Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cracker289
That's awesome Bob!
Thanks John

Old 11-20-2016, 05:42 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Made it back from the Georgia last night around 8pm. We had a good time and it was so nice to get away for a day or two. I really hate that I missed the get together but due to time constraints, I didn't really have a choice.

On the trip down the Ex. got 13.9mpg(hand calculated) and on the return trip towing the new trailer it got 11.8. Not to shabby for the heavy beast. Here's what we drug home...

Name:  IMG_0285_zpsvbeuijdl.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  144.5 KB

Edit to add...
I spent most of the day today removing the huge dealer decals and the idiot stickers that the manufacturers place all over the trailer. Nothing like bright yellow warnings on a black trailer.

Rear door is heavy and can kill you
Remove fingers before closing door
Floor may be slippery when wet
Do not sit or stand on fenders

Old 11-20-2016, 06:32 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
just out of curiosity Marty (and yes i know its a rude question or so im told it is).. how much did you pay for the trailer?? weve been looking at something similar...

Old 11-20-2016, 07:18 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Sparky83, Nothing rude about asking. You'll never know unless you ask, right?

First of all, It was'nt cheap. Yes I could have saved a couple of grand by accepting an off the lot standard dealer stock. I wanted a 7x12 tandem custom built for ME! I tried a few dealers around here and all they wanted to get was the standard dressed up trailer.(lipstick on a pig so to speak). Most of them tried to insist that I order a 14' instead of a 12' being that there wasn't that much difference in the price. I didn't want a 14', I wanted a 12'.

After a few calls down south and searching the interwebs I found a dealer that was the right fit for me. When I started asking about options such as an all tubular frame(no sheet metal studs as are 99% of trailers on the market/road)their response was it's your trailer, tell us what you want.

The options on this trailer came to about 2 grand for a total of $4674.00.

Custom tubular frame, walls sit on frame that runs the perimeter of trailer, not on outriggers.
4" dropped axles with brakes on both
Polished 24" rockguard and perimeter of trailer
Polished front and rear corners
Aluminum fenders
A/C prep package for roof
LED light Package
Aluminum 2 way vents in sidewalls
Roof vent
Ramp door transition flap
Ramp door flap
ATP flooring...floor, ramp, and door flap
7 spoke aluminum wheels
Dual rear tail/stop lights
3/8 plywood on walls and ceiling
3/4 treated plywood on floor under ATP
6'3" instead of 6'0"
.030" guage exterior

I'm sure that there are a couple of things that I forgot, but this is most of it. Took 6 weeks to arrive from the day I ordered it. The factory did call me a couple of times during the build to verify some things.

I going tomorrow to pick up 14 sheets of 1" Polyiso insulation to do the walls and ceiling. Yes I could have had them do it, but they didn't offer anything suitable for my tastes.

Plus I got a very nice road trip with the wife out of the deal! This thing pulls like a dream.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:52 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Planning on camping out of that trailer?

Old 11-21-2016, 05:37 AM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Look'in good, Marty...

Old 11-21-2016, 09:14 AM
ncheavymetal
Postmaster
Nice looking trailer Marty.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:17 AM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Thanks fellas.

Yes, I plan on using it if the weather is less than ideal when arriving at a campsite late at night. If it's pouring rain, I can just crash in the trailer and set up the tent the next day. It will also come in handy when we go to the mountains. Gale isn't crazy about sleeping in a tent and I'm getting to old and lazy to drag her 9000# travel trailer up there(I really don't enjoy rv's anymore anyway). So it will come in handy there also. It will also be used to haul the zero turn over to her parents house to mow the lawn. They are in their 80's and won't be cutting grass much longer.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:53 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by FordxFour
Sparky83, Nothing rude about asking. You'll never know unless you ask, right?
Thats how ive always felt about it.. If you dont ask you dont know if your getting ripped off somewhere else for the same thing.. but i can tell you it wasnt too uncommon of a thing id ask a question like that and people would reply back "thats very rude to ask..." really dont get why they think that.. but to each their own..

First of all, It was'nt cheap. Yes I could have saved a couple of grand by accepting an off the lot standard dealer stock. I wanted a 7x12 tandem custom built for ME! I tried a few dealers around here and all they wanted to get was the standard dressed up trailer.(lipstick on a pig so to speak). Most of them tried to insist that I order a 14' instead of a 12' being that there wasn't that much difference in the price. I didn't want a 14', I wanted a 12'.

After a few calls down south and searching the interwebs I found a dealer that was the right fit for me. When I started asking about options such as an all tubular frame(no sheet metal studs as are 99% of trailers on the market/road)their response was it's your trailer, tell us what you want.
its a very nice trailer for sure.. we're not wanting anything fancy.. yours looked about the same size as what ive been trying to talk my parents into... but the ones ive been finding are in the 5-7K range... were just needing something long and strong enough to haul dads tractor in for when it has to go in for service... also to maybe use to haul the furniture down in when we can finally start moving everything down to the NC house instead of renting a trailer every weekend or a truck.. they dont want an open trailer like the yard ppl use.. they want something enclosed... which i kind of like that idea better too because then i could add a rack to it when when i needed to haul long pieces of steel on it that might not fit inside.. lol

Old 11-21-2016, 05:32 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Well, I got the Polyiso picked up today. Now I'm almost ready to get it installed. Thanks Unk Bob for the company and the hand today in going to go get it. We were definitely in the woods...lol.

Bob, I'll see you in the morning and we'll tackle that antenna.

You folks be good!

Old 11-21-2016, 10:48 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Well, I got the Polyiso picked up today. Now I'm almost ready to get it installed. Thanks Unk Bob for the company and the hand today in going to go get it. We were definitely in the woods...lol.

Bob, I'll see you in the morning and we'll tackle that antenna.

You folks be good!
I enjoyed getting away from the house for a bit, it was a nice time.
See ya in the morning, we'll finish a pot of coffee and hids that satelite antenna.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:54 AM
ncheavymetal
Postmaster
I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving week. We'll be in and out visiting family and such. I'm planning to hunt like a dog Wednesday. Wish me luck. We'll have venison at the January dinner if I'm lucky.

Take care.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:13 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Mary and I leave for Texas tomorrow. Time to meet her family and parents. It should be fun, however I do miss prepping the turkey this year and everything that goes into cooking the dinner for Thursday. Maybe next year I will be hosting again.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:26 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Benztechnc
Mary and I leave for Texas tomorrow. Time to meet her family and parents. It should be fun, however I do miss prepping the turkey this year and everything that goes into cooking the dinner for Thursday. Maybe next year I will be hosting again.

Josh, either way, driving or flying, have a safe trip buddy.
Sounds like it's getting serious

Quick Reply: Fall 2016 General BS Thread