1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Location of ABS control

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 09:59 PM
EricE
5th Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Location of ABS control

2009 Ford F350 Diesel

I am trying to find my ABS controller because I have an intermittent ABS light on the dash and the code says something about signal loss on more than one wheel. So I assume I have bad wiring or a loose plug somewhere.
I found this (pic attached) on the left hand side under (or a little behind) drivers seat mounted under truck on the frame rail. I think it is the control module but when I tested wiring I found no continuity to any of the ABS wheel sensors.

Is this the control module?

Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2016, 08:54 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
That would be the HFCM, Horizontal Fuel Conditioning Module.

ABS module is (IIRC) under the hood, driver's side fender wall, in front of the master cylinder, I can't find a clear picture of the area.
EDIT: Hell if I know where it is, I didn't think it moved far but every picture I can pull up of the 6.4L in the engine bay doesn't show it, I thought it was kind of under the degas bottle in front of the junction box but there's a fender support there? I just know that ^^^ ain't it

Page 3 of .pdf shows the HFCM:

Old 09-23-2016, 09:24 AM
EricE
5th Wheeling
Thank you for the reply. I'll take a look but I have looked there before and I didn't see anything.
Question to anyone who knows about this ABS system. Are there two modules for the ABS? One that is purely electrical that controls things and one similar to the picture above that surges the hydraulics?
I am thinking that perhaps what I found is the piece that surges the hydraulics but perhaps the control piece may be somewhere else. That would explain why I got no continuity with the sensor wires. They would go directly to the control module (if there were two pieces).
As always, any help you can provide is appreciated.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:56 AM
sxrfun
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's on the left hand side frame rail.......

Name:  absmodule.GIF
Views: 55728
Size:  38.7 KB

Old 09-23-2016, 10:21 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

OP, your pic is without a doubt the HFCM.

Not sure if this is it exactly, but this is the clearest shot I've found of that corner. Not many pics around with the battery out:

Old 09-23-2016, 10:21 AM
EricE
5th Wheeling
Perfect. Extremely helpful srxfun. Thank you.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:26 AM
EricE
5th Wheeling
Now I am confused. The diagram from srxfun puts it to the rear of the spring. Your pic puts it under the battery box in front of the spring.
Are those two pictures at odds with each-other or am I just looking at the diagram wrong?

Old 09-23-2016, 10:28 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Shock is in the rear side of the coil bucket

Old 09-23-2016, 10:56 AM
EricE
5th Wheeling
ok, thank you both. I'll dig into it. I hope it is only a loose plug.
I hope I didn't make a bad purchase. I just got this truck and after working on it a bit I discovered it had been submerged in mud. Probably up to cab level. So a fine layer of dust covers all electrical connections and anywhere it can get. I keep chipping out caked mud from the underbody and holes in frame rails. I worry this is just the tip of the iceberg on electrical issues.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:01 AM
sxrfun
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Left and right sides are denoted from sitting in the truck.....so left side is drivers side.....module is just to the front of the spring tower on drivers side.....I've heard issues with wiring harnesses chaffing in this area before if I remember correctly.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:44 AM
MoBill122
Papa Smurf
Received 136 Likes on 77 Posts
Did you check wiring/plugs, etc to wheels ABS ? People who go mudding mess up the wiring a lot. I'd replace the rear ABS sensor, just for the hell of it.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:41 PM
EricE
5th Wheeling
I did check the wiring to the sensors for each wheel and I did replace the sensor to the rear diff. Wiring looks good till it merges with wiring harness. I could not test sensors but in reading up on this I believe the sensors may be active sensors which are harder to unit test.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:13 PM
EricE
5th Wheeling
OK, I found the ABS controller. That didn't help much though. I spent several hours today testing continuity and tracing harness wiring. I don't see any problem spots in the harness yet I am still getting code C1175 which says "left rear sensor signal loss". That is odd since I am sure these only have one rear sensor in the differential.
I am not able to get continuity from the rear sensor (which I replaced) to any wire in the ABS control plug.
Also, I found +12V on one wire to each of the front wheel sensors with the ignition on. Should I see that on the VSS also? I didn't.
It baffles me that I don't see any issues in the wiring yet I don't get VSS signal to the ABS.
In desperation today I pulled and examined each and every fuse from the fuse box in engine bay and in passenger kick panel. No luck there, all fuses good.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should be looking at/for? I am stumped.

Old 09-25-2016, 02:41 PM
EricE
5th Wheeling
I found and fixed the problem. There was some corrosion on the wires where the VSS pigtail mates with the harness.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-17-2023, 12:12 PM
Scott Way
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Abs intermittent light on after reset

Originally Posted by EricE
OK, I found the ABS controller. That didn't help much though. I spent several hours today testing continuity and tracing harness wiring. I don't see any problem spots in the harness yet I am still getting code C1175 which says "left rear sensor signal loss". That is odd since I am sure these only have one rear sensor in the differential.
I am not able to get continuity from the rear sensor (which I replaced) to any wire in the ABS control plug.
Also, I found +12V on one wire to each of the front wheel sensors with the ignition on. Should I see that on the VSS also? I didn't.
It baffles me that I don't see any issues in the wiring yet I don't get VSS signal to the ABS.
In desperation today I pulled and examined each and every fuse from the fuse box in engine bay and in passenger kick panel. No luck there, all fuses good.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should be looking at/for? I am stumped.
Check broken solder connections on main abs board. This was my intermittent problem. Easy fix. Just resolder the connection.