2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Test drove a dually last weekend...impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 10:17 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 535 Likes on 259 Posts
Test drove a dually last weekend...impressions

So, I was able to drive a 2017 dually last weekend. Coincidentally, it was the one I ordered a long time ago but did not come in on time, which resulted in me buying a 2016...so this 2017 was "exactly" as I would want it.

Steering: The steering is considerably heavier than in my 2016. The dually did not have the adaptive steering feature. However, the steering feel is pretty positive at speed.

Sunroof: I was so concerned I would not fit in a 2017 with adequate headroom if the sunroof was ordered. However, this truck has the panoramic moonroof. Even with the shade closed and the seat raised up, my 6'5" 260lb self fit in without issues.

Driving position: Not as good as the 2016, in my opinion. The seat is mounted lower to the floor, but raised up my knees are level and not pointed up. However, the angle of the pedals seems to be different and can be tiring after driving a little while.

Seat comfort: Once again, not as good as the 2016. My 2016 is a King Ranch and this truck is a Lariat Ultimate, but these seats feel not as wide and not as padded. They are still quite comfortable, and I think most will be quite satisfied.

Roominess: The inside of the cab doesn't feel quite as tall from floor to ceiling (it's actually not) but man is there legroom. The rear seating area is limo-like and a vast improvement on the 2016.

Ergonomics: The headlight switch is a big step back...but set in auto and forget. The 4x4 switch is tapered and slippery...not as good. There are stand-alone heating and cooling buttons for the front (and rear) seats...massive improvement over the touchscreen-only 2016 style. Steering wheel is larger and has a much more padded feel. The armrests have more padding then even the leather King Ranch armrests. Controls are pretty good. Nav screen is positioned lower than old screen, which is probably a small step backwards.

Interior appearance and quality: Definitely a step forward. The dash looks much more modern. The dash top is partially padded. The door panels look much richer and the plastics all around for the most part are a nicer quality. Lariats, King Ranches, and Platinums of this generation all have the same "amount" of wood trim...but the quality varies. My 2016 King Ranch has physically more wood trim. Overall, the new interior is nicer. The 8" display between the instrument is beautiful, and the new analog gauges are larger and nicer.

Engine: The new engine has a slightly different tone, especially right off idle during initial acceleration. I like it. I've heard various rumors of the PCM limiting power during the first 1000 miles, but I didn't step down hard. This truck had 4 miles on it. Because I knew this truck would be used for a lot of commuting as well as pulling, I selected 3.55 gears instead of 4.10's. Probably 4.10's would pull harder. The new truck certainly did not feel any slower than the old truck.

Trans: the shifts felt more positive, but it was hard to get a real good feel. I don't have complaints about the 2016 trans, either.

Brakes: Much better pedal feel. Less spongy.

Ride: Can't tell, was on mostly smooth roads.

Lighting: Cannot begin to tell you how impressive this truck looks when every single exterior light is LED. However, it was not dark so even though I ran the lights, I have no idea if they are much better.

So overall, I loved it. Dealer manager is great; he is going to 'send me the numbers' on what my 1-month old King Ranch is worth in case I wanted my order after all.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:36 PM
NStorm
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
So, I was able to drive a 2017 dually last weekend. Coincidentally, it was the one I ordered a long time ago but did not come in on time, which resulted in me buying a 2016...so this 2017 was "exactly" as I would want it. Steering: The steering is considerably heavier than in my 2016. The dually did not have the adaptive steering feature. However, the steering feel is pretty positive at speed. Sunroof: I was so concerned I would not fit in a 2017 with adequate headroom if the sunroof was ordered. However, this truck has the panoramic moonroof. Even with the shade closed and the seat raised up, my 6'5" 260lb self fit in without issues. Driving position: Not as good as the 2016, in my opinion. The seat is mounted lower to the floor, but raised up my knees are level and not pointed up. However, the angle of the pedals seems to be different and can be tiring after driving a little while. Seat comfort: Once again, not as good as the 2016. My 2016 is a King Ranch and this truck is a Lariat Ultimate, but these seats feel not as wide and not as padded. They are still quite comfortable, and I think most will be quite satisfied. Roominess: The inside of the cab doesn't feel quite as tall from floor to ceiling (it's actually not) but man is there legroom. The rear seating area is limo-like and a vast improvement on the 2016. Ergonomics: The headlight switch is a big step back...but set in auto and forget. The 4x4 switch is tapered and slippery...not as good. There are stand-alone heating and cooling buttons for the front (and rear) seats...massive improvement over the touchscreen-only 2016 style. Steering wheel is larger and has a much more padded feel. The armrests have more padding then even the leather King Ranch armrests. Controls are pretty good. Nav screen is positioned lower than old screen, which is probably a small step backwards. Interior appearance and quality: Definitely a step forward. The dash looks much more modern. The dash top is partially padded. The door panels look much richer and the plastics all around for the most part are a nicer quality. Lariats, King Ranches, and Platinums of this generation all have the same "amount" of wood trim...but the quality varies. My 2016 King Ranch has physically more wood trim. Overall, the new interior is nicer. The 8" display between the instrument is beautiful, and the new analog gauges are larger and nicer. Engine: The new engine has a slightly different tone, especially right off idle during initial acceleration. I like it. I've heard various rumors of the PCM limiting power during the first 1000 miles, but I didn't step down hard. This truck had 4 miles on it. Because I knew this truck would be used for a lot of commuting as well as pulling, I selected 3.55 gears instead of 4.10's. Probably 4.10's would pull harder. The new truck certainly did not feel any slower than the old truck. Trans: the shifts felt more positive, but it was hard to get a real good feel. I don't have complaints about the 2016 trans, either. Brakes: Much better pedal feel. Less spongy. Ride: Can't tell, was on mostly smooth roads. Lighting: Cannot begin to tell you how impressive this truck looks when every single exterior light is LED. However, it was not dark so even though I ran the lights, I have no idea if they are much better. So overall, I loved it. Dealer manager is great; he is going to 'send me the numbers' on what my 1-month old King Ranch is worth in case I wanted my order after all.
Great write up and appreciate your impressions.

The $64k question, if the "numbers" work...would you dive in...AND, how hard do they need to work? LOL

Old 10-03-2016, 04:15 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So overall, I loved it. Dealer manager is great; he is going to 'send me the numbers' on what my 1-month old King Ranch is worth in case I wanted my order after all.
They owe it to you after screwing up your order, or at least a deal you can't refuse!!!

Old 10-03-2016, 04:30 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by NStorm
Great write up and appreciate your impressions.

The $64k question, if the "numbers" work...would you dive in...AND, how hard do they need to work? LOL
Thanks. If the numbers work, I think I will do it. They need to work reasonably well. I'm not going to throw $10k away in a month. The King Ranch truck feels more special than the Lariat Ultimate. It's just not quite what I wanted. Don't worry, I'll post the outcome in a few days.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:31 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Rasalas
...at least a deal you can't refuse!!!
This is what I'm hoping for! Thanks.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:58 PM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice write up on the '17. Question....is the '16 you ended up with the one in your pic...a SRW? I'm guessing yes..... Just curious why you ordered the dually but went with a SRW KR 2016 instead of a 2016 Dually.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:40 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Yeah, it's the one in the pic. I got it because it would work and it was on the dealer lot. I do not absolutely need a Dually, just trying to future proof plus I wanted one.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:57 PM
Azuretruck
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep us posted as to how it turns out.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:23 PM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep...I hear ya. I've been following your plight but forgot you were originally going with the dually. I believe you're the second or third on here that has seen their original order finally come in and get to look at the truck they passed on. Good luck with your choice. One positive is the sooner you trade...the more you'll get on the '16.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:25 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Kenv
Yep...I hear ya. I've been following your plight but forgot you were originally going with the dually. I believe your the second or third on here that has seen their original order finally come in and get to look at the truck they passed on. Good luck with your choice. One positive is the sooner you trade...the more you'll get on the '16.
I'll know today or tomorrow. Thanks for the input. Lesson learned for the future is never trade early for a vehicle that has not arrived.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:32 AM
NStorm
Posting Guru
Thanks. If the numbers work, I think I will do it. They need to work reasonably well. I'm not going to throw $10k away in a month. The King Ranch truck feels more special than the Lariat Ultimate. It's just not quite what I wanted. Don't worry, I'll post the outcome in a few days.
Looking forward to your verdict, good
luck!

Old 10-04-2016, 09:54 AM
invstr55
Senior User
Having what you wanted rather than what you settled for has a lot to say for it and cannot be priced by anything but your satisfaction. It is not always the best financial deal that results in being satisfied in the years to come...

Old 10-04-2016, 10:25 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by invstr55
Having what you wanted rather than what you settled for has a lot to say for it and cannot be priced by anything but your satisfaction. It is not always the best financial deal that results in being satisfied in the years to come...
It's funny - the King Ranch I bought because I needed a truck has every possible option except chrome package (which nets the lit running boards) and it is the nicest truck I've ever owned, if not the nicest vehicle. Yet, familiarity breeds contempt. This is the 4th 2011-2016 Super Duty I've had. So I want the new truck. However, I'm not rich with endless money to throw away. I realize if I trade, it will be very expensive to have owned the King Ranch for 1 month or so. "Book" value on the King Ranch is within $3k of what I paid for it - I'm willing to make that deal. On the last truck I traded back in August, the dealer gave me more than what book value said (although it seemed low on that truck and high on this King Ranch). Additionally, the 2017 does not give as sweet a deal by any means, because it looks like it will be the x-plan price and maybe an extra grand off as incentive...as opposed to the $10k off list I got on the KR truck. I spoke with the dealer this morning and he promises the numbers by 2PM this afternoon. It will be a quick decision for me - I'll either say we're too far apart, or yes, and please start the credit app over the phone and pick up the new truck tonight or tomorrow.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:23 AM
PA.GRIZZLY
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Old 10-04-2016, 01:47 PM
invstr55
Senior User
The KR is a really nice truck..

Quick Reply: Test drove a dually last weekend...impressions