1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED headlight replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 11:23 AM
skippyf15
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED headlight replacement

Anyone using LED replacement bulbs? I have a 2008 super duty. Want to upgrade lighting. Any ideas?

Old 09-27-2016, 12:24 PM
Mike189677
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I recently just took my LED headlights out they just aren't where they need to be yet with the recflector headlights housings and I don't know how they work in projectors but I'd rather use hids in projectors anyway I know they work. And none of them are actually legal to use on the road even the ones like my lifetime led bulbs that said they were dot approved on their website but there is no dot number. Everyone that makes them has concentrated on making them so bright and not enough on the beam pattern. They are so bright infront of the truck and the down road and pretty much washed out for lack of a better term down road which isn't very good and the high beams are completely useless. And mine were positioned in the housings correctly which is very important and aimed properly as well. There is another member on here with an 08 but his is an xl model and I think it's ge that makes a replacement for the sealed beam housing that is awesome. The best thing you can do is either have projectors retrofitted into stock headlight housings and use hids which need to be in a projector housing or just get some sliver star ultras or equivalent from ge or Phillips and just live with it till someone comes up with a better led solution.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:18 PM
skippyf15
New User
I think the silver stars would be good to start with. LED lighting is good for my lamps in the house. I'll wait to see. Thanks.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:03 PM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I've got led back up lights on my '11. They suck. Look cool but very little useable light imo.

I've got silver stars up front all around and I can't even run my fog lights at night or oncoming traffic goes ballistic. The headlights seem super bright even on low. Low with the fog lights on is incredibly bright. Sometimes I just use them as my 'high beams'.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:54 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
I always liked silverstars brightness. However when I ran them in my f-150 back in the day they seemed to burn out very quickly. At $25 back in the day it got old after a while. Was gonna try some just a couple weeks ago to see if that had changed. But they want a $50 bill for them so I said forget it. Do you guys have good luck with the newer bulbs?

Old 09-27-2016, 09:24 PM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
My truck came to me with them just over a year ago. And none have burned out yet.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:56 PM
Boaterguy
Laughing Gas
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Well, I am using led headlights in my 2015. I like them. While you don't get 2 focused beams, it does light up a lot better than what I had before. I bought the lights that looks like a flat bar with 1 large led on the bottom and another on top for high beam. A friend who has led headlights that are round with a lot of little led's are not as bright as mine. I did have to adjust the factory housings a bit. I got them for the whiter color of the light so it would match my led bar and the fog lights which I had switched over to HID. You need a lot of light heading to the drags in Glamis!!

Old 09-28-2016, 03:15 PM
sxrfun
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I put the Phillips LED bulbs from XenonDepot.com in my 2008 F250. They work great...lots of light output....excellent upgrade over stock bulbs.

Here's the review I did on them.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/14...t-upgrade.html

Old 10-01-2016, 08:44 PM
camminich
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I swapped out my factory bulbs for a LED kit sold on amazon. This set included the canbus to prevent a wiring sensor error and also a fan to keep them cool. Pretty easy swap for all 4 (although you do have to take the grill off). And it was about $65 for the two kits, H13 and H10.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:47 PM
DallasSuperCrew
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by camminich
I swapped out my factory bulbs for a LED kit sold on amazon. This set included the canbus to prevent a wiring sensor error and also a fan to keep them cool. Pretty easy swap for all 4 (although you do have to take the grill off). And it was about $65 for the two kits, H13 and H10.

Looks good. How's the light pattern at night?

Amazon links?

Old 10-01-2016, 11:57 PM
camminich
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lighting and pattern spread is good, I would almost say the combo now of driving lights + head lamps are almost too bright for normal driving conditions, better kept for dark roads.

Main Lights:

Driving Lights:

This is the set from amazon I ordered, there a lot of different options now, but these had good reviews, and I used the same on my Crown Vic about 6 months back and they have been working very well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 10-02-2016, 10:03 AM
Norma stitz
Elder User
Food for thought:
Whenever I see people approach me at night with these incorrect lights that produce harsh, sharp, blue white light in the wrong directions i wait until the last second and then blast them with my high beams in hope that they crash. In my opinion running illegal lights is one of the most rude things people do in society and it's dangerous as hell. Just my opinion, not flaming anyone here, per say, but just consider the fact that factory halogen light is easier on the eyes for people on the road, and factory issued for a reason. If you REALLY need more light (which is rarely justified) then pump up your high beam circuit with extra led lighting or whatever that can dim down to original low beams for traffic.
Be considerate. It's a safety issue.

I'm saying this with peace and love, and not aiming at anyone here, I also love to mod stuff just not headlights. just my opinion. Carry on.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:01 PM
airm4n
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had good luck with the putco led headlights. No flickering or problems been a year and a half in my 2011 f350 now. I adjusted my headlights a bit too and have never had any problems with people flashing me. They are the ones with no fans behind just the mesh for dissipating heat.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:04 PM
fishbones182
Senior User
Originally Posted by Norma stitz
Food for thought:
Whenever I see people approach me at night with these incorrect lights that produce harsh, sharp, blue white light in the wrong directions i wait until the last second and then blast them with my high beams in hope that they crash. In my opinion running illegal lights is one of the most rude things people do in society and it's dangerous as hell. Just my opinion, not flaming anyone here, per say, but just consider the fact that factory halogen light is easier on the eyes for people on the road, and factory issued for a reason. If you REALLY need more light (which is rarely justified) then pump up your high beam circuit with extra led lighting or whatever that can dim down to original low beams for traffic.
Be considerate. It's a safety issue.

I'm saying this with peace and love, and not aiming at anyone here, I also love to mod stuff just not headlights. just my opinion. Carry on.
This is why I love my light bars one in the bumper one on the roof. Blind me you'll get it right back. I love bright light but there's a time and place for it. Done right you can mod your lights and get awesome light output and bother no on coming traffic. Most people in my area have done the mods right the ones that haven't are mostly kids.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:17 PM
Norma stitz
Elder User
You wouldn't have time to bright me back. And chances are if I bright you it's not the first time you've been blasted because I only do it to obnoxious blue Hid led whatever and yes they are usually kids I'm sure.

Quick Reply: LED headlight replacement