6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Early morning coffee thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 02:27 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
The Escape does well for passengers when they low speed rear end someone.
How ever the body damage was really high.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:47 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Some more along the lines Jack was going: in the 90s I had a Chevy light 3/4 ton and it was up on a rack getting tires, next to it was an F150. I walked back and forth comparing my "heavy duty" Chebby and that "lighter duty" (just a half ton) Ford. EVERYTHING on that Ford was bigger, stronger, than my truck.

But still we bought a Tahoe a few years later (new). We dumped it at 25K after it lost a second rear axle seal, that wetted the brake on that corner, and with 3 brakes that piece of crap could barely stop itself!

You've probably noticed between that and my Duramax experience (I often speak of here) that GM is a foul word around our place too...

So let me get to my point: we live in the foothills of the Sierras -- lots of potholes, most folks have dirt or gravel driveways and live off streets that are the same. In my area there is probably a 5 to 1 ratio of Ford Expeditions and Explorers to ANY other SUV... I bet there is a reason for that...

You didn't need any pumping up on Ford, but I had too much coffee so had to type something...

Scott

Old 02-17-2018, 05:12 PM
Ford.Dude
More Turbo
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv
Good morning! Well, this thread has been a little decaffeinated for a while.

So, sitting here sipping a nice brew, I'm looking for a used vehicle for the wife. She likes the Explorers and Expeditions. She always loved the older Escapes. (one brand she will not look at is anything GM) We need SUV vehicle. So, with that in mind, what have you folks owned or liked.

Open to all thoughts.
Edges are awesome! We needed something bigger so it was traded for a 2013 explorer. Explorer lacks the power compared to the edge (same V6) due to the weight. The blinds spots are horrible but the mirrors and back up camera make up for it. Crazy amount of room for no bigger than it looks. Wife loves it, I love it, and a couple of our friends bought one as well. I'm pretty proud of ford for making such a practical vehicle. I find it hard for someone to actually dislike the edge or explorer.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:29 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Well one Explorer to look for would be the 2001 Limited with the V8 5.0L
The strange thing is is got way better MPGs than my 2002 Ranger V6 4.0L did.

If I were to have any thing back that I have had in the past it would be that 2001
Explorer. It was a nice ride. Full leather with SRS in the seats.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:01 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,405 Posts
And full time 4x4 if I’m not mistaken with that mileage.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:31 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Yahiko

If I were to have any thing back that I have had in the past it would be that 2001
You should ride in one that has a turbo slapped on it...!

Old 02-17-2018, 06:47 PM
Modoc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
We had a *gasp* 1999 Dodge Durango with the V8. Not a bad ride, but started going South about 200k miles. We have also had Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee, International Scout and finally a Ford Escape (2014). For our current needs, the Ford Escape is doing well. This happens to be my mom’s ride, but the wife and I are considering either another Escape or and Explorer when we replace the 2006 Superduty 5.4L. Of course, neither the Escape or my Dad’s F150 ride the same as the Superduty.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:04 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
And full time 4x4 if I’m not mistaken with that mileage.
Your correct it was full time AWD.

Originally Posted by diesel_dan
You should ride in one that has a turbo slapped on it...!
I bet. It already had a good amount of ZIP to it. Also was nice that it had rack and pinyon steering.
The ONLY sucky thing was the oil filter was right over the rack and when you removed it you oiled
the rack even with the small lip built into the oil mount to help it not drip onto the rack. A funnel was
my best friend when it came oil change time.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:08 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
i tried to work on my winch wiring install today... radar showed no rain in site.. get partway working on the install sky opens up and stayed raining despite the radar still showing nothing in the area...

Old 02-18-2018, 12:56 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
It was that new stealth rain.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:46 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
must have been... least the posi wire is in the conduit.. when i got to trying to test the wire on the truck it seemed like the inside of the frame rail would have been great.. least till i got near the engine... then it it just seemed like thered be too much rubbing on the wire to keep it safe.. outside of the frame leave it exposed.. but same time not nearly as many obstetrical to go around..

Old 02-23-2018, 07:49 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Ford AWDs have issues with the differential. $2k repair.
Escapes have issues with rear shock mount rusting out. Part is cheap, labor is not.
All GM 3.6 engines leak from the front cover. $750-$1000 repair.
All Expeditions, Taurus X/Freestyle, Navigators have Radiator Core Support rust issues.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:32 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
And how is the house going?

Old 02-24-2018, 10:39 AM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And how is the house going?
The house is basically complete and we moved into it in late August, September. I didn't get the landscaping done before fall, so I had to put up a $500 surety bond to get occupancy. This week I had to pay another $100 to extend the soil erosion permit until August. Once I can prove all the grass is growing everywhere, I'll get my $500 back.
I started a new job in May and by late July I was wondering if I made a huge mistake. My manager was micro-managing my day to day inter-personal skills even though he has admitted he hates people.
I've distanced myself from any interactions and it's been much better. We've been slammed with work and it has exposed all of management's lack of ability. Fortunately I am in the position where I can leave and not be financially strapped.
I haven't really posted much as any time that I have free, I've been trying to organize the garage so I can use it. Cold temperatures and only electric heat out there at the moment makes it difficult to really "get to work."

It's with a very heavy heart that I tell you that I had to put down my dog Chopper two days ago. He was 14 years 4 months old and had stopped eating consistently a couple weeks ago.
My parents have been watching him for the last year and a half. His death has really hit my dad hard. I left work early and went right to the vet's office and said my goodbyes. When it was over, I put Chopper in the front seat of my truck for his last ride home. It was good to caress him like old times on the way to my parents where we buried him up on the ski hill.
In his honor I carried him the whole way and gently laid him in the hole I dug.
Briar Hill Chopper is gone, but the many memories and feelings will live on for the rest of my life.

Attached Images   
Old 02-24-2018, 12:29 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Oh, Torr -- I am so sad for your loss... He lived a good long life and with lots of love -- try to remember that and the good times when you think of him...

Take care and congrats on the house...

Scott

Quick Reply: Early morning coffee thread