272/292 Crankshaft

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 09:33 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
272/292 Crankshaft

It looks like Earl's crankshaft is cracked and beyond repair. I haven't been able to find a replacement through any of the normal vendors, or on eBay.

I did happen to find a 1960 (or 1961?) 292 Y-block with a three-speed automatic. It's only about 15 miles away and has been sitting for about 20 years, supposedly covered. It will cost me more in gas to drive there and back than the seller wants for it, which is not much.

As always, I'm on a budget, but I'd be willing to spring for a rebuilt or usable crank if I could find one for a reasonable price.

My questions are:

1. From what I can gather from John Mummert's Y-block page and other sites, all the 272 and 292 engines used essentially the same crankshaft, except that some of the early units didn't have the slinger. Can somebody with a Hollanders tell me if I can use any 292 crankshaft as a replacement for my 1956 272?

2. What, in your opinion, are the chances that the crank in the 292 I found is still OK? Do these cranks have a history of cracks? Supposedly the engine had oil in it and was running when removed. It is now, however, "stuck up" according to the owner.

3. Is there anything else I should be considering here that I haven't mentioned?

Thanks for any comments or info. I'm kinda in a jam here since the shop can't do too much more without a good, or at least repairable, crankshaft to put in there.

Old 08-22-2003, 05:42 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
272/292 Crankshaft

I was under the impression that ALL 272 and 292 cranks were interchangeable. You wont know till its apart if the 292 crank is any good but I'd say its worth the gamble. Also you'd be stuck if you sat for 20 years! so dont worry about that, it will still come apart.
I should have one but I will recheck and let you know,

Kevin aka Bigwin

Old 08-22-2003, 07:33 AM
Earl
Postmaster
272/292 Crankshaft

Yeah, I get stuck after sitting for an hour.

Old 08-22-2003, 08:29 AM
286merc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
272/292 Crankshaft

George, all 56 and later 272/292 cranks had the slinger. Ive heard of the 312 cracking but not the smaller journal ones.

I can ship you a 239 crank so you can build a high revving zinger to chase Dewayne with

Old 08-22-2003, 08:40 AM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
272/292 Crankshaft

There are 3 listed in the classifieds. At www.y-blocksforever.com click on form and then classifieds. You might be better off getting the crank from that 292. Were did your crank crack?

Old 08-22-2003, 09:17 AM
Fat Fendered Ford
Elder User
272/292 Crankshaft

Originally posted by Earl
It looks like Earl's crankshaft is cracked and beyond repair.
Dang. Sorry to hear that, George. At least you shouldn't have as much trouble finding a crank as you did finding a water pump.

Old 08-22-2003, 10:12 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
272/292 Crankshaft

"I can ship you a 239 crank so you can build a high revving zinger to chase Dewayne with"

Key word is chase. The day I get beat by a streetable flatty will be the day the 302 leaves the mounts. Back to the question though. I am curious if Y-block cranks tend to crack. It seems to be common in other older motors built by lesser companies. Metalurgy has come a long ways. New engines don't suffer from this often. I'm talking 30 years back when I say new.

Old 08-22-2003, 10:21 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Unhappy 272/292 Crankshaft

Sorry to hear about Earl. I have heard that 272/292/ cranks are tuff and meaty. The only negatives are concerning the reliability of the 312 crank. Good luck, John

Old 08-22-2003, 10:55 AM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
272/292 Crankshaft

When did they start using forged steel cranks? I know they had the passenger car cranks and there truck cranks in the late 50's-early 60's. George, sorry to hear abou the crank but at least you found the crack now! -4speed

Old 08-22-2003, 11:00 AM
Earl
Postmaster
272/292 Crankshaft

Kevin, Carl, and John T.,

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate knowing I'm not on a wild goose chase with the 292 I found. I also appreciate your comments about the 312 vs. the 272/292 crank cracks, Carl and John.

John D.,

I can't raise the Forum page on Y-Blocks Forever. Must be a server issue or some other problem. I'll try again later, thanks.

Kevin K.,

Thanks for the support. I'm hoping this will work out with minimal effort and cost using the 292 I found.

Carl and 'fenders,

I have no intention of chasing, much less catching, anyone - including anyone not participating on this board. And yes, you can quote me on that. By the way, this is known as the anti-Fergie approach to discussing your own truck's prowess. Sorry Fergie.

John W.,

I'd have to check on the forged cranks, I did read this on John Mummert's page "C1TE truck crankshaft only used from 1961-1964 in heavy duty trucks. Not used in light trucks." I think the C1TE versions were the forged steel cranks, and I don't think the 292 I'm looking at came out of a heavy truck. Most likely a 1962 car or light truck given the C2AE-6015-C casting number on the block. And yes, I'm sure glad the shop guys are on the ball and found it now instead of later!

The plan is to drive Earl occasionally in the summer, on weekends and evenings. Barb and I just want something special to ride in while we spend some time together after raising our kids and getting them out of the house. We'll visit a few friends, attend some drive-ins and get-togethers, and maybe a show or two. Can't think of anything I'd like to do more. Besides, that's how Earl was restored - as an occasional driver, not really a performance machine.

I'll put all the details of how this works out in Earl's World. I don't know exactly where the crank cracked yet, or other details from the machine shop. Right now, I have to talk with the seller and then it's off to arrange for a truck to pick up the 292 engine. I just realized that I "might" be able to get a good cam or other parts out of the 292 as well as the crank since I know my 272 cam is toasted. We'll see what shape the 292 is in.

Thanks for all the comments and support. You guys and gals are the best!

Last edited by Earl; 08-22-2003 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:15 PM
Lobo 2
Senior User
272/292 Crankshaft

George,

Sorry to hear about Earl's crankshaft. I've never heard of a cracked 272/292 crankshaft. I've seen a couple 318 Mopars, but never an Y-Block...

If this gets serious, drop me a note, and I'll get you one right away. You just pay the shipping costs, and it's yours.

If only the shipping costs were low... I have a very good one from a 272 I took apart not long ago...

Best regards,
Lobo

By the way, it's great to know you could find a 292 to take apart!

Old 08-22-2003, 07:46 PM
bhabben
Senior User
272/292 Crankshaft

Earl,
I'm surprised that none of the machine shops in the rust belt can scare up a crank...
Did you call this guy in San Angelo off the classifieds?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/cgi-bin/...lassifieds.cgi
As scarce as Y-blocks appear to be in your neck of the woods I would definitely pick up the other 292. Do you have any experience tearing down stuck engines? If not, we can give you lots of tips to help salvage as much of the engine as possible. What you don't use you can always sell if so inclined.
Good Luck!
Brett
PS. Does the automatic have truck mounting ears?$$$

Old 08-22-2003, 08:39 PM
Earl
Postmaster
272/292 Crankshaft

Originally posted by bhabben
Earl,
I'm surprised that none of the machine shops in the rust belt can scare up a crank...
Did you call this guy in San Angelo off the classifieds?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/cgi-bin/...lassifieds.cgi
As scarce as Y-blocks appear to be in your neck of the woods I would definitely pick up the other 292. Do you have any experience tearing down stuck engines? If not, we can give you lots of tips to help salvage as much of the engine as possible. What you don't use you can always sell if so inclined.
Good Luck!
Brett
PS. Does the automatic have truck mounting ears?$$$
Yeah Brett, I finally looked at the FTE classifieds. What a bonehead I am - I should have looked there first! Anyway, at about $60 for shipping from San Angelo, plus the cost of the crank, it's my second option right now. It will only cost me $35 to have the 292 crank cleaned and Magna Fluxed. If it's trash, I'm not out much. If it's OK, I saved $50 to $100 over buying and shipping one.

I talked with the 292 owner on his cell phone as he got me casting numbers off the engine. His first comment was that he really didn't care about the money, but he didn't want to see it go to the crusher. He seemed very sincere. He last used it in a car for demo-derby events! He said he removed it because the car was totally trashed, but the engine was still running strong. That was right before he retired, and it's been sitting since.

WRT taking the stuck engine apart, I'll take my time and be sure to get back to you if I run into something that a few reasonable shots with a dead-blow hammer won't budge.

I don't know about the mounting ears on the automatic. I'll have to wait and see. Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate them.

Old 08-28-2003, 11:15 AM
Earl
Postmaster
272/292 Crankshaft

Well, I finally got the 292 torn down and the crank out. Please, no laughter from Carl and other experienced engine folks. I may not be fast at tearing down engines, but I'm ... er ... well, I'm not fast. I only found one stuck piston, and that wasn't stuck very badly. It came out with a few medium shots with a dead-blow hammer and a foot-long 2 x 2.

I talked with the machine shop folks and Larry said there were cracks all over Earl's original 272 crank when they Magna-Fluxed it. He stood it on end on the concrete floor and tapped on it with a wrench - it sounded like he was hitting a wooden 4x4. They haven't Magna-Fluxed the 292 crank yet, but it rings like a bell when tapped, so I hope it's OK. Anyone care to venture a guess as to how that 272 crank got cracks all over in it?

I'd also appreciate opinions and comments on putting used parts in a reconditioned block. Fetters said they just don't think it's a good idea. I'm a rank amateur with engines and would like to hear from you experienced folks (Tim, Carl, 'fenders, John, ...) on this issue. I had hoped to use the pistons, camshaft, and maybe some other parts from the 292 if they checked out OK. Larry wasn't very enthusiastic about that idea. The only reason he's going with a used crank is that we can't get a new replacement, and he can check the crank pretty well for cracks, and can regrind it if the journals need some work.

Old 08-28-2003, 01:14 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
272/292 Crankshaft

Well at least your engine runs when you got it. I need a new head and 3 pistons. I don't really care about the pistons since they are replaced by set. Maybe your truck was driven very hard but then how do you explain that your tranny and rear axle had very little wear. Now where's Sherlock Holmes and Watson...

Quick Reply: 272/292 Crankshaft