E40D Manual, performed perfectly until....

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 04:37 PM
JUSTINA HEIM
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy E40D Manual, performed perfectly until....

Hello boys!
Here is one I bet nobody has posted here before. I have a love/hate relationship w/ my 94 F150 XL. She sat for 2yrs when I saved her from a date w/the junk yard. She is my money pit! Though I've learned a lot about engine repair on the fly, because of the countless times I've sat on the side of the road w/her. OK, so my clutch and manual tranny worked perfectly until a week ago. She will go into every gear except first, but slips in 2-5 or OD from what I've learned. Reverse seems to be fine.
Now wait. Here is the odd part of my problem, my ex has anger issues and I should know better than to **** him off while in my truck (broke door, broken rearview mirror, broken back window, see a theme here? ( Pissed him off a lot apparently) So,, this time, from passenger seat, he kicked the shifter to the left, many many times. My truck hates him enough that the b**** still worked (Ha!) For about 4 days without issue. Went into all gears but now seemed the gears were not in your standard vertical pattern, but are angled slightly towards the left. 1st was the first to go. Unable to access at all. Then the next day 2/3/4/5 started slipping. High rpm and she inched along. Now 2nd and reverse are thr only gears she'll move for but for all intents and purposes, no way can she be driven, would get a ticket for pedestrians passing me!
Need to know what to take apart and look in to. No I do not have money for repair shop. Oh 4.9L straight 6. Help! Thank you for reading.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:40 AM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
I would check out the shifter and its bushings first, as those took the brunt of abuse. Next would be the shift forks. Apparently the tops can come off pretty easily and the related parts can be readily replaced:

1994 manual shifting problems - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

This is probably a good thing to do due to the age of the transmission, even if it doesn't fix the problem.

I hope you are completely out of your previous relation, as no one should have to put up with an abusive partner.