1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasoline fuel tank options

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 03:38 PM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Gasoline fuel tank options

I've been searching on-line and on the forum and while I have seen a lot of options for diesel there isn't much in the way of gas.

Does anyone know of a to add more fuel storage on a gasoline engine?

Would a diesel aftermarket tank work? Even if not approved. All the fuel lines and electrical pass through the bung on a gas tank correct? Does diesel use same bung thus the tanks being similar?

Old 10-12-2016, 06:55 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
I have a few diesel transfer pumps and they specifically say not for use with gasoline so this is probally a case by case basis. Diesel has a different flash point than gasoline so a lot of diesel pumps are not rated for gasoline.

you might want to check into seeing what ford tank options exist and buying an upsized tank. My current truck has a stock under bed 40gal tank.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:55 PM
salomon
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 10-13-2016, 11:51 AM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Transferflow only list diesel tanks. For gas they only sell refueling tanks for f250SD

Old 10-13-2016, 12:51 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
A lot of ppl in FTE like Titan tanks to replace the OEM.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:14 PM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Originally Posted by ssunit1
A lot of ppl in FTE like Titan tanks to replace the OEM.
Again another company that only sells diesel tanks unless it's a transfer tank. That's why I am asking about the design of the diesel tank. Titan and transferflow only sell larger diesel tanks unless it's a transfer which means I would have to stop and pump the gas by hand.

Titan sell a plastic 51 gal tank for for the short bed that looks a lot like the gas tank but is only listed for diesel. Legal reasons I assume. The tank in my truck right now is plastic. If it is made the same and the bung is the same then it should work right?

If there is a stock ford one that has a larger capacity does anyone know the part number or what year they were in? This is for my 99 extended cab with 6.5 bed

Old 10-13-2016, 02:01 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
I do remember seeing a lot of diesel aux tanks with different transfer options, pump it or gravity feed.
I think you're right on both counts that the titan tank would probably work but for legal reason the company says only use diesel so I would be hesitant of putting gas in there.
Good luck and let us all know if you find a tank that works.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:12 PM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
I would probably try it but I'm still trying to get an answer on the design. $1300.00 is a lot to put down without some research into design. Both tanks are made of polycarbonate.

Is the Bung the same size and place? Diesel doesn't have in tank pump so does it have the same bung size since the gas has to be large enough for the pump.

Is the filler hose the same size? Looking at the images the only openings I see on the diesel tank are the bung and filler tube connection.

And the final question is if the bungs are the same size does all the lines for gas (supply, return, and vapor) pass through the bung? I can't see the top of my tank without lifting the bed

Old 10-13-2016, 02:57 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
You could use an Excursion gasoline tank. They sit between rear axle and bumper and hold 40 gallons or so. It would mean relocating the original truck spare tire somewhere else, but you will be losing bed space by putting a fuel tank in there anyway. You will also need to rig another filler neck and switch mechanism.
Also you are looking at losing at least 300-400 pounds off trailer pin weight hauling capability that the fuel + tank assembly will weigh.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:05 PM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Ya I thought about that. they also make a tank that goes there. What I'm looking to do is replace my stock tank with a 51 gal tank.

I'm searching the forum for gas to diesel conversions hoping to find some pictures that show the tanks

Old 10-13-2016, 03:22 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
I want a 50+ gallon tank as well. I talked to this place, Boyd Welding LLC ? Custom Aluminum Diesel Fuel and Gas Tanks, but it required too much work on my part. I just wanted something that fit w/o any effort.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:32 PM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Originally Posted by xr7gt390
I want a 50+ gallon tank as well. I talked to this place, Boyd Welding LLC ? Custom Aluminum Diesel Fuel and Gas Tanks, but it required too much work on my part. I just wanted something that fit w/o any effort.
That's what I'm after. as little work on my part as possible. The Titan tank is the same material (Polycarbon) and if the bung and everything else is a match then it should be just a swap.

Might have some minor fuel gauge range issues. On my 99 I don't have the lie-o-meter for miles left so I think it will just stay full longer and may read empty when I still have fuel. If it is deeper I may have to modify the intake tube or pump to reach the bottom.

Old 10-13-2016, 04:04 PM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Thanks to BigBee
He did the 5.4 to 7.3 swap. did a nice write up on it. He used the original gasoline tank for diesel.

He says the sending unit for diesel has same footprint as gas just minus the fuel pump.

I'll do a write up on this once I do it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to have 51 gallon fuel tank

Old 10-13-2016, 08:23 PM
ligito
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Call these guys and see if they can do it.

sunsetmetalfab.net - Fuel Tanks

Old 10-13-2016, 08:45 PM
CPaulsen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wonder when Transfer Flow quit making gas tanks.......I know they did because we used to install a lot of them.

Quick Reply: Gasoline fuel tank options