1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust Coaters - Two Thumbs Up

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 01:57 PM
chief1600
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust Coaters - Two Thumbs Up

First off, I'm posting here because I've read quite a few posts in this forum about guys trying to eliminate/slow down the inevitability of rust. Well, I believe I've found the answer - Rust Coaters

They are right in my back yard. I called them up and Tom, owner and only employee, hooked me right up. Below is the review I wrote for him after he completed the rust proofing of my truck:

***I purchased a used 2001 F250 Crew Cab Lariat with only 54K miles. The body of the truck is in near perfect shape but the frame and most of the components on the underside were covered in flaking rust. For the past 13 years the previous owner had only used it twice a year to pull his camper to and from his campsite, resulting in the truck not seeing a snowflake or salt since 2003. I knew that as soon as the body and frame were introduced to salt after that long, it would spread like wildfire. I started researching what I could do and ran across Rust Coaters. I called Tom to set up a time to look at the underside of my truck. When I arrived, Tom put the truck on the lift to look things over. He took the time to show me what he would do and how he would do it. I set up the appointment without hesitation. Now that it’s done I’m even more amazed. His attention to detail is incredible. He descaled and cleaned the entire chassis, removing as much rust as humanly possible. Areas that shouldn’t be treated were taped off and covered while everything else was coated. All totaled he used almost 7 gallons of his product on my truck. He used special tools to get inside the doors, box sides, tailgate and hood. When I arrived to pick the truck up Tom showed and explained to my wife and I everything he’d done. He even ran off an extra quart of the product that I could apply if needed. Tom is a great guy with uncanny attention to detail.

I know that I have now done everything possible to help prevent rust on my truck and am sure that with the help of Rust Coaters, it’ll be on the road for years to come.

It was an exceptional experience with extraordinary service and an outcome that is simply fantastic!!***

I'm telling you, it's a wonderful investment. Rust Coaters - Eau Claire WI Rust Proofing & Undercoating Center

Moderators: If this post should be somewhere else, please move. I just wanted to get the word out.

Attached Images           
Old 10-07-2016, 02:18 PM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts
Looks like a fairly good system. Still good idea to rinse out 2-3 times per year the places where dirt gets stuck like inside the fenders, bumpers, frame rails, etc.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:19 PM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Looks good. I will tell you right off the bat he is much more thorough than I am when I do my yearly coating with Fluid Film. Of course I live in South Texas and only travel up to snow country a few weeks out of the year.

What coating does he use? Maybe I missed it on the website.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:28 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I would like to see a report after 3 years.

my last car.. coated when new... a full re-due. (different company) at the 3 year mark..

done again at the 6 year mark (second company ) always got the Check each and every year... at the 12 year mark.. most of the body was bad or gone.

I have found if the US Navy does not support it, or use it.. it Don't Work....

Old 10-07-2016, 04:59 PM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
I would like to see a report after 3 years.

my last car.. coated when new... a full re-due. (different company) at the 3 year mark..

done again at the 6 year mark (second company ) always got the Check each and every year... at the 12 year mark.. most of the body was bad or gone.

I have found if the US Navy does not support it, or use it.. it Don't Work....
Might have been a flaw in your car's paint job. I bought a new Ranger in '96 that I sold two years ago. It's still going with it's new owner after 20 rust belt winters and 230k miles. I spray oiled underneath and WD40'd the door, hood, and tailgate seams. Zip, zero body rust with the exception of a smidge on bottom of right door and initial rust on fender edges that can be seen if your head is between tire and fender. Underside has surface frame rust and seam rust.

My problem was years of salt was getting to emissions stuff and also exhaust, cat converters and such. So in the end, the truck will still lose to road salt.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:14 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
it rusted from the inside out...

LAKE ERIE salt.. roads. winter.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:50 PM
chief1600
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 89LX306
What coating does he use? Maybe I missed it on the website.
The product he used I THINK he referred to as amber grease. That's probably not be the actual name of it.

It's amazing how thorough he is. It was less than $1000 for everything out the door. Had my truck for 3 full days.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:18 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 978 Likes on 753 Posts
I've tried most of popular rust prevent ideas to include undercoating, fluid film, salt away, bar and chain oil, grease mixed with zinc, etc.

for the under chasis, so far, the best results surprisingly was with used diesel engine oil. the soot and the diesel fuel in the oil probably is the secret ingredient. I apply it with a fluid film spray gun kit. Doesnt drip that much, but the vapors are something to avoid. I set a 2ft fan up to blow fress air into the space I am working in.

for the doors, I still use fluid film only becuase I do not want to make my cab smell like motor oil