Michigan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Toyman

Need a place to do engine overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 06:25 PM
Kyle Wood
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a place to do engine overhaul

Hey guys i am a college student and i recently bought a performance package for my truck but dont have anywhere to install it except my back yard. Does anyone know of a location that i could rent out a bay and do my own work. like a do it yourself garage? i am really excited to do this project. i have a pretty good understanding of how to do this although ive only torn an engine apart once and if i got stuck alittle guidance would be nice. i live about an hour away from Grand Rapids. Any help of where i could tackle this project would be nice thanks guys!

Old 10-22-2016, 12:19 PM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
That's a tough one for a shop due to the insurance regulations and what not. Probably going to have to find someone with barn space or even a storage unit that would be big enough to get your truck inside. I unfortunately am pretty full in my barn for the winter.

Old 10-22-2016, 03:12 PM
Kyle Wood
Senior User
Yes thats what it seems like i wouldnt even mind paying someone to let me use there barn and have there guidance. i really want this done so my truck can perform so much better and then next step is body work and i have a place for that but they wont let me do engine work

Old 10-23-2016, 11:12 AM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 507 Likes on 171 Posts
What I did back when I was in your shoes was rented a storage unit. I made sure it had light in it so I could poach electricity. Tight for an engine swap, but plenty of room for engine building.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:20 PM
Kyle Wood
Senior User
do you think there would be enough room to pull the engine out? or would it be working in the truck itslef?

Old 10-23-2016, 05:36 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They're usually 10x20 so plenty of room to pull it and work on it. Since you mention in your new thread that your an hour away, is it safe to say you're at Ferris?

Old 10-23-2016, 08:38 PM
Kyle Wood
Senior User
Spot on im at Ferris. Ive also never pulled a motor but that is also how you learn.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:46 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
I do a lot of service work in BR. I'll ask around...

Old 10-23-2016, 09:11 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 507 Likes on 171 Posts
My brother in law went to Ferris, I'll ask him if he knows a place. This is something he would have done there...

Old 10-23-2016, 09:37 PM
Kyle Wood
Senior User
Guys if you could find a place for me that would be amazing i would deffinately owe you guys big time! i have emailed a few storage units in BR but none got back to me or for some reason they came up as in BR but were in like canada or a far away town.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:24 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Andrew (BigBee) went there too, but he did a bunch of his work right in the parking lot! Lol

Old 10-23-2016, 10:52 PM
Kyle Wood
Senior User
I dont think an engine overhaul would fly in a parking lot haha. Plus i want to be out of the elements.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:41 PM
TheBigBee
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Yep I went there. I lived at University Parke Suites and did my 8 inch lift in the parking lot. Also swapped out my manifolds for headers, swapped out radiators multiple times after going out to a few local trails and bogs. I even swapped the engine out of my mustang up there. Good times.

If you go over the bridge and head east of town like you are going to Mt Pleasant there is an Arby's out that way. Right next to it there is a Carpet cleaning place. I know the owners as I used to store my big truck there. I think they have some units that are big enough.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:30 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by TheBigBee
Yep I went there. I lived at University Parke Suites and did my 8 inch lift in the parking lot. Also swapped out my manifolds for headers, swapped out radiators multiple times after going out to a few local trails and bogs. I even swapped the engine out of my mustang up there. Good times.

If you go over the bridge and head east of town like you are going to Mt Pleasant there is an Arby's out that way. Right next to it there is a Carpet cleaning place. I know the owners as I used to store my big truck there. I think they have some units that are big enough.
Dave in maintenance must have been really happy with you Andrew. Lol. I was going to call him and see if he knew of any places.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:34 PM
TheBigBee
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lol I worked for the apartment complex in maintenance! And I did all of the networking there for the first 3 years they were open.

Quick Reply: Need a place to do engine overhaul