Sponsored by:

aux usb port install

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 02:37 PM
ithaca1230
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
aux usb port install

I got a couple aux usb port chargers I want to install next to the aux charger on the dash. My question in does that panel that the aux port is in come out or do I have to remove parts of the dash?

Thanks

Old 09-27-2016, 02:46 PM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The cigarette lighter/power point up high on the dash? That panel does not remove...you need to pull the dash fascia. I installed two switches in mine, and seem to recall that there were some strength bosses behind that flat spot too. Just had to make 'em smooth before you can drill straight through. (If, you are drilling that spot...)

Old 09-27-2016, 02:51 PM
ithaca1230
Laughing Gas
yes the upper one on the dash. Is there any pics showing how to remove that to get back there

Thanks

Old 09-27-2016, 03:05 PM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
Some one may have pics....but you need to pull the radio to get at the two screws above the radio. Then, there are a series of clips all around the outside of the bezel. Gently pry it away from the dash. Once out a bit you can unplug everything and remove.

I seem to recall that it was helpful to lower the tilt wheel all the way down...

Old 09-27-2016, 09:29 PM
Rscottc
Senior User
I installed a usb charging port in the place of the top power point on my 02 Ex. Start on the passenger side of the dash trim and pull it straight out, only thing that holds it is those clips, once you get it started is easy to pull loose all the way around, pull it out enough you can get behind it to the power point, unplug the wire harness, there should be 3 screws holding the power point to the dash. You don't have to remove radio. Once they are out, the power point along with the sliding door comes out where you can take the power point out and put in your USB power point in its place then put it back with screws, cut harness, crimp your wire spades on to plug into usb power point, then snap dash back in place. Easy to do. I'll get a pic of finished product, I forgot to take pics when I did the conversion. The hardest part was getting the power point out of the plastic housing with the sliding door part, two tabs you have to push down at the same time you try to push power point out.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:00 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
Very nice! I am doing this to mine with dual USB ports. I have the same on my boat.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:01 PM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
Perhaps the year matters...but in my 2005 (which I bought new) you must pull the radio to get at the screw(s) above the radio or the dash will not come out.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:22 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
It's open behind it, but there are some mounts for the actual cig lighter that you might have to work around (depending on how you are mounting it and what type of base your unit has).

I didn't take any pics from behind, but to show you how my aux USB for the stereo and a new seat heater switch fit in:

Kenwood and USB Port

Kenwood USB Port

Gauges Step 3 Stereo Out

Drilled out the center, then used a Dremel bit to get an approx opening, then used a razor knife to straighten the edges.

...and it has notches at the top and bottom to keep it straight.

My switch mounted so low I needed to cut away the dash clip receiver behind it to keep the switch from popping out.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:35 AM
Rscottc
Senior User
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Very nice! I am doing this to mine with dual USB ports. I have the same on my boat.
Mine is a dual usb, picked it up at a marine supply store. When you pull that facia the radio comes with it but its ok it want hurt anything, on mine the radio is in a bracket that mounts to the facia. They probably changed it later like they do a lot of other things. The cigarette lighter power point was of no use to me in the location it was in. If you used the usuall plug in accessory plugs you couldn't sit a cup in the cup holder so I just took it out, the usb ends that plug in work much better and I can still use the cup holders. There is space beside it to add a switch or plug if you wanted to leave the cig lighter power point.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:10 PM
ithaca1230
Laughing Gas
the one I got is a dual port round about 1" was planning on putting it in next to aux power point with sliding door

Old 09-28-2016, 02:15 PM
ithaca1230
Laughing Gas
I was hoping to just drill a hole and be able to reach in from behind or below (cup holder) to tighten lock not and run wires without removing fascia.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:28 PM
Rscottc
Senior User
Originally Posted by ithaca1230
I was hoping to just drill a hole and be able to reach in from behind or below (cup holder) to tighten lock not and run wires without removing fascia.
You probably have the same one I got.
You can do that to, but you'll have to pull facia back to get in behind it to tighten nut on the round usb power point unless you got lucky and found one that snaps in like the cig lighter power points. Pulling the facia is not bad at all. My wife is gone on mine, I'll get you some pics.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:58 AM
ithaca1230
Laughing Gas
Ok thanks pictures always help.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:55 AM
Jeff53
Senior User
Here's what I did

I converted my front bench seat to buckets and installed the factory console. Since I didn't have rear audio controls with the bench, I didn't need the ones in the console, so I did the install in the picture. The top port, installed where the rear power port was has two USB ports. The bottom, installed where the audio controls were has an On/Off switch, a power port on the left and two USB ports on the right. One nice thing about having it there is that I can put my phone in the slot in front of the rear cup holders and plug it into one of the USB ports to charge. Another nice thing is that I didn't have to cut any new holes anywhere, I just used the existing openings in the console.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:09 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
Here are 2 shots of my '05 dash from the rear showing the factory upper power port and it's mounting screws.
Name:  IMG_20160929_110110_zpshlmvgsno.jpg
Views: 7867
Size:  351.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20160929_110053_zpspte8bcy9.jpg
Views: 7737
Size:  293.2 KB

I had assumed that the small panel the power port mounted to was removable, but it appears that it is a moulded part of the entire dash face with only the ports sliding cover and mount assembly being removable.

Quick Reply: aux usb port install