6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

DONE😡😡😡😡

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 10:07 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Grodyman
Thanks OP, every time I even begin to think about buying a new diesel I start to read stories like this and I fall in love with my 2011 6.2 all over again..........never again. Also, my dad just had to put $8500 into his 2007 6.0 with about 45k on the odometer for various mechanical breakdowns, all related to fuel system/delivery (before I convinced him to dump it and buy a Ram)......Never never never never never a Ford offered diesel. Ever. Period.....Out.

Gman
Meanwhile, hundreds of thousands of us have never had any issue at all. To those that have, it is unfortunate.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:29 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by smoky_diesel
I agree with OP that the filter system should be effective. Even worse that an warrantee/extended warrantee is useless.

I don't understand why this particular filtration system is ineffective for 'bad fuel'. That's its only job to do.

Given this, I would think there would be an aftermarket filtration system available and popular, to prevent a $10,000 bill. Even if it was a few grand. Don't see any post here about them.
Thank you for saying this. I have thought it over and over and also how a $70k truck has such a sensitive fuel system. Been looking at newer diesels for awhile. This is even more reason, again, to keep what I have. Bummer OP...very sorry to hear it.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:34 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by senix
anything 2008 and up can suffer due to the hpfp.

Only thing you can do is to try to mitigate the issue as best you can. I have drained daily sometimes just to be sure.
I would be one severely pizzed off **** if I paid his kind of money and had to do this as assurance or "maintenance". Ford should know it's unacceptable.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:53 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
It's a scary world out there. Take yourself and your 6.2 into the basement immediately and save the two of you!!!

I don't get it Rodney. First you are agreeing with the issue the PO is having and then someone else throws up their bad experience so you get butthurt and put out the infamous basement comment? Good grief man, it just makes no sense.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:58 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is truly unfortunate if you get a big repair bill.

The assumption of many is that Ford could build a zero defect truck, but because they are stupid, or cheap, or careless, they don't. And that because the truck costs a lot of money, they should. But here in the real world, NASA can't build zero defect multi-billion dollar satellites (nor can private industry, as we have just found out), even one-off - let alone by the million for a relative pittance.

Water can be dissolved, emulsified, or just be present as water in diesel fuel. The filtration that is available for a pickup truck does nothing at all for the dissolved water, can get much (but not all) of the emulsified water, and should be able to get all of the ordinary water (as long as there is a place to put it). You can read all this in Racor's or Baldwin's literature or the many research studies on the subject.

Diesel Site's filter has the same type and efficiency filters that Ford uses. You are just adding capacity to store trapped water (which is a good thing), in transparent bowls so you can see it (another good thing), incrementally improving the system. But call them and ask if they will warrantee your fuel system against water if you buy one and put bad fuel through it. I already know the answer. Their warrantee is the same as Ford's.

On these new trucks (not just the Ford), contaminated fuel is like the weather - everybody complains about it but nobody does anything.

I would be much more critical of Ford if they could have bought a better filter for another $20 but didn't. That does not seem to be the case. If you know of such a filter please point it out to them and me. We would all be using it.

I am MUCH more critical of them on the 2011 valve issue - here is a known cause with a known fix and culpability - there should have been a recall or extended warrantee.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:36 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,201 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
I don't get it Rodney. First you are agreeing with the issue the PO is having and then someone else throws up their bad experience so you get butthurt and put out the infamous basement comment? Good grief man, it just makes no sense.

Not "buthurt" at all. To summarize, I agreed with the OP that I would be upset if something unfortunate happened. Especially IF it was due to inadequate stock filtration. But to say that I'd never buy a Ford diesel again as Grodyman posted, because of one story on the internet, is absolutely asinine in my opinion... or "buthurt" as you so eloquently put it. Good grief, I hope that clears it up for you...

Anyways, I'm still surprised that even if water is emulsified and makes it into the fuel system, that rust (which is the only thing the dealer found) can make it past the filter media. As I said though, I guess I'm learning something new here.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:56 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm in the crowd that hasn't drained the separator bowl in about a year now, when I do it's to get fuel so I can start a fire or get rid of an ant pile.

I also burn approx. 500 gallons of fuel each month, so a lot of fuel passes through my system and I've never had any reason to worry about any of it. I change my filters at 15,000 miles and they usually look clean.

I use an aux tank in the bed and it has a clear in line filter, I look at it all the time so there is some opportunity there for me to spot a contamination issue. I do think it would be wise for ford to use a clear bowl somewhere so that the fuel is visible. Probably would knock down most of the dirty fuel problems that come as a complete surprise to folks.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:01 AM
System
Prolocutor
The problem with draining is, what are the odds you'll do it at the right time? Slim to none in the OP's case. Even if he drained every morning or every night, it wouldn't have saved him. The damage was done within hours of filling up....

Old 09-15-2016, 07:32 AM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ricohman
If you are using an emulsifier additive, it will allow the water to move past the filter.
Didn't see where the OP said he was using an emulsifier additive but that's a definite no-no in HPFP fuel systems. It'll let the water go past the filter and into the injectors.

Depending on how much rust is in the system it could have started before this fill up.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:50 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
How could you have water in the fuel without throwing a WIF? The emulsifier would prevent it from settling in the bowl and throwing the WIF? I guess I'm learning here but rust would make it past the filter media? I guess I'm like Justin and lucky and happy. I've never even drained mine and I fuel up wherever.
Easy.
You add an emulsifier and it breaks the water down into small particles and holds it in suspension within the fuel.
This fuel then passes through the filters WITH the water. Then, on the other side of the filter, water contaminates the works. And rust forms.
The rust particles didn't pass through the filter. They are a product of the water that passed through.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:55 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by FUZZYDP
I use Lucas in every 3rd tank.
If Lucas additive is an emulsifier, doesn't that mean that water passed through the fuel filter (any filter) and the rust was then created by the fuel system components that exist post filter as the water and fuel mixture passed through the system? This could have been a cumulative effect, happening since you started using this additive, if the Lucas additive is an emulsifier. Isn't this what we are saying?

I did a quick google on Lucas and find several places where it's stated that Lucas is an emulsifier but I cannot find this in a Lucas link.

Not trying to blame you or stand up for Ford, just thinking this through in my own mind.

bruce...

Old 09-15-2016, 08:01 AM
System
Prolocutor
Easy.
You add an emulsifier and it breaks the water down into small particles and holds it in suspension within the fuel.
This fuel then passes through the filters WITH the water. Then on the other side of the filter water contaminates the works. And rust forms.
The rust particles didn't pass through the filter. They are a product of the water that passed through.

So, it wasn't just one bad fill up then? If it was, there certainly wouldn't be time for rust to form. Thanks for explaining it. Makes sense now.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:17 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,702 Likes on 1,669 Posts
Easy.
This fuel then passes through the filters WITH the water. Then on the other side of the filter water contaminates the works. And rust forms.
Thank you!!!! You said it better than I would have!!
It is a cumulative process!

And pretty much ALL modern diesels are high pressure common rail systems, and none are immune to this problem!

Old 09-15-2016, 08:19 AM
JenC
Freshman User
Just wanted to confirm this is not a Ford exclusive issue. I know that probably doesn't help this debate but...

This is any 2007+ vehicle and a handful of vehicles before that year as well.

I've had Duramax guys call begging for a system, Cummins guys, BMWs, Mercedes, etc. It sucks, but even my Volkswagen will potentially have this issue one day. Even worse is that we can't use our particular system design on any vehicle that has the pump in the tank - like my Volkswagen.

We realized the importance of the system when our own 2011 had a failure and Ford denied the warranty. I don't think our light ever even came on until the very end when the truck wouldn't run anymore. I'm not sure if it's the poop quality of the fuel or the true inability of current technologies on the vehicles or a mixture of both. All I know is that it blows and I'm not looking forward to fixing it on my car when it does happen.

Blah.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:24 AM
Sancho
Tuned
Are the cp3 pumps more Tolerant? I want to go back to diesel, but still undecided.

Quick Reply: DONE😡😡😡😡