1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'53 Ford Revival

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 08:04 AM
Effies 56
More Turbo
Received 117 Likes on 48 Posts
Shawn,
That old charger would be the best one to use for parts cleaning using electrolysis.Yes a big plastic stock tank might work good. It is a project getting one of these tanks set up but they can do a lot of cleaning for you too. The new chargers are sometimes too smart and shut off all the time.
Thanks for posting. Lots of moves ahead of you, hang in there!
Regards,
Chris

Old 12-07-2018, 08:21 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
A deep kiddy wading pool works great. I've de rusted tractor rims and other sizable items. I've picked up battery chargers at garage sales for $2-$5. I believe I now have two chargers and a maintainer.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:30 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
Shawn... you certainly have your work cut out for you... mine wasn't quite so bad and having a good friend who is a commercial painter with heavy duty sand blast equipment is a plus... You're doing it the right way... one bite at a time.. don't get too many pieces started and not finished. It will overwhelm you. good luck and keep at it.. and add my welcome to FTE.

john

Old 12-07-2018, 08:43 AM
Effies 56
More Turbo
Shawn,
We are all different on how we attack this kind of project. One of the biggest things is to take and save/store pictures as you go. At least that works for me. I try to clean some of the stuff as I move along as too. The number of parts can be overwhelming. Sandblasting that frame looks like it would be a good option and save you a bunch of dirt in the eyes! Glad to hear you have your son involved too!
I currently have a off topic (farm) tractor project apart, and its going to be a year before I can get the time and the funds to get it back together.
Your doing good!
Regards,
Chris

Old 12-31-2018, 09:19 PM
SierraPapa
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally got the engine out and getting the frame cleaned up to coat. Holidays have slowed down progress for sure, but still moving.

Did manage to pick up a 69 f100 for parts, but it appears my son has decided that it is his project. So helping him get that one running, waiting for a carb kit to come in so we can put the carb back together and see if it will kick over.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and has a happy new year.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:50 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
That looks to nice to be a parts truck. Your son is right. And, not that it matters, but that is not a 69 bed.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:46 AM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
The best of luck with your restoration. When I did mine, I bought a 90# media blaster. could not have done the project with out it. My truck is one of the big ones. I will be following your build

Old 01-02-2019, 09:48 AM
SierraPapa
Junior User
Originally Posted by abe
That looks to nice to be a parts truck. Your son is right. And, not that it matters, but that is not a 69 bed.
Abe you are correct, that is a 80 bed on the truck, we might have to hit some salvage yards and see if we can get a different bed for it, it needs a hood and around the drip rail is rusted through. He's taken a good interest in that truck so for now I will let him work on that one, hopefully when the carb gets back together it will run and he can have fun with it.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:00 AM
SierraPapa
Junior User
Originally Posted by JimG1098
The best of luck with your restoration. When I did mine, I bought a 90# media blaster. could not have done the project with out it. My truck is one of the big ones. I will be following your build
Yes wanting to get a blast cabinet and blaster next, wire wheel works, just noisy and slow. Almost have the front frame completely wire wheeled, just got some nooks and small areas to get into with the small ones and some wire brushes. Few more bolts that seemed to have nothing, just in the frame, think one was the frame ground.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:04 AM
SierraPapa
Junior User
Anyone have any tips/tricks to getting the leaf spring shackles out? Already smashed my thumb trying a punch and hammer, might try the air hammer next, just don't want to mushroom the end and really be in a tough spot.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:10 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
The pins are pretty hard. An air hammer shouldn’t phase them. They may be badly worn and not lining up to push out. You might try to put the wheels slightly on the ground and try to align the spring to the shackle. You did take the pins out that hold the pins in didn’t you.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:39 AM
SierraPapa
Junior User
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
The pins are pretty hard. An air hammer shouldn’t phase them. They may be badly worn and not lining up to push out. You might try to put the wheels slightly on the ground and try to align the spring to the shackle. You did take the pins out that hold the pins in didn’t you.
Thanks for the info BJ, yes I have removed the retainers and sprayed some oil in them and around the ends, where the retainers were removed it looked really shiny and clean and they came out with just a light tap. I figure it may be bound up, I have tried wheels on the ground, frame supported and wheels hanging and frame supported with a jack under the springs to lift and lower them till it seems to relax the shackles. Will give the air hammer a try. Thanks again!!

Old 01-20-2019, 10:33 PM
SierraPapa
Junior User
Got the front end taken off and getting cleaned up. Frame wire brushed and ready for painting, Saturday was a nice day except for the wind highs around 76 with a cold front coming in Sunday. So figured I would go ahead and get the frame painted so I can get things put back together after they are cleaned. Using por15 and top coating the outside of the frame with a light ford grey paint.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:17 PM
Effies 56
More Turbo
Shawn,
You have been busy and your work has paid off. The frame looks very good! Thanks for giving us a update on your truck project! You said 76 was that wind speed or temp? Our current temp is 6F.
Regards,
Chris

Old 01-22-2019, 12:03 AM
SierraPapa
Junior User
Originally Posted by Effies 56
Shawn,
You have been busy and your work has paid off. The frame looks very good! Thanks for giving us a update on your truck project! You said 76 was that wind speed or temp? Our current temp is 6F.
Regards,
Chris
Thanks for the kind words Chris, yes it took me a few days with a wire wheel, wire brush, putty knife and chisel to get the loose rust and old grease and stuff off. Degreaser and metal prep from por15, a leaf blower plus a few days to completely dry out, I had been watching the weather to get a day I could get the por15 on, had a few warmer days ahead of the cold front. The temp was 76 highs and wind was around 30 mph gusts, 6 degrees is way too cold for this Florida boy.

Spring shackles and pins look pretty good, there is some noticeable wear. Leaf springs have been wire wheeled and will paint them on the next warm day. Then to tackle the I-beam and rack and pinion, king pins and all still feel tight so slowly making my way through the front end.

Quick Reply: '53 Ford Revival