2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Things on the 2017 that you don't like.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 05:25 PM
FOUNTAIN 1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish steering wheel came down further .. might have been said already but whatever

Old 02-05-2017, 06:28 PM
Bassboatman
Junior User
I already have 7,000 miles on my 2017 F-250 Platinum. I said it before, and after going to Florida Twice from Kentucky both Towing and not towing a boat, this is roughest riding 3/4 ton I've owned. My GM's going back 10 years ago to my recent 2015 Denali HD rode twice as good as this on their worst day. For those that drive on smooth roads all the time, I can see how you could say truck rides good, but anyone who drives on Northern or Midwestern roads and thinks this truck rides good has not owned a GM. I did put a set a of Fox Shocks on my Superduty that has helped, but still the straight front axle is archaic and rides like a 1980's Farm Truck. The head rest and the upper part of the seats are not comfortable no matter what you do, I've had a dozen passengers of all heights weights etc and no one likes the head rests and top seats. Now the bottom of the seats are super comfy and less rough than the GM's. Overall I love the look, power, and technology that is in this truck, it is an impressive rig. I do have an oil leak right now, but I don't fault the truck that can happen in anything. I just wish the seats were better and I could get a better ride, I drive a lot and I would run a 1/2 ton if I didn't need to tow my Fifth Wheel now and then. Plus the diesel tows even a 21 foot bassboat much better and less stops across long distances. Really impressed with all elements of the Ford, but again ride is unexceptable in a 70K truck.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:11 PM
FOUNTAIN 1
Elder User
Originally Posted by Bassboatman
I already have 7,000 miles on my 2017 F-250 Platinum. I said it before, and after going to Florida Twice from Kentucky both Towing and not towing a boat, this is roughest riding 3/4 ton I've owned. My GM's going back 10 years ago to my recent 2015 Denali HD rode twice as good as this on their worst day. For those that drive on smooth roads all the time, I can see how you could say truck rides good, but anyone who drives on Northern or Midwestern roads and thinks this truck rides good has not owned a GM. I did put a set a of Fox Shocks on my Superduty that has helped, but still the straight front axle is archaic and rides like a 1980's Farm Truck. The head rest and the upper part of the seats are not comfortable no matter what you do, I've had a dozen passengers of all heights weights etc and no one likes the head rests and top seats. Now the bottom of the seats are super comfy and less rough than the GM's. Overall I love the look, power, and technology that is in this truck, it is an impressive rig. I do have an oil leak right now, but I don't fault the truck that can happen in anything. I just wish the seats were better and I could get a better ride, I drive a lot and I would run a 1/2 ton if I didn't need to tow my Fifth Wheel now and then. Plus the diesel tows even a 21 foot bassboat much better and less stops across long distances. Really impressed with all elements of the Ford, but again ride is unexceptable in a 70K truck.
oh boy , you braught up the ,,,,, gmc word .. now you did it .. lol my 16 denali rode great I thought too .. kind of miss it .but do love ford looks ..

Old 02-05-2017, 09:21 PM
Zybane
Freshman User
Main reason I passed on the '17 SD. RAM with coils rides way better.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:48 PM
cfaas416
Freshman User
I may sound like a rant but hang with me just for a second. I like all the various angles of feedback on this thread. And as one of the few unlucky souls here that hasn't picked up his new 17' (yet) it has really shed some light on some interesting topics except one. And being a new diesel this probably isnt fair but no one has complained about the mileage?? Not saying I know if its good or bad but not hearing any complaints gets me even more excited. Now I'll stop those of you right there that are going to say " if you are willing to spend 70K on a truck you shouldnt give a crap about mileage" and you are RIGHT BUT it is still something I research and put some emphasis (while very little) in my decision making process. All in all I can honestly say nothing in this tread has steered my decision away just thought I would add another talking point.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:50 PM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Received 385 Likes on 215 Posts
I think your first goof is to compare the IFS of the GM to the SFA of the Ford (or Ram). IFS will always ride softer. But you didn't say what PSI you're running in your tires. Do you have heavier spring packages?

I rented an F-250 in Oklahoma for three weeks, which has some of the worst roads in the country, and was VERY pleased with the ride quality.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:04 PM
Litre
Senior User
Originally Posted by cfaas416
I may sound like a rant but hang with me just for a second. I like all the various angles of feedback on this thread. And as one of the few unlucky souls here that hasn't picked up his new 17' (yet) it has really shed some light on some interesting topics except one. And being a new diesel this probably isnt fair but no one has complained about the mileage?? Not saying I know if its good or bad but not hearing any complaints gets me even more excited. Now I'll stop those of you right there that are going to say " if you are willing to spend 70K on a truck you shouldnt give a crap about mileage" and you are RIGHT BUT it is still something I research and put some emphasis (while very little) in my decision making process. All in all I can honestly say nothing in this tread has steered my decision away just thought I would add another talking point.
This is my first Diesel. I came from a '14 F150 ecoboost and an '08 Tundra 5.7L before that. 14.5mpg and 13mpg respectively. Considering I'm gaining 100ish horsepower and 2-3x the torque, I'm happy with the 14.4 city-heavy mpg I'm averaging thus far in my new truck.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:39 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
The head rest and the upper part of the seats are not comfortable no matter what you do, I've had a dozen passengers of all heights weights etc and no one likes the head rests and top seats. Now the bottom of the seats are super comfy and less rough than the GM's.
Just my opinion, but I find the headrests comfortable. The cloth ones are too hard, but the leather ones are pretty plush. I don't like the shape as well as the previous generation, but I do find them to be comfortable. I'm 6'5" and I have the headrest up almost as far as it goes, and tipped forward as far as it goes.

Overall, these seats are not bad, but not as comfortable as the previous generation.

By the way, the car magazines that have reviewed the 2017 say these new Fords ride very well.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:42 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Zybane
According to MotorTrend, the 2500 rides well but the 3500 RAM rides horribly, even with the air suspension:
"Not entirely. Take, for instance, the ride of the 3500 diesel dually. “Poor” doesn’t begin to describe it despite its $1,595 rear air suspension. “It rides like a truck from 10 years ago,” Loh said. “I felt bumps and other vibrations like no other truck here on parts of the drive loop that I didn’t feel anything in any other truck.”
Ram 2500/3500 HD: 2017 Motor Trend Truck of the Year Contender - Motor Trend

Old 02-06-2017, 08:12 AM
Shreve T
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Zybane

I disagree !! My 2015 RAM road like a wooden spoke wagon...

Old 02-06-2017, 08:25 AM
K A M
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
I'm 6'5" and I have the headrest up almost as far as it goes, and tipped forward as far as it goes.
I learned something new. I went out and tried to adjust mine and could not. I thought he has a different truck with adjustable headrest. Then I looked at the passenger side and thought it was slightly different angle. I then pulled it out looking for a button and as I was putting back in it ratcheted forward. Got it now. Pull forward to the position you want then all the way forward to release it to start over. Thank you for your comment.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:13 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by K A M
I learned something new. I went out and tried to adjust mine and could not. I thought he has a different truck with adjustable headrest. Then I looked at the passenger side and thought it was slightly different angle. I then pulled it out looking for a button and as I was putting back in it ratcheted forward. Got it now. Pull forward to the position you want then all the way forward to release it to start over. Thank you for your comment.
Glad to help! The previous generation was this way also. Definitely more comfortable if you can get the headrest closer to your head.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:32 AM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cfaas416

Wrong....go back and look through some of the posts. Several have complained about the mileage. There are SEVERAL mentions of mileage in the last few months. I am one of the new '17 owners who so far.....has not been too impressed with what my 6.7 is giving me mileage wise. I just hit 5000 last week and overall, it seems to be giving me around 14 to 14.7. Even when I take a highway trip, it flirts with 17...maybe mid 17 buts drops down FAST to 14 when I get back to driving around my town. My 2011 at 5000 miles was Consistently a 16 mpg truck around town...and 18.5 to 19 on the road. I know i'm nitpicking numbers here....but you asked.....and yeah...I'm a bit disappointed SO FAR.....

Old 02-06-2017, 10:18 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Kenv
Wrong....go back and look through some of the posts. Several have complained about the mileage. There are SEVERAL mentions of mileage in the last few months. I am one of the new '17 owners who so far.....has not been too impressed with what my 6.7 is giving me mileage wise. I just hit 5000 last week and overall, it seems to be giving me around 14 to 14.7. Even when I take a highway trip, it flirts with 17...maybe mid 17 buts drops down FAST to 14 when I get back to driving around my town. My 2011 at 5000 miles was Consistently a 16 mpg truck around town...and 18.5 to 19 on the road. I know i'm nitpicking numbers here....but you asked.....and yeah...I'm a bit disappointed SO FAR.....
It's hard for me to gauge accurately, going from a CCSB to a CCLB DRW...but both those trucks at least shared the same 3.55 axle. My lifetime on the new dually is 14.0 (5,500 miles) and the trade-in lifetime of the 2016 diesel was 16.5mpg. I, too always saw much higher numbers on the highway with the 2016 truck.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:34 AM
dsladdict
Senior User
I personally am going to withhold any judgment until I know that the engine and drive train are broken in(I know a few have stated they are +5000 miles...). My 2011 drivetrain is identical to the 2017 in every aspect except for the engine so I should have a good reference to the difference due to the engine alone. Keeping my foot out of the pedal will be the biggest challenge though....

I would think most of any difference in the fuel economy will be due to the larger turbocharger. More mass to accelerate on the compressor wheel means more exhaust flow on the turbine end to produce the same effect, probably why they went with the 32 mm wheel to start with?

Quick Reply: Things on the 2017 that you don't like.