Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FORScan and ABS data logging

Old 10-21-2016, 09:11 AM
blkout50
Senior User
blkout50 has a good reputation on FTE.blkout50 has a good reputation on FTE.
FORScan and ABS data logging

Hey everyone!! Will FORScan data log wheel speed, yaw sensors and TCS? My truck is currently at the dealer so I can't connect my copy of FORScan to the truck to verify data logging.

The reason I ask is that my 2016 is currently at the dealer for the right front ABS intermittently activating. Since it is an intermittent problem, the dealer is having difficulty troubleshooting. We have been able to duplicate the problem, but it is intermittent with no repeatable conditions, it just does it randomly.

I found a guy on another forum with an identical problem as I have. I need to capture the wheel speed and yaw sensors and the TCS to confirm that my problem is the same. If the wheel and yaw sensor are normal and the TCS activates, the problem points to the Restraint Control Module (RCM). The yaw sensor is connected to the RCM which is why the RCM is suspect.

Thanks in advance everyone!!

Edit: fixed acronym

Old 10-28-2016, 11:39 PM
blkout50
Senior User
Hey everyone!!
FYI, for those interested, yes you can data log Wheel Speed Sensor (WSS), Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) and Traction Control System (TCS). I didn't find a Yaw Sensor PID so i could not track it.

Update: My truck is back at the dealer. Convinced dealer to connect their data logger to my truck and capture these items. I was able to capture 2 events with their data logger. Returned dealers data logger for their inspection. While waiting on dealer, I had my truck for a couple of days. Connected FORScan to my truck and set up PID's to watch which are; TCS, LF WSS, LR WSS, RF WSS, RR WSS, Ambient Air Temp (AAT), 2 different instances of Throttle Position and 2 different instances of Brake Pedal. I drove my truck to work following morning and had 2 more instances of my RF ABS activating. Checked data logging in FORScan and found 2 events of trucks TCS activation for no reason, all WSS and VSS are normal. Throttle is activated and Brake pedal disengaged.

Called dealer to speak with SA as a follow up to get the results of their data log. SA informs me that their data logger was empty. They are not sure what happened. When I returned the dealers data logger, it showed that I had recorded 2 events. Not sure what happened(?). Lucky for me, I had my FORScan Data logs. I met with dealers SA and Tech and went over my data logs. Tech agrees he now has enough information to pass on to Ford Engineering. Tech agrees that the RCM is suspect due to possible defective Yaw sensor.

Now it is the waiting game...

In closing, FORScan is a GREAT tool!! If any one is interested I can post screen shots of the data I have that shows TSC spikes, WSS and VSS normal conditions. FORScan also exported the data a as comma delimited file, which is also helpful.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:57 PM
Dakster
Post Fiend
Dakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputation
Please post away... I'm interested... Occasionally I have hill START assist activating when it shouldn't.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:02 AM
MPD56
Elder User
MPD56 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks for the information.

Is there an actual Yaw sensor and where is it, or does the module do the math from two wheel speed sensors?

Old 10-29-2016, 12:04 AM
blkout50
Senior User
Name:  F350%20Data%20log%20pic_zps9zax7xwi.jpg
Views: 3316
Size:  185.1 KB

Old 10-29-2016, 12:08 AM
blkout50
Senior User
Dakster,

Starting at the top;
TCS (notice spikes of TCS turning on)
LF WSS (normal)
LR WSS (normal)
RF WSS (normal)
RR WSS (normal)
VSS (normal)
AAT
TPS1
TPS2
Brake Pedal1 (off)
Brake Pedal2 (off)
edit: forgot to include VSS

Old 10-29-2016, 12:12 AM
blkout50
Senior User
Originally Posted by MPD56 View Post
Thanks for the information.

Is there an actual Yaw sensor and where is it, or does the module do the math from two wheel speed sensors?
My understanding is that the Yaw Sensor is inside the Restraint Control Module (RCM). I don't know that for a fact, just what I have been told.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:21 AM
blkout50
Senior User
Name:  F350%20Data%20spreadsheet%20pic_zpsq3zcwcwo.jpg
Views: 3345
Size:  158.3 KB

Here is the data of just the TCS event (I sorted to the top for easy reference). Both TCS activations last about second or so... The first TCS event starts about 10.4 minutes into my commute and the other one about 13.2 minutes.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:31 AM
Dakster
Post Fiend
Dakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputation
Thanks for posting it and going through this. Not only will that help you, it could also help others.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:31 PM
carlhwv
Senior User
carlhwv has a very good reputation on FTE.carlhwv has a very good reputation on FTE.carlhwv has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by blkout50 View Post
Hey everyone!!
FYI, for those interested, yes you can data log Wheel Speed Sensor (WSS), Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) and Traction Control System (TCS). I didn't find a Yaw Sensor PID so i could not track it.

Update: My truck is back at the dealer. Convinced dealer to connect their data logger to my truck and capture these items. I was able to capture 2 events with their data logger. Returned dealers data logger for their inspection. While waiting on dealer, I had my truck for a couple of days. Connected FORScan to my truck and set up PID's to watch which are; TCS, LF WSS, LR WSS, RF WSS, RR WSS, Ambient Air Temp (AAT), 2 different instances of Throttle Position and 2 different instances of Brake Pedal. I drove my truck to work following morning and had 2 more instances of my RF ABS activating. Checked data logging in FORScan and found 2 events of trucks TCS activation for no reason, all WSS and VSS are normal. Throttle is activated and Brake pedal disengaged.

Called dealer to speak with SA as a follow up to get the results of their data log. SA informs me that their data logger was empty. They are not sure what happened. When I returned the dealers data logger, it showed that I had recorded 2 events. Not sure what happened(?). Lucky for me, I had my FORScan Data logs. I met with dealers SA and Tech and went over my data logs. Tech agrees he now has enough information to pass on to Ford Engineering. Tech agrees that the RCM is suspect due to possible defective Yaw sensor.

Now it is the waiting game...

In closing, FORScan is a GREAT tool!! If any one is interested I can post screen shots of the data I have that shows TSC spikes, WSS and VSS normal conditions. FORScan also exported the data a as comma delimited file, which is also helpful.
Do you know which module maintains tire pressure senor information?

Old 11-02-2016, 08:46 PM
MPD56
Elder User
MPD56 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I believe that the TPMS module stores the Tire Sensor ID information and the BCM keeps the pressure set point information.

The TPMS module has 10 slots that the programming stores the SN of each pressure sensor. Example Slot #1 is the front left tire. I've been hoping to put sensors in my trialer tires but haven't got there yet( I hear that this can be done on the 2017 model year). Using Torque Pro I setup a display for each tire, this is how I know what tire is having a problem.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:53 PM
carlhwv
Senior User
carlhwv has a very good reputation on FTE.carlhwv has a very good reputation on FTE.carlhwv has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by MPD56 View Post
I believe that the TPMS module stores the Tire Sensor ID information and the BCM keeps the pressure set point information.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll take a look tomorrow and verify.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:33 AM
monsterx7
New User
monsterx7 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Solved?

I saw this thread and was wondering if the issue was ever resolved?

(What I did) I don't have a Ford truck but do have a Ford Edge. I also had an issue where the Traction Control Light was coming on randomly. I replaced the Stability Control Cluster (YAW rate sensor) and the symptoms did not change. I then dug into the wiring diagrams to see what was involved (not a whole lot). ABS Module, Stability Control Sensor, Steering Wheel Angle Sensor, and the PCM. After looking at the diagrams I decided to start checking connectors and inspecting wires.

(Result) I found that the ground wire for the Stability Control Cluster (YAW Rate Sensor) was loose and causing the signal going to the ABS Module to be intermittent.

Not sure what your wires are going to be but here are mine in case they cross reference:

Black/Green - Ground
Yellow/Grey - Power (12v)
Green/Orange - HS CAN2+ (data)
Blue/White - HS CAN2- (data)

Old 08-31-2017, 08:52 AM
blkout50
Senior User
Originally Posted by monsterx7 View Post
I saw this thread and was wondering if the issue was ever resolved?

(What I did) I don't have a Ford truck but do have a Ford Edge. I also had an issue where the Traction Control Light was coming on randomly. I replaced the Stability Control Cluster (YAW rate sensor) and the symptoms did not change. I then dug into the wiring diagrams to see what was involved (not a whole lot). ABS Module, Stability Control Sensor, Steering Wheel Angle Sensor, and the PCM. After looking at the diagrams I decided to start checking connectors and inspecting wires.

(Result) I found that the ground wire for the Stability Control Cluster (YAW Rate Sensor) was loose and causing the signal going to the ABS Module to be intermittent.

Not sure what your wires are going to be but here are mine in case they cross reference:

Black/Green - Ground
Yellow/Grey - Power (12v)
Green/Orange - HS CAN2+ (data)
Blue/White - HS CAN2- (data)
Yes, problem was solved!

Truck had only 4K miles when the traction control issue started and under warranty. Ford Engineering (FE) instructed my dealer to replace the Restraint Control Module (RCM). I don't know this for a fact, but I was told that the Yaw Sensor is in the RCM and that is why it was suspected of being bad. Replacing the RCM did not solve the problem. Next, FE instructed dealer to check and replace Steering Rotation Sensor (SRC). The SRC fixed my traction control issues!

hth