a buddy's bench..

Here is the video, Enjoy. Yes, I do hold the key forward the whole time, after the failed remote start.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:16 AM
Tarster
Tuned
Update.. now that its warmer outside.. 50 - 65ish range, I drove my pickup all last week to work, and every day without fail I walked out to my truck and by golly.. it started every single time with the remote start.. I couldn't believe it.. I was stoked.. But now it adds to the issue.. routinely doesnt start when its cold out, but does when its warm.. such a wierd wierd issue.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:34 PM
Tarster
Tuned
just got the datalog of my shifting issue i was having were in the seat of your pants you can feel the shift and then a dip and rise of the rpms, I started a new thread in the computers/tuning section, Maybe some of our resident experts understand the squiggles better than I

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post17274129

Old 06-22-2017, 08:01 AM
Tarster
Tuned
Took it to the ford dealer and they drove it and looked at it said it had a contaminated MAF, cleaned it and reset the computer, I noticed the same hesitation driving it home last night, I will verify when I drive it to and from work tonight.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:28 AM
Tarster
Tuned
Not sure if its related or not, But i just got done replacing the top 8 spark plugs in the pickup, non of them looked all that bad to me, but time will tell, I will be replacing the bottom 8 plugs before too long, just didnt have time last night to get to them. I did notice that my rpm drops right after shift seem to have gone away, this is the first time driving the pickup since I changed the plugs, Hopefully it will fix the issue..

I thought it was a bit odd that all of the plugs had a white tip where coil makes contact with the top of the plug. not sure if its related to the issue or not..

Plugs are layed out from the front to the rear of the motor on the respective left (passenger) and right (driver) sides from middle to the outside.

Quick Reply: Pickup won't start