North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

summer project

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 09:56 PM
axidjw
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
summer project

hey guys, back from my summer vacancy. between work and side vehicle project i wasnt planning on, i have been pretty busy
So background story was, i went and looked at this vehiclke out of curiosity more than anything else, wasnt even going to purchase it. I had never seen anything like this before. It was located semi locally, deep up on a mountain and i mean way deep, the property looked to be generations old, typical old early 1900's farmhouse with kids playing banjos on the front porch, i ***** you not, even i was like..oh..oh
Pulled up in the truck, tucked away my security (just in case) and walked up. The family was super nice and mike the owner loved the old ford and took about 30 minutes jsut talking about it and mini resto and what all i did to her and my love for the truck
Went out to an out building, in name only, it was outside and somewhat resembled a building put together with old plat 1X4X8, it was open on both ends and this vehicle was under the tarp. Apparently it been sitting there 99% of the time for the last 15 years or so.
I saw it and feel in love with it, even it being under 3" of green and black moldy exterior and missing half the glass and critters and garbage filling the inside but toi my surprise, he put the key in, pumped the gas twice and the old v8 fired right up and was purring, i almost fell over and couldnt believe it.
He took it off the jack stands and put it in reverse and pulled it right out. The tires had a dab of dry rot but was driveable. The guy was wanting 2k but i told him i would bring this beauty back to lofe and he let it go for me for $700 (it was bare minimum he said he could part with her). He isd ther one and only owner since 1969.
I trailored over to my buddies house, he has a professional spray washing system and i went and got some acid wash and it took me 3 days to get all the mold and crud off but ill be damned, there was a jewel under the grime. Almost no rust, floor pans are solid with just a dab of under body surface rust.
So far in the last 3 months i have sorted:
Brakes- replace ms and two brake lines, replace all drums brakes with new everything
PS- pump was bleeding like a stuffed pig
Steering - knuckle joint was wasted and had to have one fabbed up
engine- multiple oil leaks. Took entire top half off, down to heads. Replaced with new gaskets.
Dumped all fluids and put new everything including plugs, wire, dist cap and points
Rebuilt the 2 barrel carb, it was idling really rough and getting massive amounts of back fire
Sorted all the electrical wiring out. All gauges, bulbs and shorts have been taken care of. PO thankfully didn't try to "home made fix" anything, he just let them go, which is actually better than trying to refix a po fix..lol
Acid washed and sanded interior and got my upholstry lady to do some new seats and fabric.
Replaced 3 pieces of glass
A million other little things including tires but she now runs really well, has good power, stops and steers pretty good.
Sorry for the long post but bob was wanting to know what i have been working on so here she is::
1969 international travelall
345 v8 with 2bbl
ps, pb and factory air(all though motor works its not blowing through vents but thats still on the to do as it has a weird sealed ac system)
The pictures were from last weekend after yet another good scrubbing and cleaning and her maiden voyage around the property and back roads at my buddys farm. I will be bringing home to roost here in the next couple weekends so ic an start working on the small million things. Wanted her to be truly road worthy first.

Attached Images         
Old 10-03-2016, 10:06 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
John that is BEAUTIFUL!
I'll give you back your $700 right now, and not even ask the CFO, Chief Financial Officer/wife.
Good post brother

Old 10-03-2016, 10:12 PM
axidjw
Elder User
Originally Posted by ubereal2
John that is BEAUTIFUL!
I'll give you back your $700 right now, and not even ask the CFO, Chief Financial Officer/wife.
Good post brother
lol..yea, i couldn't believe it myself. Hauled *** to my bank(which was almost 45 minutes away down a mountain) i was screaming lucille around gravel roads and told the guy under no circumstances to sell it..haha
i figured, 700 clams for something so unique, why the hell not. The engine wasnt seized and it moved under its own power and rust was 1/8th of what the truck was when i got her.
The only downsides are, after market is non existant and even oem parts are stupid rare to come by so lots of things need to be fabricated or pay an arm and a leg for a part. Forums for this vehicle are sparce and even sparcer technical stuff but its all just nuts and bolts..lol
Wanted to post over here instead of the main forums, jsut in case i ruffled some feathers for a non ford posting.
Will keep you guys up to date with pics and little updates.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:19 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
You won't have any problems posting about your new toy. I'm sure finding parts for that beast could be a chore.
Keep the pictures coming, and remember

Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2016, 07:42 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Am international Travellall, I've seen pictures before, but never ran across one that I remember. Most people on this site are pretty cool about non ford stuff, and that, well, that's worth an exception to any rule. I'll be pushing for an Asheville dinner soon, so I can see that beauty up close. Nice work, and the interior is beautiful.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:56 AM
axidjw
Elder User
Originally Posted by Benztechnc
Am international Travellall, I've seen pictures before, but never ran across one that I remember. Most people on this site are pretty cool about non ford stuff, and that, well, that's worth an exception to any rule. I'll be pushing for an Asheville dinner soon, so I can see that beauty up close. Nice work, and the interior is beautiful.
Absolutely, if your over this way, just let me know
I had never seen one before and saw it in the local iwanta paper. Hell, i thought international just made big 18 wheeler vehicles and overland farm equipment..lol i had no idea that they made all these types of vehicles back in the day.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:59 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Mornen John!
Imternational made a few light duty pick ups, and a Scout that was a close cousin the the early Bronco.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:09 AM
axidjw
Elder User
Originally Posted by ubereal2
Mornen John!
Imternational made a few light duty pick ups, and a Scout that was a close cousin the the early Bronco.
i have been educating myself on her and international over the last couple months and didn't realize how pretty rare these travelall wagons are these days and the scouts are great. Parts are a little steep on price for these vehicles though..

Old 10-04-2016, 08:11 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
You made a good find. I honestly can't say I've ever, physically seen one. And the more rare, the higher the parts.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:15 AM
axidjw
Elder User
haha..you should have seen the guy at advanced auto parts when i asked if he had a chiltons for a 69 IH travelall..he just looked at me and laughed for like 30 seconds..haha
good thing is that the technology is basic, mechanical connections and late 60's early 70 technology so its not rocket science. The little that i have driven it on the roads, its def a neck snapper. People look at me like im driving alien technology down the road..lol

Old 10-04-2016, 08:23 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Yeah, I'm sure that beast is a real head turner.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:44 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet Ride! Congrats on the nice find. I love the ole' International's. Used to see them all of the time. Not so much anymore.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:30 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I saw an international 4 door pickup a while back, over towards Benson area. I think they were called a Travelette from what I can find. I've been wanting one ever since. They were way ahead of their time.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:30 PM
ncheavymetal
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's awesome. My uncle had a few scouts over the years. His issues were that the bodies fell apart around the engine and chassis. They were lots of fun in the woods and on the beaches.

Cool find and thanks for sharing.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:57 AM
kwe45919
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will gladly pay you Tuesday for you to deliver it to my house Today.

How do people get this lucky.

Seriously, you're a lucky sumbodies baby for sure!!!