1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Frame off restoration

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 03:57 PM
PalumboTruckBully
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frame off restoration

Anyone actually set out to do a frame off restoration and finish it?
I'm thinking of either selling my bullnose or completely tearing it down and doing a complete restoration.

Wondering if anyone has done it where to start. I'm thinking rebuilt 300-6 with mild cam, dsII and carb upgrade, and new intake/exhaust. Also upgrading the trans and suspension. After that will be looking to paint. Am I crazy? Or should I just cut my loses and sell it. Let me know what you guys think.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:07 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Many of us Have, Kinda the

point of this web sight, Education, encouragement, excitement.....

Old 09-04-2016, 04:29 PM
PalumboTruckBully
New User
Beautiful trucks. I guess the point I was trying to make was, I see a ton of threads talking about how people are gonna do a complete resto and often the thread stops somewhere in the middle of it. I don't know if people lose interest or run out of money. So I guess my questions to guys that have actually completed it is: how long did it take you? How much did you have to invest? Was it worth it? I have about 5k into my truck now and the engine is missing, I need some body work inside the cab, need a new clutch and a couple other things. I wouldn't mind putting another 5k into it if that would fix all my problems and give me a pretty reliable truck. Thoughts?

Old 09-04-2016, 06:46 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Years into it are = to your level of priority.... A "must get it done" vs the week end warrior project.

Cost is based on the severity of the initial carcass (truck body and drive train).
Now, is this going to be the daily driver, a fair weather ride, or a show/trailer queen?

The only one that can pull the plug on your project is you.... you got frustrated with it and sell?

The significant other despises it..

More dreams than money?

Only you can say "yes this IS getting on the road", but how soon...

Old 09-04-2016, 08:42 PM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Frame off restorations are not cost effective. They are not a good investment. The resulting vehicle's market value will only be a fraction of what you have into it not even counting your time. If you just want a nice truck, then shop the car traders and buy one already restored....

Frame off restorations are a labor of love. The difference between the guys with show trucks and the guys who write dead-end build threads is the guys who succeed love the journey of building it as much or more than the finished result. It's not just "how bad do you want it" (which is part of it) but also how much do you love doing it. If the build process is a chore for you the chances are very good that your patience will run out.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:28 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,136 Likes on 1,818 Posts
Not finished yet but working to it! https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...lare-side.html

Mine was just going to be a "get it fixed and on the road" and the snow ball got bigger! The more I got into the "fixing" and finding more wrong I thought it was best the way I went with frame off.

It was never going to be a show truck just a nice looking driver and be able to throw things in the back and a backup to pull my car trailer. I bought a parts truck and using the best parts between the 2 trucks and replacing what has to be to get it on the road. So it may not have the door weather strip seals or window fuzzies, etc. when back on the road as I can do them later.

BTW this was started mid DEC 2015, did not do much during the summer as it was way too hot to do any work in my garage.
I can also do most if not all the work myself where others may not be able to do this.

I also have an older car (1970 AMC) that I have had over 20 years and started a rebuild about 7+ years ago. Part of that was I did not have a big garage like I have now to work on it. It goes back in the work garage when the truck is done.
Dave ----

Old 09-04-2016, 10:35 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Just like mine Dave, rebuilt it just for me and enjoy it ......But I do like the looks form people, and the "What year is that?" "That is cool!" statements.....

Old 09-05-2016, 07:16 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,136 Likes on 1,818 Posts
Originally Posted by reamer
Just like mine Dave, rebuilt it just for me and enjoy it ......But I do like the looks form people, and the "What year is that?" "That is cool!" statements.....
Oh yea that is the truth!
It gets even better when they ask "who did the work" and you can answer "I did it all" then pull out your phone and show pictures you took when building it.

This is not done to "fix n sell" because as said I would never get back what I have in to it just in parts. Yes there are some parts of the build I do not like but for the most part I like doing it and that keeps me on track to finish it.

As reamer said I built (building) it for me to use and enjoy.
Dave ----

Old 09-05-2016, 08:34 AM
rowdyredneck
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I did a frame off restoration on mine around 15 years ago. My body was rusted beyond hope so I found a cab, doors, and box out of New Mexico. I did everything except the paint. Its strictly a toy...it never sees rain or snow and never hauls anything. I'm very particular about when and where I drive it and it gets stored during the winter months so its still in immaculate condition. I've probably invested close to $20K in this truck since I've owned it plus lots of blood and sweat, but I never plan on getting rid of it. Seeing people's heads turn and getting compliments on it almost every time I take it out make it all worthwhile. I built it the way I wanted and I built it to enjoy.

Name:  Untitled-Scanned-02.jpg
Views: 2239
Size:  45.5 KB

Name:  002-23.jpg
Views: 2571
Size:  108.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1172-2.jpg
Views: 2309
Size:  57.2 KB

Old 09-05-2016, 11:23 AM
reamer
Logistics Pro
[QUOTE=Ford F834;16549286]Frame off restorations are not cost effective. They are not a good investment. The resulting vehicle's market value will only be a fraction of what you have into it not even counting your time.

Not Always true,, The Bronco (above) picked up for 3 grand, (driveable at the time of sale) put 3 grand into it, sold for 20 grand.

1948 F-5, Bought for $700. Put 4 grand into a frame - off. Sold for 10 Grand..

Old 09-05-2016, 12:01 PM
bobs 80 f250
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I restored my truck,but didn't do frame off. New motor,drivetrain,and suspension parts. It took me about a year between having foot surgery and the winter. But know I have the truck I always wanted. People DO ask what year it is and can't believe me when I tell them(it's an 80). You'll find out all kinds of little things that can and will go wrong,but in the end I'd do it again,,,,,and maybe soon to my first car I ever owned ,,,a 66 mustang, which the truck can trailer!!!!

Old 09-05-2016, 08:34 PM
PalumboTruckBully
New User
thnks for the input fellas, i appreciate it very much. Fuzzface, I just read through your thread, and I am happy as all hell my truck doesn't need as much work as yours. You are doing an amazing job, cant wait to see how everything turns out.

I am going to keep it. It is not my daily so I have plenty of time to work on it. Gonna start with the frame, then do body work, suspension, then figure out drivetrain and accessories.

I have some experience working on diesels but aside from the little bit of work ive done on this truck, none when it comes to bullnoses. With all the smart people in this forum i should be ok.

Bob i will kind of be doing something similar to what you've done. Cant wait to start.

Reamer that 48 is a beaut. Incredible work.

I hope by the end of this I'll have a truck close to what you all have.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:42 PM
PalumboTruckBully
New User
here are a couple photos of what I am starting with. the 90 sitting there is what im pulling my trans out of, also gonna pull the exhaust manifold and hopefully a bunch more.

Attached Images    
Old 09-05-2016, 09:29 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Is that a shortbed?
What color?

Old 09-05-2016, 09:34 PM
PalumboTruckBully
New User
yeah its an '86 shortbed, was black from factory with grey interior. When I got it there were a ton of rust spots so I did what i could and spray primered the body. The tailgate door I got from a buddys truck thats why it is a different color. I swapped out the bench for buckets and a console. The '90 was maroon longbed from factory but prev owner painted it black before I bought it. After I finish the 86, im gonna rebuild the engine from the '90 and try to drop it in a bullnose bronco. I have a ton of work to do before I even sniff that project though.

Quick Reply: Frame off restoration